650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Steve Mcqueen in Great Escapes bike

Steve Mcqueen in Great Escapes bike
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
Eeky

PostPosted: November 11, 2009, 11:19 pm    Post subject: Steve Mcqueen in Great Escapes bike

My respect to all veterans on this day, thank you. All the war movies are on and just whatched The Great Escape. Loved Steve Mcqueens attempt to out run the Germans. Wondering what he was riding? I'm thinking a German Triumph, they had a plant in Nuremberg. I read he did all his own stunts. Drove the directors crazy because they were afraid he'd get hurt and delay the filming but that was his style
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 12, 2009, 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Steve Mcqueen in Great Escapes bike

A great man, and a great movie!

www.mcqueenonline.com/...riumph.htm

gordonscott

PostPosted: November 12, 2009, 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Steve Mcqueen in Great Escapes bike

Hi Guys, I’m also a big McQueen fan and he was a true enthusiast and was a car nut as well. One of his best friends was Bud Elkins, he was Steve’s stunt double and is the one that jumped the fence on the Triumph. My friend owns three of McQueen’s bikes. Here I am on one of Mr.McQueens favorites, his Indian CHP bike. Steve liked this bike so much he kept it in his living room! A true bike nut for sure Cool

cimg3003 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  173.21 KB
 Viewed:  259 Time(s)

cimg3003 copy.jpg

gordonscott

PostPosted: November 12, 2009, 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Steve Mcqueen in Great Escapes bike

P.S. He was also good friends with von dutch. Here is a bike that Steve used to run around the set on while filming the movie "The Getaway" Look close and you can see "Done up for Steve McQueen by Von Dutch" Cool

cimg3009.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  241.02 KB
 Viewed:  231 Time(s)

cimg3009.jpg

Barbara

PostPosted: November 12, 2009, 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve Mcqueen in Great Escapes bike

Hi Guys,

As far as I know, the Triumph was a regular, post-war pre-unit Triumph twin, "tarted up" as the Brits say, to appear more military. I believe that BMW and Matchless were the only ones to use telescopic forks during the war, the Beemer on their R-75 and Matchless on the 350cc single they made for the British forces.

Regardless, though, it was a spectacular jump, and Steve McQueen is sort of a hero of mine. I mean, Jay Leno may have as many (or more) bikes, but Steve McQueen not only rode them....he *RODE* them! I have an article in an old Cycle World about Keenan Wynn and McQueen competing in a desert race, although I don't remember what they rode.

Great stuff! Too bad he went away so young.....

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
Eeky

PostPosted: November 12, 2009, 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve Mcqueen in Great Escapes bike

Just a little more info. Pamcopete had a link that said Steve Mcqueens riding was to fast for the camera men and he even doubled as a German soldier in the chase scenes. WOW he was so fast he was chasing himself.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 12, 2009, 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve Mcqueen in Great Escapes bike

You mean like the link I posted up the top of this thread, straight after your 1st post? Laughing

Heres a bit about the German Triumph Factory:

www.motorcycleclassics...G125L.aspx

Srinath

PostPosted: November 13, 2009, 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve Mcqueen in Great Escapes bike

Yes Gordon Scott - Bud Ekins. He died in 2007 if I remmeber.
Steve McQueen's replica's are available now a days. Rickman Metisse.

www.realclassic.co.uk/...63000.html

Not what I would buy, cos I can built it out of the XS or the GR650 I have, but interesting none the less.

Cool.
Srinath.
gordonscott

PostPosted: November 13, 2009, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve Mcqueen in Great Escapes bike

Srinath wrote:
Yes Gordon Scott - Bud Ekins. He died in 2007 if I remmeber.
Steve McQueen's replica's are available now a days. Rickman Metisse.

www.realclassic.co.uk/...63000.html

Not what I would buy, cos I can built it out of the XS or the GR650 I have, but interesting none the less.

Cool.
Srinath.
Hi Srinath, Very Cool Cool Cool thanks for posting, good read Very Happy My friend that has the McQueen bikes never met the man himself but was friends with Bud Ekins, that is how he acquired two of the three bikes I beleive, the HD he got at auction for a very large sum of $$$$$ Shocked You can just see a little of it on the left side of the picture, McQueens Kawasaki painted by Von Dutch is on the right side of picture (my left)

cimg3002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  233.86 KB
 Viewed:  199 Time(s)

cimg3002.jpg

JeffM

PostPosted: November 14, 2009, 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Steve Mcqueen in Great Escapes bike

Sidecars for you Gordon!

Wonder if they are watching Bud Ekins in the group shot...

greatescaperiders.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.04 KB
 Viewed:  190 Time(s)

greatescaperiders.jpg

mcqueen1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  16 KB
 Viewed:  191 Time(s)

mcqueen1.jpg

JeffM

PostPosted: November 14, 2009, 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Steve Mcqueen in Great Escapes bike

Sidecars for you Gordon!

Wonder if they are watching Bud Ekins in the group shot...

greatescaperiders.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.04 KB
 Viewed:  201 Time(s)

greatescaperiders.jpg

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1