650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Real Quick Clutch Q?

Real Quick Clutch Q?
    Forum Index -> Drive
Aussie650

PostPosted: September 15, 2009, 9:38 pm    Post subject: Real Quick Clutch Q?

Hey all, my Clutch is not disengaging. I have done all the research and have basically been elimenating posibilities one by one. Have properly adjusted the cable, then snapped it, bought a new one, Checked actuator, lost ball bearing, bought a couple more, still didnt work. So off came the other side to check everything out. I now have an idea of how clutches work. pretty cool actually, anyway I think my problem is due to the fact the plates are grabbing on the Basket. Have read that these need to be filed. Just want to confirm this is where i am to file? 99% sure im right but just want to double check. Cheers. Heres the pics.

clutch 001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.46 KB
 Viewed:  256 Time(s)

clutch 001.jpg

clutch 002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.09 KB
 Viewed:  276 Time(s)

clutch 002.jpg

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 15, 2009, 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Quick Clutch Q?

You're right in that yes, that is the place that can need attention. badly grooved there, the plates can be held up & the clutch wont disengage!
Mine were a lot worse than that when I had to do it.....not 100% sure that is your problem.

When/if you file them (and yours look as though they may have been filed before). It's important not to take too much material away, or you will end up with a lot of transmision snatch, as the driveline takes up all that extra slack your giving it!

I guess if you feel you need to, you can file (don't go as far as completely flat) yours & if it ends up having too much play, then you can start looking for a new basket!

What gave you trouble in the first place? If you've had the clutch apart, did you know there is only one correct way to reassemble the hub, even though it can go on 6 different ways?

Also need to know there is a washer either side of the thrust roller bearing, some manuals show only one!

Retiredgentleman posted something up not so long ago that gives the measurements of how much pushrod you should have sticking out before you put the alternator cover back on, it can't be too many posts down!

Aussie650

PostPosted: September 16, 2009, 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Real Quick Clutch Q?

Thanks for the reply yamaman. The Clutch was working OK but from Lack of riding has Stopped dissengaging. Is the first time apart, so had to of been lined up properly. After I had the cover off, I depressed the clutch lever to see how it all worked in there and noticed that the plates appeared to be catching on the bottom of the basket? They were't coming out as far as the top, Might have been my eyes but thats what i thought?

I have read most of the clutch posts (where i got all the ideas) but not sure if i came across Retiredgentleman's measurements...... that sounds wierd! ill see if I can find them. thanks and any other ideas are welcome.
Aussie650

PostPosted: September 16, 2009, 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Real Quick Clutch Q?

Just found it, 1 and 15/16 of an Inch or for Aussies, thats 49.21mm close enough 5cm.
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 16, 2009, 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Real Quick Clutch Q?

Aussie650,

Here is a link to the clutch alignment marks that must be checked when you reassemble the clutch:

www.650motorcycles.com...mbly1.html

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 16, 2009, 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Real Quick Clutch Q?

If it's been sitting idle for a while, the plates will stick together. It just needs to be ridden.
Put the bike in 2nd gear, pull in the clutch & pull the bike backwards (gently, no need for an iron man) and then push forwards till it catches, plus a tad more. Repeat until the clutch frees up, then take it for a run!

Filing the basket is a last resort, due to what I mentioned above, so if you can get away with not doing it, all the better. Cheers

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 16, 2009, 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Real Quick Clutch Q?

Just thinking a bit more about this, when mine got so bad I had to file the basket; the clutch wouldn't engage! The grooves were so bad, they were holding the clutch apart under spring pressure!

Yours really don't look that bad, I guess a light dress up wouldn't hurt.
Just the fact you've had the clutch pack apart will more than likely solve your problem!

I'm guessing the plates were sticking at the bottom as that section may have been bathing in oil, the top 2/3rds having dried up during the long rest that it's had?????????

Soak your plates in engine oil overnight before reassembly (this is for new plates, though as yours have been standing a while, why not)if it's not too late. No biggie if it's already too late, good luck!

Aussie650

PostPosted: September 16, 2009, 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Real Quick Clutch Q?

Hey Yamaman, what your saying makes a real lot of sense. I did try the rocking trick but was a bit scared of doing the whole heman thing and breaking something! I haven't filed yet, so might just pry the plates apart first, put it back together and have a crack. Do seem to be stuck togeher when i pulled them out. Thanks again, and ill keep you posted. Also thanks pamcopete for the link.
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 16, 2009, 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Real Quick Clutch Q?

Could hit the inside teeth on the steel plates with a wire wheel to remove the sharp side and dimple the long rod and push lever short rod..... to keep the rod aligned when engaged......should save the blushing and seal especially......made mine disengage perfectly.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Aussie650

PostPosted: September 17, 2009, 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Real Quick Clutch Q?

Thanks for that john, not 100% sure I know what you mean by the following
Quote::
dimple the long rod and push lever short rod..... to keep the rod aligned when engaged......should save the blushing and seal especially.
Ill see if i can search for it though?

I bathed the plates over night put it back together, think bike was in first? Back wheel is off the ground and after some gentle rocking of the wheel was able to turn it with the clutch lever pressed in! Woohoo, guess im on the right track. Guessing it won't spin freely due to the fact theres no oil to assist it? Was very stiff but moved. Will hopefully get a chance to put it back together tonight and will try take it for a run tomorrow.

Ill make sure the clutch is adjusted first. is this right?
1. Loosen lever by turning the adjuster all the way in
2. undo lock nut on the actuator side and do up screw until it just touches rod, then back off a 1/4 turn, do up lock nut
3. tighten clutch lever by winding out adjuster on handle till bout 1/16 of play?

Sound right? Thanks again guys.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 17, 2009, 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Real Quick Clutch Q?

Yeah, sounds right, the book calls for 1/4 turn off, most go for more like 1/8th turn off.

Skip posted an interesting bit about the clutch here
650rider.com/index.php...pic&t=9009
Sounds like it's worth a crack!

These bikes all have a generous amount of clutch drag, they can be a real bitch to push in gear/clutch in!

Aussie650

PostPosted: September 23, 2009, 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Real Quick Clutch Q?

Not one to leave a dead thread, So just thought id let you guys know that Yamaman was spot on

Quote::
Just the fact you've had the clutch pack apart will more than likely solve your problem!

I'm guessing the plates were sticking at the bottom as that section may have been bathing in oil, the top 2/3rds having dried up during the long rest that it's had?????????

Soak your plates in engine oil overnight before reassembly (this is for new plates, though as yours have been standing a while, why not)if it's not too late. No biggie if it's already too late, good luck!

Back together and took it for a spin. Went great. So thanks guys. Help is much appreciated.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: September 23, 2009, 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Real Quick Clutch Q?

You're saying they were stuck from sitting I take it?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Aussie650

PostPosted: September 23, 2009, 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Real Quick Clutch Q?

Yeah, sorry, guess i should have actually said that! haha Cheers again
despecial

PostPosted: September 27, 2009, 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Real Quick Clutch Q?

if you take your clutch apart some time again you can lightly bevel with a file the edges of the plate-dogs where they pass through the worn body teeth, helps them not to catch

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1