650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Wiring Diagram for XS650 Simplified

Wiring Diagram for XS650 Simplified
    Forum Index -> Electrical
EmeryXS650

PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 4:14 am    Post subject: Wiring Diagram for XS650 Simplified

Does anybody have a really simple wiring diagram? I saw the Vault posts, but even those seemed to have too much. I'm looking for the bare minimum: headlight, taillight, rear turn signals and thats it. Thank
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Diagram for XS650 Simplified

You don't want to run an ignition? A battery, a regulator or rectifier?

If you decide to run with an ignition system, which one do you think you'll go with, points or TCI?

Cheers

Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Diagram for XS650 Simplified

You can't get much more basic than this diagram (for points). You can eliminate the horn from this diagram. You should add a 10 amp fuse in the wire running from the kill switch to the ignition coils.

basic points.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.34 KB
 Viewed:  8613 Time(s)

basic points.jpg

EmeryXS650

PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Diagram for XS650 Simplified

Thanks for the replies guy. I really know nothing about wiring, but I'd like to get rid of the mess of wires.
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Diagram for XS650 Simplified

Well you need to know what ignition you've got first! Is there a set of points behind the small shiney cover on the top left side of the engine?

What year your bike is will also help!

EmeryXS650

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Diagram for XS650 Simplified

I have an 80... I believe it's points... but you may know better than me
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Diagram for XS650 Simplified

mmmmmm, an American '80 model should have TCI, not points!
You need to remove the chrome cover on the top left side (when your sitting on the bike) and see whats in there! If there's nothing, you've got Transistor Controlled Ignition. Otherwise there should be a set of points or two in there!

Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Diagram for XS650 Simplified

Basic TCI for 80 to 83

tci basic jpeg.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.72 KB
 Viewed:  6468 Time(s)

tci basic jpeg.jpg

luketrash

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Diagram for XS650 Simplified

EmeryXS650 wrote:
Thanks for the replies guy. I really know nothing about wiring, but I'd like to get rid of the mess of wires.

Just get rid of em Wink Then you'll be forced to do it from scratch.

Here's what I've bought to redo my own from scratch:

Fuse block that has 6 circuits: 9 bucks
Fuses to go into that block: 3 bucks
A keyed ignition switch: 8 bucks

I'm using a points ignition. I'm going to try to bypass using a voltage regulator and instead use a cheap zener diode bridge rectifier and feed all the overvoltage right into the battery. The battery itself can act as a voltage regulator. The trick is to have a big enough battery and also to try to keep the headlight/tail light on at all times. That's how I'm running the electrical system in my Vespa scooters.

A bridge rectifier is a $2.50 part at Radio Shack. This is what they look like.

You feed AC into two of the posts and get DC out of the other two (one being ground and the other being +DC.) Voltage output varies with engine RPM, but the battery regulates it to around 13.8vdc.

Someone correct me if I'm off of my rocker.

simple_rectifier.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.02 KB
 Viewed:  490 Time(s)

simple_rectifier.png

sschering

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Diagram for XS650 Simplified

What are you guys using to make those wiring drawings?

William's Law ...
EmeryXS650

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Diagram for XS650 Simplified

wow... all that went over my head... I'm probably just gonna have someone wire it up for me... I'll be back to ask you guys if he's ripping me off! Thanks.

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Diagram for XS650 Simplified

Luke, it will work better if you use two of the rectifiers. The 3 whites to three of the ac inputs, link the negative and positive from one to the other. One to ground, one to battery plus.
This will give you the most output from your alternator.
You will need a regulator to get the alternator to charge. These 650's use a field excited alternator. That's what the brushes do. You could hot wire the rotor and replace the rotor every few weeks. Constant on will burn them up.
Your mod may work on the Vespa's, they probably have a permanent magnet alternator. And don't make much electricity anyway.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1