650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Spark plug indexing

Spark plug indexing
    Forum Index -> Electrical
Imcgyver

PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 11:32 am    Post subject: Spark plug indexing

Hello I was talking with Harley and Kawasaki friends and came up with the subject of spark plug indexing, any xs owners try this and what results? I have a set of washers and am considering trying it.
Thank you for your time and response.
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug indexing

I do that to mine........I place the electrode away from the intake......some plugs are right and others need a washer.........then set the carbs so the black is between 1/3 to 1/2 getting rich up the side of the electrode.......real trick there with the hotter right cylinder....have a pic in my other computer of the plugs which everyone is sick of looking at I am sure....will post...........again....... Laughing

The Autolite 64's are from my 8-1 cr.........try Autolite 63's...good plug there for stock cr........

You can see the thin washer on the left plug to orient the electrode away from the intake.........

xsjohn

autolite 64\'s.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  193.89 KB
 Viewed:  229 Time(s)

autolite 64\'s.jpg

Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug indexing

deleted

Last edited by 5twins on September 13, 2009, 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Waldo

PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug indexing

John, what type of antiseize are you using? I noticed a lot of specks on the center electrode, got another photo, want to see the timing mark on the ground electrode.
Waldo
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug indexing

Waldo.......I know the timing mark on the electrode ...being a air cooled engine I set the timing so it runs the smoothest from 2000-4000 where I am at most of the time.........think that electrode timing color is for water cooled engines for max advance and power....

I use a lot of antiseize as you noticed.........and those 64's are over 2 years old......and as far as the crud on the plugs......pistons and bore have 73 thou on them......and it runs superb.....to say the least...and if it didn't I know someone that would be working on it... Very Happy ...and white porcelain on these means a hot engine to say the least.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Waldo

PostPosted: August 24, 2009, 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug indexing

John, don't be so defensive, my question was as a reference for my own use, that mark tells the story no matter what. I also understand plug reading, having worked on a few motors in the US and Europe over the years, I built these motors in the early 70s. The type of antiseize question was to help determine what I was going to use, right now my thoughts are with silver grade, it is very messy compared the nickle or copper. At 64 I am still looking for answers, and have not found the guy with all of them, do not take offense.
Waldo
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug indexing

John - I am still running Autolite 63's and they look good - grey in the middle and black around the outer threaded area. As a matter a fact I have run the same set all summer and they look pretty damn even.

Autolite claims the 63's are 1 step hotter than stock. But they seem to run well for me.

www.cafepress.com/650motorcycle
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1