650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > rebuild top end with ?'s

rebuild top end with ?'s
    Forum Index -> Engine
mynameismudd

PostPosted: August 30, 2009, 10:54 pm    Post subject: rebuild top end with ?'s

on a tight budget and have some ?'s real quick.
do i have to have new piston rings if i replace the pistons?
do i have to replace the cam chain and if not which link at mikes do i need?
how do i rivet the link in without spending too much on a tool?

now some of these ?'s may seem pretty damn stupid i'm sure i need to replace the rings but.... i have to ask these ?'s Confused
thanks

my name is mudd
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: August 30, 2009, 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild top end with ?'s

With the cam chain master link. I started by getting the chain on the cam, and getting the link in the chain. I put the side plate on and used a large pair of vice grips to start the crimp on the pins. I then used a ball peen hammer to finish the crimp. I used a large wood splitting wedge to buck up the backside of the link while peening the pins.
You can get the cam out without cutting the chain. It's a bit more work getting it out and back in, but can be done. You slide the bearings off the cam, This will give you just enough room with a bit of wiggling to get the cam out.
As far as rings and pistons go, you will know for sure when you get the jugs and pistons miked out. If they are worn too much you may need to bore to the next oversize.
If the cylinders are not to bad you may find a used set of pistons and rings that may work. their are usually a few sets on ebay.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
mynameismudd

PostPosted: August 30, 2009, 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild top end with ?'s

xsleo, my cylinders look pretty damn good. my brother who does a little work on dirt bikes said we MIGHT just be able to do a light honing on them for good measure. do you think used pistons are good enough. i blew a hole in one at the top and the other is fine. should i replace both or do you think i'd be fine with just replacing the bad one. and if i do can i use the same rings
from the old one? uno mas par favor. do i have to get them miked out
and where would i do that?

my name is mudd
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: August 30, 2009, 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild top end with ?'s

Most machine shops will do it for a small fee, check around.
Aren't all bikes running on used pistons. Yes just replacing one will work. A little honing may help the old ring to reseat better.
As long as the piston clearance is ok, and the ring end gaps are ok. It will run.
This should get you through until you can afford new parts.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
mynameismudd

PostPosted: August 30, 2009, 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild top end with ?'s

thank you sensei, i really appreciate this info. just saved me a lot, really Razz

my name is (grateful) mudd Very Happy
Photo Gallery
mynameismudd

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild top end with ?'s

does anyone know which cam chain link i need from mikes?

my name is mudd
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild top end with ?'s

Arrow

Last edited by 5twins on September 11, 2009, 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
mynameismudd

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild top end with ?'s

i just need to know which link to buy to put it back together Confused

my name is mudd
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild top end with ?'s

putting a new link on an old chain is not recommended. As for what link you need, Mikes is pretty clear on witch chain and link go on what model.
Photo Gallery
mynameismudd

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild top end with ?'s

fair enough, i guess i'll just sell more crack to get the money for a new
chain. whatever it takes, right? Razz

now you know why....

my name is mudd
Photo Gallery
tacoswild

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild top end with ?'s

If you can afford crack you can afford a cam chain, just a question of priorities. One of those beer or diapers kinda moments...
xsleo

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild top end with ?'s

I was kinda hinting at the same thing. You can scape together old used parts and it will run, how well or how long ? measure and replace the old with new and get a good long lasting runner.

Photo Gallery
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild top end with ?'s

no it's way better to have it fly apart and kill you at 70mph
mynameismudd

PostPosted: September 7, 2009, 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild top end with ?'s

oldskoolcool wrote:
no it's way better to have it fly apart and kill you at 70mph

i said i wanted to used old parts not bubble gum and come on now 70mph won't kill you. just let's you know your still alive. two kinds of bikers....those who have laid them down and those who will. Twisted Evil
but for real i really understand guys thanks for all your advise on the subject

my name is mudd
Photo Gallery
dpmphoto

PostPosted: September 15, 2009, 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild top end with ?'s

You really dont need to break the cam chain,I have done a half a dozen bikes and always managed to just slide the bearings off.saves money and time and really isnt that difficult to do

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1