650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Best and cheapest way to paint???

Best and cheapest way to paint???
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
XsRich

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 1:10 pm    Post subject: Best and cheapest way to paint???

Just wondering what would be the best way to go about painting the bike (frame, tank & fender) without taking out a loan? Anyone?
TeeCat

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Best and cheapest way to paint???

I would think that a spray can with a durable paint would be sufficient for the frame, since there are no flat expanses and errors are not glaring.

Larger, flatter surfaces can also be done that way, but have to be rubbed out a bit and clearcoated for best results. Others who know more will chime in, I'm sure, but options are more plentiful with a bike than a car or truck.

TC
Photo Gallery
IAmGrowler

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Best and cheapest way to paint???

XsRich wrote:
Just wondering what would be the best way to go about painting the bike (frame, tank & fender) without taking out a loan? Anyone?

A clean dust free environment is always helpful.

I used a large tent with a portable A-Frame assembled inside the last time I painted a frame.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Best and cheapest way to paint???

Cans, quite a few of them but piss easy & a good finish (dont try metallic) if you spend time with the 1400 grit wet n dry & T-Cut rubbing compound . Wink
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
twinsarehot

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Best and cheapest way to paint???

rustoleum appliance epoxy:

nice finish.
gordonscott

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Best and cheapest way to paint???

Twinsarehot, that came out nice! looks like powder Wink
twinsarehot

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Best and cheapest way to paint???

Yeah, I'm really happy with how the epoxy spray worked out for the frame and small parts, honestly tough as nails. It really does look good, even up close. The key is to apply very thin layers, waiting 5 minutes between layers. From start to finish, you only get about 45 minutes to work with, because once the first layer dries any other layer will crinkle or sag.

here it is up close, there are fingerprint smudges all over it. The silver, is the texture of the silver epoxy, there is also truck bedding paint in the picture (black textured paint).
jimxsrider

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Best and cheapest way to paint???

Any basic two part paint would be the best. THat is if you have an air compressor and a paint gun. Harbor freight has some really cheap paint guns that actually work great. And as far as a two part paint, i think you can get black rustoleum from walmart in a can and they might even sell a hardener to mix with it. Other wise go to sherwin williams or napa, or random paint store and tell them you want the cheapest 2 part enamel you can get. And most 2 part enamels can be wetsanded and buffed just like a clear coat finish.

jim
Gymi

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Best and cheapest way to paint???

I buy all my paint from www.tcpglobal.com/Default.aspx if i'm not using rattle cans. They are the cheapest place I have found to buy paint. if I am using rattle cans I use Krylon Tough Coat, the stuff looks great for a rattle can paint. It almost looks like I shot it through my Sata gun.
bbjsw10

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Best and cheapest way to paint???

twinsarehot wrote:
rustoleum appliance epoxy:

nice finish.

I use that all the time, good paint and pretty tough too.
XsRich

PostPosted: August 20, 2009, 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Best and cheapest way to paint???

Thanks everybody, these are all great ideas, can't wait to try it out....

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1