650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > To xsjohn & any other deep south finger pickers

To xsjohn & any other deep south finger pickers
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 19, 2009, 10:00 am    Post subject: To xsjohn & any other deep south finger pickers

John & others, my bro in law (spends a lot of time in Atlanta & LA these days). Needs a new accoustic/semi accoustic guitar. After some leads on some top spots to shop in Georgia. Not after top end stuff, but you know....a quality item for sure. In Aus I'd say around $1200/$1500, maybe that might be a bit much in the USA......So I guess $800 to $1500 price range. Cheers
TeeCat

PostPosted: November 19, 2009, 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: To xsjohn & any other deep south finger pickers

yama...

I can't speak to the Georgia issue because I'm in Maryland, but unless he wants to, he won't have to spend that much for a purpose-built fingerstyle acoustic. Pay close attention to Seagull. I have two... an S6 dread and a mini-jumbo. Those both have a 1.8" nut and the accordingly wider string spacing at the saddle for a fingerstylist. Seagulls, imho, are stunning guitars, and very affordable. Larrivees (1 3/4" nut) are also stunning, but now becoming more pricey. And I have a $300^ Recording King (1 3/4" nut) 000-body that's amazing. Careful before you write a big check for a guitar these days... might not need to.

John, you a fingerpicker? I'm nearing my 6th year of teaching myself.

TC
Photo Gallery
xjwmx

PostPosted: November 19, 2009, 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: To xsjohn & any other deep south finger pickers

A Yamaha guitar, of course Smile
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 19, 2009, 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: To xsjohn & any other deep south finger pickers

Sorry TC, "fingerpicker" was more a bit of literary licence, he has a Strat & plays rhythm & a bit of lead, not actual finger style as such....

I played a mates Seagull a few years ago, when they first appeared in Aus. Canadian aren't they? Yeah it was a very nice guitar indeed. He preferred to gig with that over his $$$ Martin! Plus he had a real nice Gibson...

It's going to be a xmas pressie from his fine Southern Belle, she knows I play & asked my advice, well i know the Aus scene & I know what I like......Yeah I figured prices might be a tad lower over there, bastards! Laughing Would spin her out if I could tell her what guitar,, how much & what shop & even directions to the shop Mr. Green

When he's at my place, he likes to play my Maton same as the one in this pic. Cost $850ish Aussie. So probably something in the same type of vein.
Though probably with a cutaway & a pickup would more suit his style.

product_maton-100_large.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.16 KB
 Viewed:  276 Time(s)

product_maton-100_large.jpg

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: To xsjohn & any other deep south finger pickers

Well, she ended up buying him a Cole Clarke Fat Lady 2AC, looks like one sweet guitar!
From Montana of all places!

acousticcentre.com.au/...5-5155.jpg

TeeCat

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: To xsjohn & any other deep south finger pickers

That's a beautiful guitar! Looks like a nice wide nut for a fingerstylist!

I like your Maton as well!

Guitar is a love-hate relationship for me... at just 6 years of self teaching I find that I'm simultaneously gratified, annoyed, and frustrated! Aaaah... the dream of getting through a piece without errors is elusive...

Oh, here's a meager effort on one of my 'gulls... the MJM6. Apologies in advance. Embarassed

TC
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: To xsjohn & any other deep south finger pickers

Yeah, I know just how you feel TC, though perfection is one thing I have never even contemplated....I'm happy if I can make some kind of noise & people don't throw stuff at me!
y bass got stolen.......was getting somewhere with that.....On the search for a nice old one to replace that.......Could even see myself hanging off a double bass, that'd be groovy!

Nice one TC, your doin allright, you wouldn't get too much stuff thrown at ya playing like that!

TeeCat

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: To xsjohn & any other deep south finger pickers

Thanks too much, yami... not that I fish for compliments, but I'm happy to have them when they jump out of the water and into the boat. Razz

Sad about your bass! Sad I have an inexpensive one that I got, thinking I might fool with it a bit, but I'm pretty overwhelmed between all my acoustic endeavors, as well as one hollow-body electric.
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: To xsjohn & any other deep south finger pickers

This is why I got myself a Maton:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQJ1k2HMoRU

TeeCat

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: To xsjohn & any other deep south finger pickers

Rats... at work... can't see the vid! I'll have a peek when I get home! Razz
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: To xsjohn & any other deep south finger pickers

Cool, check this one out too:

www.youtube.com/watch?...re=related

Of course the Messiah would cost 4 or 5 of mine....

Pretty good, but I think on the 2,439th note he played it sharp when it should have been flat Rolling Eyes

That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument! Cool

www.youtube.com/watch?...GEDNs&NR=1

Sorry to do this to you TC; Here Comes The Sun:

www.youtube.com/watch?...re=related

Last edited by yamaman on December 7, 2009, 1:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Photo Gallery
despecial

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: To xsjohn & any other deep south finger pickers

- seen him and his brother phil together several times now...always a good show

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: To xsjohn & any other deep south finger pickers

yamaman wrote:
This is why I got myself a Maton:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQJ1k2HMoRU

Ya know... it just ain't right! Confused I knew it had to be T the E. Razz

Does your Maton make you play like that? I thought about getting a Luna, but I'm not convinced that it'd make me play like Vicki Genfan. Razz
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: To xsjohn & any other deep south finger pickers

No TC, a $4k Messiah would be wasted on me, for certain.
Tommy is well known amongst guitarists around the world (Clapton, Vai to name a couple) as the best going around.

I once had delusions of grandeur.........I'm over that now though!

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1