650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Anybody race AHRMA with a xs650

Anybody race AHRMA with a xs650
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
JoelC

PostPosted: October 18, 2009, 2:40 pm    Post subject: Anybody race AHRMA with a xs650

I'm thinking about racing production heavyweight class with AHRMA next year, just wanted to talk with someone else that is doing it.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 18, 2009, 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody race AHRMA with a xs650

Sounds cool, I race unlimited period 4 in Aus (period 4 being from Jan '62 to Dec '72. It's a blast, no keeping up with some of the big (up to 1300cc) Honda's, T500 Suzuki's, or even some of the better riders on equal/close hp ect. Still awesome fun......Do it man, you'll love it!

MM at 650 Central knows most things about getting these things going hard, and is a cool fella to deal with, shoot him a email, or give him a call, he's very aproachable. Good luck, cheers.

JoelC

PostPosted: October 18, 2009, 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody race AHRMA with a xs650

Hey thanks. I've been watching for a few years, decided it's time to try it.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 19, 2009, 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody race AHRMA with a xs650

Nice one, what mods you got planned? i'll runt through a few of mine for you:

34mm forks with twin discs, the 34mm forks allow you to use the old style callipers (much better in my opinion).
Frame braced at swing arm pivot point (if you wanna know how, just ask)
According to MMM, the best iggy is a total loss system, so you can run no rotor, less flywheel effect. I run a batteryless system with a RD perm mag.
Clip on bars, koni rear shocks, 34mm round slide mikuni's with K&N filters (I used to run no filters with velo stacks, till I re built the engine & saw the damage that does)! Some other mods, on & on. Cheers

JoelC

PostPosted: October 19, 2009, 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody race AHRMA with a xs650

The class I plan on running is basicly a stock class. You can't do much to the bike, other than safety related. You can put clubman bars on, take all the lights off, and alot of safety wiring.
I have a '75 I'll be using.
What year caliper are you using and what m/c?
I have to stay with the single disc but I want the best brakes I can get with that setup.
Thanks.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 20, 2009, 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody race AHRMA with a xs650

Joel, the most noticeable change you'll probably make is wheels & tyres.
I run 18" Akronts front & rear with a combo of Dunlp TT 900 GP front & TT 100 rear, might pay to have a TT100 spare for the front, as they are top wet tyres!

I run the old style XS callipers, 48mm, twin piston. A better unit than the later 40mm single piston jobs. The only drama is not being able to run the 35mm forks with those callipers. Though I have a nice fork brace, and find the 34mm forks very good anyway!

Running only one disc, and depending what callipers you run, you'll need a different m/c, here's a chart to help with ideal selection:

www.vintagebrake.com/m...linder.htm

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1