650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Performance Parts > > magneto

magneto
    Forum Index -> Performance Parts
royfisk

PostPosted: September 17, 2006, 7:46 am    Post subject: magneto

Has anyone tried running a magnito such as a morris? I was out in the shop and came accross a old mag off from a sportster and was juust wondering?
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: September 22, 2006, 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: magneto

Anyone with any info on the subject?
ChuckD

PostPosted: December 3, 2006, 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: magneto

I remember something about using a magneto over at XS650 Garage. It was awhile ago so I can't remember anything about it. Try a searce over there. Seems to me it would be a PITA retrofit though, unless of course, your into that sort of thing Shocked
royfisk

PostPosted: December 4, 2006, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: magneto

Ive been thinking that mayby a morris driven on the crank might work. only if the morris could alternate firing for single fire , then it could be used on the cam and retain the advance. Need to investigate more.
Barrett

PostPosted: January 22, 2007, 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: magneto

I have seen some Magnetos on XS650 flat/dirt track bikes. I would think that XLCH mag would be worth more to a sporty guy? Do you have the key to it? What do you want for it(I got most of a '67 sporty)?
I also have seen an XS with a stator and rotor off of a later model four wheeler to have total loss without having to have a battery. Both for flat track racing. Seems like they had to cut up the left side engine cover to make the mag work.
spickett

PostPosted: March 27, 2007, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: magneto

Hey Guys,
The most common Mag now is the one from ARD and most of the guys cut the case to keep it from lifting the tire in the turns when you bang it into the ground (did it myself three weeks ago in Daytona now I am cutting a skint up case!) not to be able to mount the mag. $300 bucks covered the mag with coil and the CDI box and shipping to Florida! Great system! Here is ARD's address if you are interested.
ARD Enginering
10628 Norwalk Blvd
Santa Fe Springs, Ca. 90670

I did try to use a Harley alternator a while back but it doesn't fit under the cover. I used a John Deere (Yanmar) tractor alternator instead and now have a brushless system that can handle halogen lights. I have some pics in my gallery if you want to check it out.
Later

Forum Index -> Performance Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1