650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > compression test,hot or cold motor?!

compression test,hot or cold motor?!
    Forum Index -> Engine
smearny

PostPosted: September 18, 2009, 2:00 pm    Post subject: compression test,hot or cold motor?!

and what to do with the loose sparkplug?! hold it onto mass?!
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 18, 2009, 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: compression test,hot or cold motor?!

Could be carbon that you might could see down a plug hole...small focused light and maybe scratch around with a screwdriver...or maybe someone (PO) lowered the deck.......I got tired of the 150 myself and went to 135 for a smoother ride and all around running......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 18, 2009, 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: compression test,hot or cold motor?!

Couldn't edit the last message for some reason..........

Cranking compression at 150 is pretty much normal.......suppose if you get it running on a warm engine on one cylinder with the guage in the other hole it would go higher.............

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: September 18, 2009, 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: compression test,hot or cold motor?!

Just curious, what loose spark plug, and what is "hold it onto mass"?
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 18, 2009, 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: compression test,hot or cold motor?!

I do believe he's talking about the plug's that are removed for testing the compression. Holding on to mass I interprete as holding it up against the engine A warm engine is the prefered way according to the Society Of Automotive Engineer's, (SAE). A warm engine turn's over easier, & the part's have expanded to 'running' spec.
However, I feel that a 'cold' engine give's a truier reading, getting the result's of the pre-expansion reading's.
If you've got a burnt valve or holed piston, it won't make any difference anyway.
But a warm engine will give better reading's for your ring wear. The oil put into the cylinder's will flow better.

Joseph

PostPosted: September 18, 2009, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: compression test,hot or cold motor?!

"I do believe he's talking about the plug's that are removed for testing the compression. Holding on to mass I interprete as holding it up against the engine"
Ok got ya thanks, I was thinking the plugs would be disconected which is what threw me off.. .. when doing a compresion test does it mater if the other plug is in or out? I was thinking both of them would be out.

Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: September 18, 2009, 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: compression test,hot or cold motor?!

A warmed up engine, both plugs removed, Leave bike turned off, hold throttle and slides full open, Kick over with kick start 3 to five times. This should give you a good reading.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
smearny

PostPosted: September 19, 2009, 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: compression test,hot or cold motor?!

sorry,that was stupid.i meant with the ignition on,i heard that somewhere...but why?!doesn't make sense,off should be fine as well.
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 19, 2009, 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: compression test,hot or cold motor?!

If you leave the key off, you won't have to ground the plug's to the engine, 'cause there's no spark. Like Leo stated, warm engine is best.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1