650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Changing out the swing-arm?

Changing out the swing-arm?
    Forum Index -> Drive
Barbara

PostPosted: October 11, 2009, 11:53 am    Post subject: Changing out the swing-arm?

Hi Guys,

I'm fighting rear-wheel spokes on my '77D, since I lug a sidecar around with her. Finding spokes is difficult enough, but constantly worrying about tightening spokes or taking the wheel off to replace broken ones is a pain, especially when I have a '79 with cast wheels and a rear disc. I have heard that because of the disc, you have to change out the swing arm...right? I have the aftermarket bushings on my current swing-arm...does anyone know if they will fit the cast-wheel swing-arm?

I went from the aluminum rim to a stainless one because of flexing, and the spokes lasted lots longer, but after 6000 or so miles, they are getting very loose now and requiring lots of attention. Since I have the '79 engine in the '77 while I am rebuilding her original engine, I guess the swing-arm and wheel wouldn't hurt. Not my favorite look, but functional with the chair.

Anyone done this conversion? Tips? Horror stories? Pleas for me not to waste my remaining youth in a fruitless quest? Something?

Thanks, Guys!

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
Waldo

PostPosted: October 11, 2009, 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing out the swing-arm?

Barb,
ikes XS lists the bushings as fitting 70-84 models, how about the inner sleeve, I changed it and the axle at the same time.
Waldo, Bellingham
Joseph

PostPosted: October 11, 2009, 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing out the swing-arm?

I think the bronze bushings are the same for spoke or mag. For that matter the swing arms are probably the same also I thihnk you have to have an arm up top to hold the caliper bracket on the disc brake verion and mounting arm on bottom for drums.
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: October 11, 2009, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing out the swing-arm?

Hi Guys,

Thanks! Maybe I can just weld the bracket for the disc on the existing arm? Hey, Waldo, is there a BMW dealer up in B'ham? (I'm in Mt. Vernon.)

I think tomorrow after work I will "offer up" (as the Brits say) the cast wheel and axle on the original swing arm and see if it all fits. If it does, I'll get my son to weld the necessary tabs for the brake. If not, I'll use the swing-arm from the '79.

Thanks for the input! Very Happy

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
Photo Gallery
Waldo

PostPosted: October 11, 2009, 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing out the swing-arm?

Barb,
No BMW dealer I know of. Do you have the bracket that holds the rear caliper, I have one plus the swing arm with anchor arm as spares.
Waldo
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 11, 2009, 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing out the swing-arm?

Do the complete swap. Swingarm included IMO. Have you considered the swingarm and rear wheel from a TX750?

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Changing out the swing-arm?

Hi Guys,

Well, what I'm trying to do is to keep it in the shed, so to speak. I have the '79 that donated an engine (temporarily) to the '77, and the swing-arm/brake/etc. is complete and if I can just swap them out, then (ahem) the price is really right. Like I mentioned elsewhere, I think the Universe is just pushing me in the direction I want to go....

But spokes look so neat.... Sad

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Changing out the swing-arm?

Easy swap Barb, good opportunity to check it all out in there & give it a nice dollup of fresh grease.

Also do you have a std pivot bolt? I'm sure your aware that they are prone to breaking, and especialy as you've got that chair bolted on the side, you might be giving it a bit of curry. So while you've got it apart, you can have a good look at that. Mikes has good pics of what the difference between original & new type bolts.

And if you chop the other swing arm, then your down to only one, and you'll have to add a brake stay to mount the drum wheel in the ex disc arm. Cheers

xsleo

PostPosted: October 16, 2009, 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Changing out the swing-arm?

When you change over to the disc brake you will need to change the brake pivot shaft as well. You will also need to mod the stop too. I used a bent piece of steel, bolted it to the existing stop and threaded a hole to line up with the disc brake pivot shaft. Then relocate your rear brake switch. Lots of little things. It was all worth it on my 75, I love my brakes. Looks kinda funny with a mag on the rear and a spoke wheel on front. I think that's ok because I can't see the wheels when I'm riding.
It might be just as easy to move the chair over to the 79 frame. Then do what you planned for the 79 to the 77.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1