650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Clutch "Squeal" and Snatch pulling out from stop

Clutch "Squeal" and Snatch pulling out from stop
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> Drive
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: October 29, 2009, 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch "Squeal" and Snatch pulling out from stop

I have been following your issue and want to know two things. Do you have any feeling on what caused the springs to break as I assume you didn't put them back in that way during the rebuild.
Second you mean it'll take me 10 years to get this GD thing where I want it? DAMN! LOL On the bright side, only 8 years left!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
killer

PostPosted: October 29, 2009, 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch "Squeal" and Snatch pulling out from stop

Thankfully, the break in the springs was in the center, which kept any large part of the coils from escaping. If they were indeed broken during the last time I had the engine stripped down; I can only blame negligence on not noticing the springs were broken, and that the bearing in the basket was worn and wobbling.

I can't point to a single good reason the springs to be broken other than age and usage. One looked like it could have been broken for years the way the edges were worn down at the break point. I know my bike was abused greatly before I owned it, as it was a non-runner being used as a dirt bike, when I got it in 1999. I've learned so much about mechanical things in general just by making mistakes resurrecting this bike. Embarassed It really prepared me for my subsequent bike rebuild.

"Learn by doing", I suppose.

Back in 1999, it was only supposed to be my learner bike, I never thought I'd have it this long and actually prefer it to the many others I've ridden and owned since the beginning.

1979 XS650 2F0

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2