650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > loss of power, gas leaking from carb somewhere

loss of power, gas leaking from carb somewhere
    Forum Index -> Fuel
yamaho

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 8:17 pm    Post subject: loss of power, gas leaking from carb somewhere

I have an 80' and I just cleaned the carbs. Started her up fine, road for about 6 miles and she started bogging down like the jets were clogged again. Gas is leaking out near or at the air filter. Could it be that the jets are clogged again? I used Seafoam in a tank of gas and it has been running not so good since.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: loss of power, gas leaking from carb somewhere

your floats/needle valve is stuck open or the float has a hole and sunk overflowing the carb
yamaho

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: loss of power, gas leaking from carb somewhere

Thank you! The float has a hole in it I can't even see. I am going to order one of the plastic replacements for the 80 special.
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: loss of power, gas leaking from carb somewhere

Yamaho, you da ho. No, just kiddin'. If you have the brass float's, they can be soldered, and to find the hole, clean the float up 'til it's shiny, then look to see where to fuel that's in it is coming out. Sometime's a little heat work's faster. Just warm it, though. I use my hand's to warm it, that way the feul doesn't all evaporate before I find the leak.Once the leak is found, mark it with a Sharpee, then warm it up more(could use a toaster oven) to evap. the rest of the fuel in it.
yamaho

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: loss of power, gas leaking from carb somewhere

great I will do that. I found the hole and marked it. I was wondering if having one plastic and one brass would be a problem. Or if adding the weight of the solder would create a problem.
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: loss of power, gas leaking from carb somewhere

I dont think two different float's would matter. But I do think they are set at different level's. The brass float's have there own setting, and the rest are set with less height. No, the weight of the solder should be no problem, as long as you are not putting 5 lbs' of the stuff on. Just enough to stop the leak. It should be tiny, because brass doesn't rust, the hole is likely from a piece of iron from the gas pump. After sitting, humidity get's in the bowl's and the rust from the iron ate the brass.Oh, you definately want to put on a filter in the line between the tank & carb's, if you haven't done so already.
mgreaves

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: loss of power, gas leaking from carb somewhere

FYI - Both carbs on my 77D had leaking floats. I really really really wish I had checked them before I started trying to set the pilot and main jets!

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1