650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Removing Miles from Speedometer

Removing Miles from Speedometer
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Drive
nsydyrhd

PostPosted: September 2, 2009, 8:13 pm    Post subject: Removing Miles from Speedometer

So the needle broke on the speedometer of my 650. When I bought it the light had stopped working also. I was able to find a vintage replacement on ebay, however this new replacement speddometer had double the mile on it. Is there a way to roll back the miles?
xjwmx

PostPosted: September 2, 2009, 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

Write down the real mileage and the mileage on the new speedometer when you first installed it. When it comes time to transfer the title to the next owner there's a place on it to put the actual miles if it disagrees with the speedometer reading.
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 2, 2009, 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

You can run it backward's with a drill & a piece of speedometer cable. The inside part, particularly the square that drive's the drag cup inside.
I suppose you could use your whole cable, sheeth & all. There is enough cable sticking out to attach a drill to it.
Don't worry about "bending the needle", because there is no mechanical attachment to the needle.
Go slowly at first, then once you know which way to go, speed 'er up a b
it, so your not there for hour's.

edit: not sure I shoulda told ya' that!!!!

xsjohn

PostPosted: September 2, 2009, 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

All usefull information.......a pilot program (a study) here in NC already going on to consider charging for every mile driven ........based on the odometer miles put in the computer at the inspection stations ........

ay have mentioned this before....funny thought.......
During my inspection the computer came back and said miles too low for year of vehicle.... 73K....... we imput it 3 times before it would take it....and now I bet my mileage has been flagged to watch........ big brother may come to my home to see...... and at that moment the drill would of course be hooked to the speedo......... Surprised

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
highspeedhamish

PostPosted: September 2, 2009, 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

Arent you already charged for every mile driven? Road tax, gasoline prices / tax and insurance? Might have to give blood eventually....
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 2, 2009, 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

Not every mile yet........ I'm moving closer to the beer store.... Laughing
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

www.odometertampering.com/

Big Brother is watching you Laughing think it's the vehicle shouldn't be a problem just resetting the speedo if you replace it with a higher milage unit

xsjohn

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

So if my odometer quits at like 75K........where am I going to find one with that many miles..... or am I going to need a lawyer if I put a 14K one on....... or do I have to take a chance on prison to run the 14K one up with a drill.......I'm so confused......... maybe the transportation czar will straighten this out..........
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

xsjohn wrote:
.......I'm so confused.............
truer word were never written........ Laughing

xsjohn

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

I really wasn't this way until Bill said he didn't inhale....... since then I wondered if he digested all those dpills too..... living with Hillary would require some sort of medication wouldn't it ....or would that be visa versa......... dang I'm still confused.......

Last edited by xsjohn on September 3, 2009, 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

Rather than risk damaging the speedo by running it back, I'd run it forwards around the clock till you get your desired reading.
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

Has any one ran one up 50-60 K......... 4 drills later kind of thing maybe.......and another wore out speedo........ or the 12 page request form and the 4 month wait for changing the mileage on the vehicle..... I'm so confused....
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

Diesel cars/trucks in New Zealand have to declare every km driven. You don't pay all/any tax on the diesel at the bowser, you pay tax on the km's you do with it.........Not sure if many try to buck the system there......Kiwi's?
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

Is this where these loons here are getting all their tax ideas...... from down under you think.........
Photo Gallery
blackwidow

PostPosted: September 14, 2009, 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

xsjohn wrote:
Not every mile yet........ I'm moving closer to the beer store.... Laughing
Guess I'll start walking Sad

PostPosted: September 14, 2009, 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

My bike is probably on it's second or third speedo, I couldn't care less about the mileage. Besides, I've been using a bicycle speedo for a couple hundred miles now.
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 15, 2009, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

I know that an odometer can be reset to the actual milage on the vehicle, cause when they break, as they sometime's do, we had to set them to the milage on the new one to the milage on the old one. Ford had a recall awhile back( gotta be 25 year's or so) & that's what we had to do. Even the digital one's can, opp's, nevermind!!!
IAmGrowler

PostPosted: September 15, 2009, 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

This is funny -- When I bought my '00 V-Star on Craigslist the seller used the low mileage (8,800 all in Caps) as a selling point and then noted in his list of improvements and upgrades that the speedometer was off of a '07.

Slow witted idjit that he was, he had a very hard time wrapping his mind around the question about how many actual miles the bike had on it.

Fifth gear was mostly gone and the alternator was fried, but in his mind it was still a low mileage bike.

BTW, the 'Gigs' section of Craigslist is a great way to find folks willing to do the repairs on your bikes that you are unwilling or incapable of doing yourself.

I had a Tech from a local Yamaha dealership replace both the alternator and fifth gear on my V-Star in exchange for about $800.00 in parts and materials and about 12 hours of my time (valued at $120.00 per hour) on my side of the equation.

He got a total repipe of his 2-1/2 bath rambler while I got over $4000.00 in materials and labor and a bike that shifts and purrs like a kitten -- And all it cost me was a weekend and parts and materials I already had laying around in the shop.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 16, 2009, 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

Access from underneath through plastic, unless you want to remove the glass first, insert a tiny screwdriver or similar between the first and second numbered cogs and just click back to the desired number, takes seconds, Ive done it plenty of times on bikes & cars. Ill post pics if you want ..
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: September 16, 2009, 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

xs1961 wrote:
Access from underneath through plastic, unless you want to remove the glass first, insert a tiny screwdriver or similar between the first and second numbered cogs and just click back to the desired number, takes seconds, Ive done it plenty of times on bikes & cars. Ill post pics if you want ..

Yes, pics please. I replaced my epa era speedo with an earlier model and would like to keep the mileage readings accurate.

xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 16, 2009, 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

No probs..Give me a day or so to get into my garage Smile
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 16, 2009, 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

Here we go..Not sure if the pics will upload in the correct order though.
Tools; Eraser-tipped pencil for pushing the drum round. Precicsion screwdriver to 'part' the drums.
Cut a small hole in the case with a dremel , peel back (folds back, after tampering,cover with tape) insert srewdriver between the two 'drums'/'reels' you want to alter, use the pencil eraser(or something similar) to click back the number(s)
Sometimes the individual reel can be clocked back without the insertion of a screwdriver but to add miles (in case you accidently go back too far) you will need to slightly prise them apart before turning.
The pics also show the alternative access method - removing glass & speedo drive completly if you have the patience !

speedo.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.45 KB
 Viewed:  300 Time(s)

speedo.jpg

speedo1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.78 KB
 Viewed:  295 Time(s)

speedo1.jpg

speedo3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.72 KB
 Viewed:  303 Time(s)

speedo3.jpg

Last edited by xs1961 on September 17, 2009, 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 16, 2009, 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

.the rest

speedo 004.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.4 KB
 Viewed:  321 Time(s)

speedo 004.jpg

speedo 012.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.78 KB
 Viewed:  315 Time(s)

speedo 012.jpg

Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: September 18, 2009, 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Miles from Speedometer

Can you just put the needle from the new one onto the old one. that way the miles will be the same.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2