650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Rear brake/license plate light

Rear brake/license plate light
    Forum Index -> Electrical
XsRich

PostPosted: September 21, 2009, 10:35 am    Post subject: Rear brake/license plate light

Ok, bought a brake light with built in license plate light off of ebay.
Using the stock 82 wiring diagram I have the black, yellow and blue going to the brake light and separate license plate light. Now with the new light I have (3) wires: a green, a green/yellow and brown. I hooked up the light couple of different ways and it works when I use the brakes. The problem I'm having is the license plate light, which is supposed to run constantly, only lights up when the brake is being used. It does not run like as a running light. How would you guys go about wiring this tail light???

tl_gj_034_1_4_main.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.92 KB
 Viewed:  250 Time(s)

tl_gj_034_1_4_main.jpg

brakelight diagram.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.62 KB
 Viewed:  247 Time(s)

brakelight diagram.jpg

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 21, 2009, 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rear brake/license plate light

green is ground, brown is tail light, green/yellow is brake light so green to black, brown to blue, and g/y to yellow
XsRich

PostPosted: September 21, 2009, 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake/license plate light

Thank you, I will try this out tonight...
xsthomas

PostPosted: September 24, 2009, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake/license plate light

I put one of these on my bike today, I have the tracker one. My problem is, I can not get the tail light to come on, the brake light will work, but no tail light, I even put back on the old tail light assembly, and still no tail light. I have removed the turn signals, will that have anything to do with the tail light not working.
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 24, 2009, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake/license plate light

No, removing the signal's won't effect tail light unless you've unplugged the ground wire. Check ALL the fuse's with a test lite, visual inspection can be deceiving. Clip one end to the battery negative cable, touch the other end first to the positive post to be sure it's working, then to each side of the fuse holder's. The little metal clips that hold the fuse.If the lite work's on one end but NOT the other, bad fuse or connection. Also, check ALL the wiring connection's for corrosion, even in the head lite. These bike's are old & have been neglected for a very long time. The tail lite has it's own fuse that get's powered when you turn on the key.
xsthomas

PostPosted: September 24, 2009, 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake/license plate light

My first thought was to check fuses, but I do not see the fuses location. where is the tail light fuse you spoke of. Thanks
Photo Gallery
xsthomas

PostPosted: September 24, 2009, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake/license plate light

I just went out and checked a few things, I noticed the tach and speedometer light are also out.
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 24, 2009, 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake/license plate light

I believe it should be on top of the battery, under the seat. There is a cover over them ,marked fuses.On mine, there is also a rubber 'strap' that holds it all in place. Remove the strap, then lift the cover off. It snaps over the top of the fuse block. Then position the fuse block assy. aside for access to the battery/ terminals. Then start checking as described earlier.

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1