650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Valve lash: gotta knuckle down...

Valve lash: gotta knuckle down...
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> Engine
tacoswild

PostPosted: October 15, 2009, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve lash: gotta knuckle down...

Don't sweat it too much TC. It's not super critical how much drag you feel on the gauge, you just want to make sure it's not way out of spec. The clearance is going to change as soon as the bike heats up and I bet no two bikes change to exactly the same value, so how accurate can you really get it anyhow? You can also change the clearance on purpose (within reason) as a way of tuning things. More clearance favors the low RPM performance.

This is actually a lot easier than some of the things you've already done.
Skip

PostPosted: October 15, 2009, 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve lash: gotta knuckle down...

Hey TeeCat
You have done much more challenging repairs to your bike than the adjustment of the valves,so don't sweat it,you can do it!
I, as well as Gordo have Mikes allen head adjusters and this is money well spent.It makes the adjustment process that much easy and is a cheap mod!
As far as the feel of drag on the feeler gauge goes it will get easier with practice.
Remember TeeCat, this kind of stuff is what set you apart from the guys who wash thier bikes and that is the closest they get to doing anything mechanical to thier machines and pay $70.00 an hour labour rates.
Be proud of the fact that you are willing to "get your hands dirty", we are a dying breed!

Please check out my wifes web site!
www.dlgcreations.com
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: October 16, 2009, 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Valve lash: gotta knuckle down...

Quote::
Don't sweat it too much TC. It's not super critical how much drag you feel on the gauge, you just want to make sure it's not way out of spec. The clearance is going to change as soon as the bike heats up and I bet no two bikes change to exactly the same value, so how accurate can you really get it anyhow? You can also change the clearance on purpose (within reason) as a way of tuning things. More clearance favors the low RPM performance.

This is actually a lot easier than some of the things you've already done.

taco, thanks much. I'm no metalurgist, but I'll bet you're right. I just have nightmares about pistons with holes in them coming out from under the bed in the dark to get me. Razz But you're right... a lot of the other stuff I have done has been a bit challenging.

Quote::
Hey TeeCat
You have done much more challenging repairs to your bike than the adjustment of the valves,so don't sweat it,you can do it!
I, as well as Gordo have Mikes allen head adjusters and this is money well spent.It makes the adjustment process that much easy and is a cheap mod!
As far as the feel of drag on the feeler gauge goes it will get easier with practice.
Remember TeeCat, this kind of stuff is what set you apart from the guys who wash thier bikes and that is the closest they get to doing anything mechanical to thier machines and pay $70.00 an hour labour rates.
Be proud of the fact that you are willing to "get your hands dirty", we are a dying breed!

This all makes me feel a lot better. But since you have mentioned the adjusters, do you think I should go ahead with this for now (at least check my specs), and order the adjusters for the next time, or wait til I have the adjusters?

And while I certainly did not build this bike myself like a lot of the guys here - huge kudos to them - she's a far different bike now than when she came home in the back of a buddy's pickup.

OH! While I think of it... I plan to replace my ATU this weekend. Mike's shipped it assembled, but with the lock ring separate. Looking at several pics, and mine (as I recall it from replacing springs), do the springs and weights need to come off both units for me to remove the existing unit and install the new one? I'm a bit concerned about breaking those e-clips. Seems a bit odd that it would ship assembled, only to have to come apart for installation.

Thanks, guys!

TC
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 16, 2009, 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Valve lash: gotta knuckle down...

Such a deal is made of adjusting the valves....I just turn the crank till the valve rises and stops and then turn the crank a bit more to be sure it has cleared the lobe and adjust..........that simple......then go to the next one.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 16, 2009, 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Valve lash: gotta knuckle down...

Just bloody shove a feeler gauge into your bloody rockers & check it for christs sake! If they are out by more than a thou, bloody well adjust them as well while you are there! Twisted Evil Wink
TeeCat

PostPosted: October 16, 2009, 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Valve lash: gotta knuckle down...

You've allayed my concerns about the valves, guys... thanks for that.

Thoughts on the ATU question? I know chef replaced his, but I don't recall his having mentioned taking his ATU apart.

TC
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 16, 2009, 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Valve lash: gotta knuckle down...

Besides there are more important things like .........MJ and Lettermans Ho's....... Laughing
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: October 16, 2009, 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Valve lash: gotta knuckle down...

*coughs*

You've allayed my concerns about the valves, guys... thanks for that.

Thoughts on the ATU question? I know chef replaced his, but I don't recall his having mentioned taking his ATU apart to do it. Seems like there'd be no way to pull the old one or install the new one without getting the weights out of the way; I'm asking be cause it seems odd to ship it assembled if that's the case.

TC
Photo Gallery
Visegrippe

PostPosted: October 19, 2009, 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve lash: gotta knuckle down...

take the nut off the through shaft, remove the disk, undo the lock nut and remove. the locknut stays held by the weights. installation is the reverse.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2