650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > 1980 strangely won't fire up again.

1980 strangely won't fire up again.
    Forum Index -> Electrical
mexipike

PostPosted: August 22, 2009, 11:16 pm    Post subject: 1980 strangely won't fire up again.

so I just bought and installed mikes new two into 1 set with the short reverse megaphone which seems a very nice set despite the kick starter not quite going down all the way. Anyway I installed it and ran it for a minute, then I went and did a few things then began to ride it to work. It started for a second and got kind of weak, died and then it wouldn't start, it kept cranking, and cranking, but wouldn't fire up. I took the plugs out and checked for a good spark but it seemed inconsistent and not very powerful. I'll put some new plugs in tomorrow maybe that;ll fix it.
Unfortunately I kind of doubt that that will fix it. Lately it's been a little weird, also, it dies sometimes at a light, after running really hard it'll just die. Or if I rev it a little, it'll just die. What does this sound like?? Could it be my cdi? Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
John
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 22, 2009, 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 strangely won't fire up again.

I would clean all the wire connections including the large wire plugs and the ignition switch and kill switch and use dielectric grease........then clean the carbs good including the pilot circuit........the carbs are really lean so any crud in them makes them unworkable.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 22, 2009, 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 strangely won't fire up again.

Time to get the dust off your multimeter & do all the basic checks. Voltage to all the right places & in the right amounts, also correct resistance in your charging circuit!
Plenty of posts around to start you off!

Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 22, 2009, 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 strangely won't fire up again.

The fuse panel is a prime suspect for this kind of problem. If the bike still has the original type fuse panel ( 4 fuse positions with glass fuses), you should remove it and replace it with blade type automotive fuses. The old panels are worn out and will cause many electrical problems. Solder and heat shrink the new connections.
mexipike

PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 strangely won't fire up again.

I do have the original type fuse panel, but it's a replacement from mikes. My carbs are fairly new mikuni vms and have been running good so I don't think their the culprit but I'll check. I guess I'll just start tryin things, I gotta go buy a new multimeter tomorrow, any suggestions on a good one. What would make it die when revved at a light?? Is there a good link for how to install the automotive type fuses?? If it were the kill switch or the ignition, would it actually crank and try to start and not turn over like it's doing now?? Thanks so much for helping me get through this??
mexipike

PostPosted: August 28, 2009, 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 strangely won't fire up again.

So I put new plugs in it and it and it worked again. I also cleaned up a lot of connections and put some dielectric gel on all of them. It worked fine but then it rained again. Whenever rains it seems to lose all hope. Last time I just swapped the plugs and it worked again, however it seems that only one is not working, they also don't really look fouled but chaniging them works. By this poing usually the bike is dry. Could it be that my pod air filters on the vms I have are just getting too wet and not working because of that? Last time I got the bike started and then limped it to the autoparts store, basically on one cylinder and got the plugs in and was good to go. any ideas???

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1