650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > lowest possible oil level

lowest possible oil level
    Forum Index -> Engine
camoweasel

PostPosted: October 8, 2006, 7:33 pm    Post subject: lowest possible oil level

Today after a long 250 mile ride, I checked the dipstick on my 74 TX650A and was shocked to find that there was only a tad bit of oil on the very end of the dipstick, way past the low line. I know this bike burns about a quart of oil every 500 miles or so. Before I left, the oil was up past the low line and after it barely had any oil on the stick? My question is, about what level is considered to be starving the engine of lubrication? It ran great, the whole way and no new noises came about. I'm just worried that with that much oil missing, there might have been damage done. I refilled it and is good to go again for another long ride. Thanks.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 8, 2006, 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: lowest possible oil level

Take some oil with you and top it off when you fill the gas tank.
John
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: October 9, 2006, 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: lowest possible oil level

One of my customers this summer was useing oil and the bike would smoke on the left cylinder when filled to the sight glass, It was confuseing because the sight glass full was different then the dipstick full, He got sick of adding oil and said he was going to see how much oil it would loose, ran it all of a sudden it stopped smokeing, the oil barely was on the dipstick. He is still running it 4000 miles later, It came in for a starter gear and I filled it back up to the full on the dipstick and the smokeing started again untill it got back down to just bellow the add mark. This does not mean that I approve of his method but I cant win a arguement that it is wrong with him, he is convinced that yamaha messed up totally on both the dipstick and site window. His is a 81. by the way his level does meet the recomended amount of oil when you drain it completely he may be a pint low . Which is normal due to oil still retained in the top end and other cavitated areas. I would suggest that mayby you drain the oil completely and add the exact amount of oil recomended for your bike and then check your dipstick and see where it is at.
camoweasel

PostPosted: October 9, 2006, 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: lowest possible oil level

I did read that tech bulletin about the newer dipsticks and modified oil levels. The bike only has 10,000 miles on it and does use oil I assume. There is no smoke but it does lose alot the breather hoses, and the gaskets around the motor.
royfisk

PostPosted: October 9, 2006, 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: lowest possible oil level

Like I said I would drain the oil and measure it just to see how much is in there when it is full, If the bike has more then recomended then add just what is recomended and mark your dipstick. If not then you will need to go after your real problem. what the hell its only a drain and measure then refill, NO COST THERE except 20 min work..

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1