650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > can't get to second gear....

can't get to second gear....
    Forum Index -> Drive
Bludbomb

PostPosted: October 11, 2009, 11:05 am    Post subject: can't get to second gear....

I just picked up an '80 xs650SF. After I bought it, I bought a battery and the bike started right up after sitting for a couple years. I never got it on the road because of some unrelated brake issues.

The dude I bought it from said the clutch was slipping and it needs new clutch springs. I ordered some new ones, but then snapped 2 bolts trying to get the little effers out, but being a metal worker I got the bolts out without any damage to the pressure plate.

I ordered the allen head bolts from mikesxs and got the springs in, albeit I dont know if I got them to the proper tightness, I just got them tight. It then took several attempts to get the kickstart set just right. Everything on that side is back together.

I haven't put any oil back in it out of fear of having to drain it all again (that maybe part of the issue?).

Now I am trying to run it through the gears to make sure that it will, with the engine off of course. I can only get it into first and back to neutral.
At one point I could hear what I thought was the pressure plate engaging. The clutch cable seems to be moving well when I have the left side cover off, it could maybe use some lube, but when I put the cover back on it seems difficult to squeeze.

Any suggestions on why I cant get it past neutral?
Thanks
Bludbomb

PostPosted: October 11, 2009, 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: can't get to second gear....

oh yeah.....if anyone has seen a related topic on here, please point me in the right direction. I have yet to find anything.
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 11, 2009, 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: can't get to second gear....

bludbomb,

Well, generally, the engine has to be running to go through all the gears, so try just rotating the rear wheel as you shift the gears.

Also, when you reassembled the clutch, did you do this?

www.650motorcycles.com...mbly1.html

PostPosted: October 11, 2009, 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: can't get to second gear....

Set clutch cable acording to manual, add oil for sure. I think you would have to be rolling to go through the gears I cant just go through the gears while my bike is just sitting in the garage. Unless ther are a huge amount of miles on it I cant imagine the clutch slipping due to wore plates.
Photo Gallery
Bludbomb

PostPosted: October 11, 2009, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: can't get to second gear....

Nice, thanks yall, ill give it a try.

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1