650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Leak from cam shaft ends

Leak from cam shaft ends
    Forum Index -> Engine
Snake

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 2:03 am    Post subject: Leak from cam shaft ends

All of a sudden I have oil dripping from both ends of the cam shaft..dripping out of the ATU and from the contact points...anyone suffered this type of leak? why would it happen so suddenly and why both ends!!??
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Leak from cam shaft ends

Could put new seals in there..........I did a couple of times till I used a stronger spring from some old fork seals and cut them and opened the ends to fit together......25k ago....leak gone.....and a one way valve can reduce the positive crank case pressure to a bit of negative which can help that too.........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Snake

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Leak from cam shaft ends

thanks john, the seals are fairly new, can i get them out and then try and seal them back in properly?..also, i was thinking of adding a second head gasket to lower the compression and make use of my worn cam chain...is that all there is to it??
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Leak from cam shaft ends

Don't have to get them out....just find a seal that has a larger spring and cut it open the ends to hook together...put the connected end on top....bit more pressure on the seal to stop the leak.......supprised myself on that one.........

Can't use 2 gaskets to lower the compression without moving the cam 2 or so degrees to the retard.....for double sure on that one....these are already advanced to the wall and it causes artifical leaness which you can't tune out without moving the cam ...if you don't the intake valves will close a bit too soon and the cylinder won't fill completely like it should ........cam needs to be in the stock position........not hard but has to be done.....for sure....I found that one out the hard way......better have a good magnifying glass to see the move.......just .020 -.025 thou on the boss......been through that last year and am happy now as happy as a bug in a rug since I figured that............running mine all over the fricken place at 90 degree plus weather without all the old heat problems.............cylinder temps below 250 even on the express with the carbs set right...........air cooled engines suck without a good hand on them.......wish that wasn't true myself.......

xsjohn

Last edited by xsjohn on August 9, 2009, 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
Snake

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Leak from cam shaft ends

so, add extra gasket, and then move cam timing position 2 deg to the retard...that is all i need to do?...im having issues of timing and found the cam chain is stretched...if this fix is easy enough then i should kill two birds with one stone?
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Leak from cam shaft ends

Maybe ..........maybe not........... no easy way out for these things.........didn't have that same attitude asy you do when I did mine............just wanted to get rid of some crankiness and let it soooth out.............gave up a couple of HP and got it to please me.........and get rid of some more heat....your reason seems a bit different than mine.............
Photo Gallery
wally

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Leak from cam shaft ends

My cam seals on my special still leak even after twice replacing with all Yammy seals & gaskets
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Leak from cam shaft ends

See above.......some fashoined stiffer springs on th seal......wouldn't mention it if it didn't work on mine..............play with that idea ............
Photo Gallery
Snake

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Leak from cam shaft ends

I like XSJohns answer with the second spring to tighten the seal to the shaft....although i am still unsure why mine started leaking at both ends at the same time
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Leak from cam shaft ends

Gosh........not a second spring ......just replace the wimpy one.........sorry it's late .....I know what your are saying...so seldom anyone listens to me anyway..........
Photo Gallery
wally

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Leak from cam shaft ends

I allways Listen to my elders
Im allways playing around with this thing come home & pulled the tank of for Electrolyses cleaning & cleaning the carbs again
We have a Expatriate kiwi here in Oz in the 650 club (Rider site name XSAndy)
schtipp

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Leak from cam shaft ends

could be something plugged up the crankcase vent.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Leak from cam shaft ends

Snake;
Have you taken the rocker covers and /or the camshaft out recently?
On re-assembly its important that the double camshaft bearings be position inward as much as possible. If they are left too far to the outside, the "O-ring" will not be able to press against the casings and you get oil leaks.

I have heard of guys using a suitable round pipe to tap the bearings inward further. If you removed the seal housings you could measure to see if there is enough depth for the "O rings" to seat against the casings.

Is the oil getting past the oil seals or the "O-rings"?

Snake

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak from cam shaft ends

Thanks Guys, i haven't pulled the cam shaft or done anything to the top end...well i did replace the ATU, but it was dripping before that. I will check it out.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1