650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > shortened turn signals

shortened turn signals
    Forum Index -> Electrical
nj1639

PostPosted: October 31, 2009, 9:05 pm    Post subject: shortened turn signals

Do your stock length turn signals grab and snag everything in sight?
Here's a solution and it's not rocket science. If I, a dirt floor mechanic using rudimentary tools can do it, you can do it too.

First, gut the turn signal

Next, take a 'T' shirt, any color will do, fill the cup of the signal with material and wrap the remainder around the body. This will cushion the signal while being held in the vise.

Break out the sawzall with a metal cutting blade installed and cut the lower section of the signal off.

Next, I take my floor sander, invert it, and smooth out the fresh cut.

At this point, I wrap the signal again, insert it into the vise and drill for preperation of the helicoil. Not a bad idea to use a few drill bits of increasing size, finishing with the bit supplied in the helicoil kit.
The helicoil insert tool is marked 'made in china' M8x1.25, I forget what part number or the dimensions of the helicoil kit that I got for this improvement ( threw the packaging away, the package in the picture is for a smaller repair) but if you take the threaded hollow bolt to the auto parts store, they can hook you up. The kit is a bit pricey but comes with everything you need to do a half dozen of these.

Cutting the treads.

Inserting the helicoil

Finished

The ones on my bike

despecial

PostPosted: November 1, 2009, 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: shortened turn signals

- nice n easy...
- was it necessary to insert helicoils?
- could you have simply tapped a thread in the hole as it was?

PostPosted: November 1, 2009, 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: shortened turn signals

The first ones that I did were rough tapped, using the threaded bolt as the tap and they failed to hold under a good wrenching. Possibly with the correct tap it would work fine.

There's not much meat left for threading after the base is removed. The helicoil insert fits with a thread or two to spare and the end result is a good solid mount.

Also, the hollow bolts can be cut down to shorten them up and the cut end threads carefully filed for function.

xsjohn

PostPosted: November 1, 2009, 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: shortened turn signals

nj..........you bike looks nice.........makes me wonder again what all the chopping and bobbin is all about.......most don't look anywhere as nice as yours after all the cluster F.................and I know they don't run as good.......time spent on the things that really matter makes since .......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: November 1, 2009, 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: shortened turn signals

Thanks John, yeah, "pretty is as pretty does."
echanics should be first and foremost, unless it's just for looks and no function.

xsjohn

PostPosted: November 1, 2009, 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: shortened turn signals

Stumbled across this....... Laughing

“You shouldn't try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and it annoys the pig.”

ark Twain
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1