650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > What could possibly go wrong?

What could possibly go wrong?
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
RainLand
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 18, 2009, 5:12 pm    Post subject: What could possibly go wrong?

So, I'm going out to Indianapolis for the Moto GP races at the end of the month, and I "just happened" to find a 1975 bone stock XS650 in Kankakee.
So, I've decided to have the guys I'm going with kick me out there and ride
it back to Seattle.

It's over 2000 miles on a bike I've never seen in my life. I have a good parts stop in Colorado, about halfway back. I decided to make a short list of the most obvious stuff to bring. ( Other than a credit card and tools ). Any
suggestions?
Photo Gallery
2-Skinny

PostPosted: August 18, 2009, 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

A trailer...?
nj1639

PostPosted: August 18, 2009, 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

A journal, could make for an interesting story.
Xumi

PostPosted: August 18, 2009, 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

Let's see.. Assuming the tires, breaks and chain are good at the start (safety first!), it could probably be done.

I would do the following to the bike at start of journey unless the guy had documentation on when they were last done (and even then....):
Clean all electrical connections
Gap and set timing on points
Adjust valves
Check tire pressure
easure charging voltage

I'd bring:
Tools:
etric socket set
Philips and straight screwdrivers - various
Channel locks
Needle nose pliers
feeler guages
Jumper cables
ultimeter
Portable soldering iron (12V or butane)

Parts:
A set of points
2 manual petcocks (in case of leaking vacuum)
1 Can of carb cleaner
Spare battery (fully charged)
Spare fuses
Electrical tape
Cell phone
AAA membership or other towing service

Anything that the parts and tools can't fix, I'll probably be wanting to be towed anyway.

'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: August 18, 2009, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

The 75 had manual petcocks no vacuum.
Change the oil and clean the filters. Adjust cam chain, before the points timing. Lube the clutch and throttle cables. I would bleed the front brake until I got fresh fluid at the bleeder.
Tools - A set of metric end wrenches.
Parts - Spare set of brushes. Chain lube. Spare clutch cable.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: August 18, 2009, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

Get yerself a sidecar to put all the stuff in.
bryant

PostPosted: August 18, 2009, 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

Good advice so far..
I'd give all the nuts/bolts a once over, adjust the handlebars to wherever is most comfortable. Maybe take some red locktite with you too.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 18, 2009, 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

You wont need anymore nads, you've already got plenty of them! Wink

Surely with your mates, you could get a Uhaul or such if you need it?
Even drop it at a freight yard if the worst came to the worse!

It's a long ride for a old bike....no problem if your on to it, but a slightly worn tyre, chain, sprocket will be totaly shagged before you get home! Well at least if you don't spend some time preping it before you leave!

Those sort of miles are hard on a well preped bike, I probably wouldn't do it unless I had to!

I've done a few coast to coast trips in Aus (on late model sportsbikes), similar distance......It's a long way!

It would be an awesome trip to make though, so if you do, rock on!

I'll certainly have a drink in your general direction, so keep us posted, cheers.

blue900

PostPosted: August 18, 2009, 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

I second the Chain Lube for sure- My O-ring chain instructions say lube every 300 miles. Which I have done and it is holding up well.

That will be an adventure for sure.
But I vote for the trailer. till you've gone though it and put on some close to home mileage.

I wish you well.
Photo Gallery
RainLand
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

Excellent suggestions - thanks. I hadn't thought of bringing a butane soldering gun. I've already got someone in mind to borrow from. The
red locktite is an excellent idea, as well.

I absolutely could hire a company to move it, but... well. It just isnt the same. On my R1 or BMW, I'd just end up droning down I-80 until I was sick
of it. On this girl, it will have to be two-lane blacktop with occasional wrench stops.
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

Cool, sounds like your gunna do it!

I mentioned freighting it if something went wrong along the way, always a way out somehow! Have an awesome trip!

bryant

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

I read an article in the horse mag and some guy was saying whenever he wanted to meet a new chick he rode his motorcycle to a town he hadn't been to and started pushing it...maybe this could happen to you? haha
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

You could go to that town and rent a small UHaul or Ryder truck to bring it home.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
RainLand
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

Well, I've got time, so the U-Haul option can be pulled out at any time, I suppose. I'll have a day or two to just mess with it, as well. I'm trying to
make sure I've got the most likely parts available - I can get things like chains pretty much anywhere.
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

RainLand,

Well, I think that you should only be prepared for the killers. Points, charging system and carbs. There are too many other things that could go wrong and it's not practical to be prepared for all of them.

1. 2 new sets of points.
2. New brushes.
3. Install a fuel filter..
4. Bring a can of carb cleaner.
5. Drain the carb bowls.
6. New spark plugs.
7. Fill the battery cells with distilled water.

Generally, if the carbs are gumed up, it will affect the low end more so than the high end, so get er going and keep er going. Shift high. With the fuel filter in place, it won't get any worse, and might actually get better.

Tools:

1. Screwdriver for the points and brushes.
2. 10 mm box open end.
3. Spark plug wrench.
4. Credit card.
5. Cell phone.

PS: Do not ride at night..... Shocked

Last edited by pamcopete on August 21, 2009, 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
RainLand
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

Good suggestions. What's the smallest practical wrench I can carry to turn the motor with for cam chain tension and electrical timing, do you think?
Photo Gallery
MountainCop

PostPosted: August 20, 2009, 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

Might not be a bad idea to pre-rig a on/off switch for the headlights that you can easily splice inline. Take some weight off the already-sketchy charging system and perhaps get you just that much further down the road in a pinch.

Just my $.02. With the economy what it is, that might not even be much.
oldbikenut

PostPosted: August 20, 2009, 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

Okay you have to read this story. This guy went 3,600 on a 71 Yamaha RT1 360. I actually have that same bike and I can't imagine doing a trip like that, truley an adventure!
www.motorcyclistonline...index.html

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

A couple of spins around the block (if it will start!) will tell you whether or not it might be -possible-. Then if it seems possible, then you can do it if you're both a good mechanic and lucky. If you're no mechanic or unlucky, then it just remains possible at that point, not a sure thing Smile

When I got mine, I wouldn't have wanted to ride it fast until I tightened up the steering bearings and replaced the swing arm bushings and bolt. One mechanic in town mentioned that every bolt he'd seen was cracked near the threads. Mine wasn't but...

A possible show stopper would have been when a wire at a connection in the igntion switch corroded through, shutting off everything. It was a quick diagosis and fix, but I was at home with all my tools and a good schematic.

I like Pete's list. It hits show stoppers that are easy to head off. Tires, keep the chain oiled, about all I can think of at the moment.
Photo Gallery
RainLand
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

That's a great story, OldBikeNut. I guess we all forget the old days of sitting by the side of the road wondering how the #@! we're going to fix it this time.
Photo Gallery
oldbikenut

PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

RainLand wrote:
That's a great story, OldBikeNut. I guess we all forget the old days of sitting by the side of the road wondering how the #@! we're going to fix it this time.

I found this story not long after I got my RT1, I could'nt believe someone would do a ride like that on a bike like that.

I think you should take good notes and pictures on your trip and write us up a little story, I'm sure it would be very interesting and may make some of us(myself included)wish we had the courage to do something like that on a vintage ride!

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 24, 2009, 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

If it doesn't become too embarassing, I'll give you a full report. Right now I'm researching all the possible parts stops along the way. I'm going to generally paralell I-80 on two lane roads, otherwise it gets really sparse out in Wyoming. I have friends and family in Colorado, so I have an emergency halfway mark.
gggGary

PostPosted: August 24, 2009, 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

Duct tape, needlenose Vice grips and about 10 feet of #12 copper wire. Back in the day I rode a 71 XS650 to Florida about a week after I bought it, well used. Most everything that was going to fall off fell off by southern Illinois and and the rest of the trip was a breeze. Sounds like fun to me, You meet the nicest people while fixing your Yamaha.
RainLand
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 24, 2009, 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What could possibly go wrong?

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot my bit of safety wire. Thanks.

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2