650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Pedal Kicker

Pedal Kicker
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
Greasy_Shawn

PostPosted: August 24, 2009, 8:44 am    Post subject: Pedal Kicker

Any of you guys have a pedal kicker? I love the way they look but I'm running into a wall when it comes to makin one. I know ardcore will swap em out for ya but I'm shootin for budget here. Any ideas?
interex87

PostPosted: August 24, 2009, 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal Kicker

im on the same boat bro but im not about to pay like 90 dollars for it.
twinsarehot

PostPosted: August 24, 2009, 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal Kicker

I'm not exactly sure about how to install the thing, but I'm pretty sure there are pedal kickers on fleabay.

PostPosted: August 24, 2009, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal Kicker

Not shure this is the best way but this is what did. I took my kicker off ,removed the rubber ,ground off the head and some of the diameter till my pedal fit over it. I also drilled and taped the end, stuck in a little longer bolt with a washer .I just make shure that when I kick it over that most of the preasure is to the inside and not out on the end of the pedal. Its been working for the last 3 years this way without any problems.
Hillchop

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal Kicker

i bought a harley kicker arm and pedal off of ebay and ground the xs kickstart shaft into the square shape the harley arm requires...worked like a hot damn
mynameismudd

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal Kicker

Hillchop wrote:
i bought a harley kicker arm and pedal off of ebay and ground the xs kickstart shaft into the square shape the harley arm requires...worked like a hot damn

would love to see a pic if possible, hillchop
thanks Very Happy

my name is mudd
Photo Gallery
shaydaddy

PostPosted: August 28, 2009, 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal Kicker

I went to a bicycle shop to get pedals. they said they had this one without a match and gave it to me. then, I bought a cheap bicycle crank ($19). The bicycle crank is about the same diameter as the kickstart lever on my 650. cut the kickstart lever and bicycle crankarm. I then took both pieces to the local welding shop and they welded them for a dozen doughnuts ($4). all I have to do now is finish grinding the weld.

$23 Beats any kicker pedal you can find on ebay and I can change to a different style pedal anytime I want.

pdal 002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  150.84 KB
 Viewed:  321 Time(s)

pdal 002.jpg

pdal 003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.52 KB
 Viewed:  328 Time(s)

pdal 003.jpg

sure

PostPosted: August 28, 2009, 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal Kicker

shaydaddy wrote:
I went to a bicycle shop to get pedals. they said they had this one without a match and gave it to me. then, I bought a cheap bicycle crank ($19). The bicycle crank is about the same diameter as the kickstart lever on my 650. cut the kickstart lever and bicycle crankarm. I then took both pieces to the local welding shop and they welded them for a dozen doughnuts ($4). all I have to do now is finish grinding the weld.

$23 Beats any kicker pedal you can find on ebay and I can change to a different style pedal anytime I want.
please let us know when that snaps and busts you in the shin...
shaydaddy

PostPosted: August 28, 2009, 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal Kicker

I appreciate your concern, however I have been working on the carbs, and experienced the kickback on this bike. With the factory lever my boot used to slip off aand about break my leg. Which was why I wanted a pedal to begin with. Not because it looks cool although it does. Oh by the way I weigh about 250 lbs. so if that pedal was going to break it probably would have by now. Either way the welding shop I went to guaranteed their work and are very reputable.

P.S. I myself am a welder and have been weldin for about 15 years. So I know a good weld when I see it. The only reason I didn't weld this myself was that I didn't have access to a high enough powered welder at the time.

Greasy_Shawn

PostPosted: August 28, 2009, 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal Kicker

thanks for all the bitchin ideas. Im going to have a go at this thing sometime in the coming week. If I get anything decent lookin I'll pass it along
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 28, 2009, 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal Kicker

chopdoc wrote
650rider.com/index.php...ickstarter

This is a popsickle kicker:

www.raskcycle.com/cgi-...ker+Pedals (bottom of the page)

Little black button?

Oh c'mon guys.......ya know....sometimes that little black button does not work.....so even then...a decent kicker is nice.....

But honestly, who can argue with the cool factor of a popsickle kicker?

Pics tomorrow. I'll give the stupid easy directions now.

1) Buy a popsickle pedal.

2) Pull off the rubber from the new pedal, it comes right off.

3) Put the resulting bare metal stampings in a vice (with the kicker pedal spindle captured between them) and drill out the spot welds with a 3/16 bit.

4) You now have liberated the two stampings that form the core of the pedal, and relesed the spindle that can be placed in the "yet to be fabiricated" parts bin. (I will fit Harleys and classic Triumph Twins of course) You have also drilled your rivet holes for good measure.

5) Use a hacksaw to cut two lines in each stamping in order to clear the bulge at the end of your kicker. (I'll give some measurements for these cuts tomorrow.....but you can easily eyeball it.)

6) Use a 3/16 drill bit to "cut" off the end of the area you have cut with the hacksaw. Just drill into each end of the parallel lines you made to release the section you need out.

7) Use the dremmel to clean up your cutting and drilling....and test fit the new pedal by clamping the two stampings together with vice grips....then clean up as needed so it spins easy.

Pop rivet the stampings on your XS kicker arm. Use an alternating pattern so that rivets sick out on both sides to aid in holding the rubber firmly on.

9) Put the rubber on.

10) Kick start your bike....forget the little black button.....real men kick....and some very robust women too......

Oh....and step one should have been getting that original rubber off the kicker arm....whaich may actually be the most difficult part of this mod unless you decide to cut it off.....

Oh, and before you see the pics....I apologize for the state of my XS....it sat outside for 3 years and is slowly getting refurbished......runs great though, fisrt things first.......I ride it every day....

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1