650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > need ideas for battery strap

need ideas for battery strap
    Forum Index -> Frames
silver6

PostPosted: September 11, 2009, 10:22 pm    Post subject: need ideas for battery strap

Anyone have any ideas on a battery strap I can make and use on my bike? It's the fake oil tank/battery box that's welded to the frame. Battery is just rattling around in there. I keep stuffing foam on the sides to hold it a little bit but it's not working too well. I used to use zip ties and zip tie it through some holes in the bottom of the tray, but I have since mounted my reg/rec that I built on the bottom and don't really see any way to do that anymore. Space is kind of limited in the tray and am out of ideas! Thanks!
xsleo

PostPosted: September 11, 2009, 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: need ideas for battery strap

they sell very long zip ties, could you run one long one around the battery and between the reg/rec and the bottom of the battery box? Thats how they hold the gas tank on my garden tractor. Finding a replacement zip tie for that was fun. Almost 40 inches long, and 1/2 inch wide.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
silver6

PostPosted: September 11, 2009, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: need ideas for battery strap

Might work. Trying to rewire my bike to get it to charge and figured I would throw that out there while i was brainstorming. Thanks for the quick reply. Kind of scared that I will start it up and have the same problem of no charge. Everything worked but wouldn't charge. Did find that the brown wires on the back of the key switch would rotate 360 degrees. Got a new key switch and am hoping that for some odd reason it just wouldn't charge because of this.
xsleo

PostPosted: September 11, 2009, 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: need ideas for battery strap

Well the brown wires are where the rotor and regulator get there electricity, And they would turn 360 in the switch could very well mean that the electricity wasn't getting through well enough.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
silver6

PostPosted: September 11, 2009, 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: need ideas for battery strap

That's kind of what I was thinking. I am in the process of replacing the old connectors with new from mike's and making a neat and tidy wiring harness. Hoping this will cure my problem. Had some other things on those same wires and they all worked, but you never know! Thought about trying the battery on the tray on the bottom frame rails, but might mess up the looks. Also thought about somehow using a battery box strap for a boat, but can't seem to find enough room for the tiedowns for the strap.
mynameismudd

PostPosted: September 12, 2009, 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: need ideas for battery strap

hey bro, just thought i'd drop an idea for you. i use a battery tray at the bottom and like it BUT if you want to stay with your box you can still try what i did. you should have enough room on the sides between your battery and the walls of your box for this. you can even use 1/4" atr (all thread rod) being you have it inside a box. so, it sure will not be moving around then. drill two holes at the bottom of your can on both side of you battery and run your atr down the sides of your battery with a nut spun up so to have enough to get the other one on the bottom. measure to length and cut your rod and drill your holes in the 1/2"x1/2" angle and tighten down. also in the plumbing dept at lowes, home depot or etc. you can get a can of rubber coating to go over the angle(or flat bar if you rather use that) so it will not arc across your + & - terminals depending on the terminal placement on your battery. of coarse you would then just double nut it off at the bottom and i also did the top too. now i your case you can go to a local truck stop (cheap chrome parts!) and get regular or spiked cap nuts if the bottom of yours is visible. sorry if i went into too much detail on this. it is pretty self explanatory with the pic.
maybe this will help you out and happy building Smile

Photo Gallery
silver6

PostPosted: September 12, 2009, 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: need ideas for battery strap

Thanks for the reply Mudd! I thought about this very thing, but might not have enough room. May have to explore this option a little more. Might be able to use very small allthread. Dont know if I can get around my stuff mounted on the bottom of the box. Back to the grinding wheel!

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1