650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Boiling In Oil

Boiling In Oil
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
tudawgs

PostPosted: April 24, 2005, 7:18 pm    Post subject: Boiling In Oil

Since the rephase and 750 kit my YAMAMOTOR turned on me! Although the two upgrades gave the vertical twin an etirely new life I've discovered the oil in the crank case has turned into molten LAVA. Oil cooler and external spin on oil filter are in the works. I have a few ideas on the how to, but would certainly appreciate any helpful ideas or suggestions!!!!!!!!
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: April 24, 2005, 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Boiling In Oil

How about giving me some good news FIRST Mr. Green can you describe the differances between the stock vs rephase power, etc, cause i'm rephasing mine also...........

As for the overheating there are several idems to look at, if the ignition is to far advanced cause this will excessive heating problems, are the carbs running lean on you,but one problem associated with big bore kits,is the tremendous heat they produce and the XS motor design does'nt offer much in the order of air filtration between the jugs and cylinder head for heat dispensation and being this is a fresh built motor,there is friction to contend with untill clearances are loosened up. Your on the right track with spin on filter and cooler but locate both in the front.

Diesel, just joined with the site he road races,so maybe he'll drop a line and shed some mystery on this problem of over heating.........Jack
tudawgs

PostPosted: April 26, 2005, 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Boiling In Oil

To answer the question of stock VS rephase.The major difference is the way the engine performs. with the stock motor as we all well know vibration is a key problem,with the 270 rephase about 80% OF THE VIBRATION IS ELIMINATED. On the stock motor life ends at approximately 7500RPM, with the repase the engine still pulls hard at 8500 and still wants to go. Thats as far as i've had the nerve to take it. More miles more HA HA! You can pretty well throw your Kick start away too, allyou need to do is look at the electric start button and the engine starts. Oh by the way ,take the time to balance the crank, rods and pistons, the effort is well worth while. Since i did the last post I installed the the oil cooler(from a 750 Honda $25 and the flow through oil filter from a900 Kawasaki $10) . The filter housing takes the stock Harley chrome filter. I mounted both above the lower front engine mount. Carbs and timing were OK . The oil temperature is back to normal. Now i need larger rear view mirrors so I can see all the Harleys behind me in the distance!!! HA HA
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: April 26, 2005, 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Boiling In Oil

So whats with the oil turning into fudge? Thanks for the info..........Jack
tudawgs

PostPosted: April 26, 2005, 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Boiling In Oil

Plain and simple . Two on bike- not enough oil cooling equals boiling oil. Cooloer and external filter ,solves problem for rephase.
Photo Gallery
MUCMUC

PostPosted: April 27, 2005, 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Boiling In Oil

maybe a silly question, but what does a rephase kit and or a 750 kit
cost to do and where did you get.

mucmuc

WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 27, 2005, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Boiling In Oil

Try checking out the following links they should help.

www.650motorcycles.com/HopItUp.html
www.650motorcycles.com...77kit.html

Photo Gallery
tudawgs

PostPosted: April 28, 2005, 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Boiling In Oil

The 750 kit I got from 650 Central the crank i s a split he crank and offset 3 spline and press back together, the cam and valve springs from WEBCAMS and the ignition Igot locally but is available from a number of places such as Mike's in Fla. The prices really vary so make sure you really shop around.
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: April 28, 2005, 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Boiling In Oil

The rephase is a pretty simple procedure that can be performed by yourself but as mention 'Balance " dynamic balance the crank assembly,being you've moved rotating mass to another point ,which will alter the balance factor when in motion. Sortta like a wheel thats out of balance at a certain speed,well the same effect applies here but in RPMS

You simply seperate the cranks halfs and move forward the right side three splines forword,notch the timing chain sprocket and reassemble the crank with a 20 ton press...your done. Balance 250.00......camshaft 250 to 350 depending on who does it.ingnition with coils 250 to 275.00 and what ever else you wanna add :mrgreen:.Jack
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 28, 2005, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Boiling In Oil

"the cam and valve springs from WEBCAMS"

Does WEBCAMS have a website? or do you have contact information?

Photo Gallery
tudawgs

PostPosted: April 28, 2005, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Boiling In Oil

Yes WEBCAMS does have a site but beware they are a bit on the pricy side. You can get the same cam and springs from Mike's for a lot less and i think their cams come from WEBCAMS
Photo Gallery
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: September 8, 2005, 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Boiling In Oil

Thanks for the links! I have been trying to find these on the 650motorcycles site but I just could not find them on the long list of page links they have, I looked for hours! Thanks!

mo650chopper wrote:
Try checking out the following links they should help.

www.650motorcycles.com/HopItUp.html
www.650motorcycles.com...77kit.html

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1