650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > couple of quick questions

couple of quick questions
    Forum Index -> Electrical
bigfozz

PostPosted: September 29, 2009, 3:23 am    Post subject: couple of quick questions

Hey guys
Some quick questions. Im just after gut instinct responses and not explanations of how to check everything with a multi-meter. Go for Broke.
My charging system died a while ago- Rotor is rewound, New reg/rect from mikesxs, new battery, still no charge.
1- reckon its the stator?
2- anyone had problems with the solid state reg/rectifiers from mikes?
3- are the pamco ignitions compatible with any type of alternator, be it stock or permanent magnet?
cheers!

despecial

PostPosted: September 29, 2009, 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: couple of quick questions

as far as the charging system goes youre never going to really know until you hit it with a multimeter-a slap test and bypassing the reg and checking with a mm will tell you quick enough if the reg is faulty

i have installed the rd conversion in each of my xs's both with and without battery and wouldnt have it any other way

i have a pamco running with a permag alternator and its fine-have never tried with a stock system however i havent read about anyone moaning about it so assume it works fine-he will let you know if asked-pm him here or help @ yamahaxs650.com

PostPosted: September 29, 2009, 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: couple of quick questions

Yeah.. i know you can never really tell without doing the tests.. and ive done some of them.. im just not completely sure of my results. and at the moment i cant do all the tests cause the bike aint running (over tightened a screw on the ignition and ripped the thread, so waiting for new parts).
so i was just wondering what peoples gut feelings would be. having replaced the rotor and reg/rect and battery i would just prefer to assume its the stator than some other possibility!!!
im thinking of getting a sparx pma and pamco ignition

despecial

PostPosted: September 29, 2009, 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: couple of quick questions

damn...reread and freaked then find theres no edit

slap=rotor...check rotor with key/kill on (power to the rotor)-should pull a .003 feeler gauge into it when held by the rotor nut

with key/kill on check voltage at the hot brush...if none then check that the + from batt to reg is live...if live and no voltage at brush then reg is done

PostPosted: September 29, 2009, 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: couple of quick questions

by assuming you run the risk of wasting money...
you can check much of the system without running the motor
the static tests just wont show intermittent problems

stator-unplug the connector and the yellow cable-check all 3 white wires against each other using the lowest ohm scale-should read somewhere between 0.8-1.0 ohms...then white to earth should read infinite

PostPosted: September 29, 2009, 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: couple of quick questions

cheers
the feeler gauge to rotor test checks out. it works.
Ill do the 3 white wire test again and see.
im just over it, and im willing to spend the extra money for a pma over new stator... i dont have much money... but i dont have a mortgage or kids either...
i promise ill do all the tests again.
just curious though- what the hell does "infinite" mean when using a multi meter? cause mine sure as hell doesnt have an "infinite" reading. it reads somewhere between 0.0000 and 1

despecial

PostPosted: September 29, 2009, 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: couple of quick questions

infinite on the large scale will read 0000 for a digital mm. an analogue will show a large number or go off the scale

PostPosted: September 29, 2009, 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: couple of quick questions

Wally ....(BS34)......try lowering the float a mm or 2........ and the 336 Y-0 needle jet is richer than the Y-O............which do you have down under......

To see if the pilot jet is to rich which I think it is not since I run a 47 and about 2 turns out onthe mix screws......get it to operating temps and then clean the plugs and then let it idol for a few minutes..... if the plugs darken then it is to rich on the mix screws.......but if the floats are a bit too high it will always be rich...

xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1