650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > Shock Absorber Question

Shock Absorber Question
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
mtc57

PostPosted: September 21, 2009, 10:30 am    Post subject: Shock Absorber Question

My stock shocks in a 1976 XS650C are shot. They look new, but there is virtually no damping action. It's like riding a pogo stick. So, here are the questions:

1) Can I rebuild the stock units?
2) Any opinions on whether Mike's XS units v. Progressive Suspension units or Omar's vintage red wings are the way to go? I'd like to keep it looking stock, or at least close to stock, but I tend to ride a lot of rougher backroads and definitely need some good damping. Thanks.
Photo Gallery
JeffM

PostPosted: September 21, 2009, 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Shock Absorber Question

No fun when you pogo over a bump in a curve!

I have been pleased with the Red-wings. I have them fitted on a 72 Honda that previously had no damping to speak of! I have about 5000 miles on them and still like them well enough that I ordered a pair to go on the XS2 (still in project stage so no seat time with them). Good damping and the spring is longer than stock, more travel.

I am sure that Hagons, Ikons or Progressives might be better shocks, but the Redwings are good bang for the buck and look right too. I bought mine from Omars.
mtc57

PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Shock Absorber Question

Jeff: Thanks for the feedback on the Redwings. This past weekend I spent most of the time riding the old stock shocks. Finally on Sunday afternoon I was opening up some packages that had been delivered during the week, and found that Omar's had sent the Redwings. DOH! I could have been on them all weekend. I installed them, and got in a short ride, about 20 miles. Very pleased with them. BTW, I just installed a set of Progressive 412s on a buddy's Honda Nighthawk 750, and I'm not sure they're any better than the Redwings. Maybe over time that opinion will change. Long weekend coming up, so I hope the weather will permit me a much longer shake-down with the Redwings. This baby is coming together. I set the points/timing, checked the valve adjustment, and need to fix the starter gear (sometimes it doesn't engage). Then once I get the stock exhaust back on it, it's on to jetting.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Shock Absorber Question

any of those shocks will be better than 30 year old mass producted cheap as we can stockers same as tires even a cheap tire is better than what was put on 30 years ago

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1