650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Carb holders

Carb holders
    Forum Index -> Fuel
Stonecold2491

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 9:11 pm    Post subject: Carb holders

I was just on Mikes XS and looking for carb holders for a 1972 XS2 with stock carbs and air filters. I see the ones listed for later models with vacuum outlets for vacuum petcocks but not for my bike in particular. Are the holders for any of these later model carbs interchangeable and if so which ones. Wish I could be more specific which ones my bike has but all I am sure of is there original equipment. Also is there a paper gasket between the holder and the engine?
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb holders

Stoned, look up the part number's for the part's in the vault, then see if they are the same for the '78 650. The barb's are also for balancing the carb's, & just blocking them off is a fine solution, not Mickey Mouse.
Stonecold2491

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb holders

Thanks Gordo , kind of clued me in and now I at least know what carbs I have and barbs or not Mike's has some that fit. Still learning all this motorcycle stuff . I am more at home in the engine bay of a car. I assume your talking about using a vacuum gauge to sync the carbs?
bigfozz

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Carb holders

Be weary buying carbholders from mikes xs.
They stopped stocking manifolds for the earlier models ages ago.
The earlier models had smaller inlets.. about 43 mm i think.. and the later model manifolds are about 46mm..
plus the earlier model manifolds were completely straight. that is if you sat one flat on a table the top of it would be completely horizontal as well. the newer manifolds are angled a little.
so depending on how you engine is mounted it may shoot your carbs out at the wrong angle and they may not meet your air boxes properly.
that was my problem anyway.

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1