650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > soo um yea need alot of help

soo um yea need alot of help
    Forum Index -> Electrical
AlbinoAnt

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 6:21 pm    Post subject: soo um yea need alot of help

alright so i was messin with the bike today because i let it sit for 2 months without starting. it was turning over fine with no spark but it was still cranking replaced ignition fuse and plugs cleared a couple corroded plugs charged the battery still cranking with no spark. tried some mor now it wont crank and no spark dead in the shed any suggestions..
you know when you move the kill switch the to run and back to off and the bike clicks it wont even do that now im confused the bike ran fine 2 mo ago any suggestions
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: soo um yea need alot of help

charge the battery
AlbinoAnt

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: soo um yea need alot of help

batteries charged still no cranking im thinking ignitor unit coil or something of that sort
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: soo um yea need alot of help

if the batteryis charged and the engine doesn't turn over it's the starter circuit
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: soo um yea need alot of help

Checked the battery connections for tightness or corrosion? Looked at the fuse(s). You don't mention the year so we really are just guessing. soo um yea need the model.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
AlbinoAnt

PostPosted: August 7, 2009, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: soo um yea need alot of help

it is a 1981 xs650 special stock wiring harness
xsleo

PostPosted: August 7, 2009, 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: soo um yea need alot of help

Maybe the kill switch? It controls the ignition and the starter. Dirty contacts inside.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
AlbinoAnt

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: soo um yea need alot of help

ill check that
AlbinoAnt

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: soo um yea need alot of help

nope not it any other suggestions
schtipp

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: soo um yea need alot of help

try pulling in the clutch, see if it cranks then. the thinking is that bike must be in neutral or have the clutch pulled in to crank. your bike may not know it's in nuetral. so if it cranks with the clutch pulled in, then must be neutral switch.

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: soo um yea need alot of help

Hopefully this is readable.. it's hard to draw a troubleshooting flowchart in text.

Start with the obvious.. and this assumes that the battery is fully charged.

Check all fuses with a multimeter.

Will it turn over with the kick start?

No?
Check to make sure it's not in gear.

Will it kick now?
No?
echanical problems.

Yes?
If it kicks over, then start with electrical.

Get a voltmeter or multimeter, put it in DC, and check battery voltage. It should be at least 12, 12.5 is better.

No?
Bad battery (since you mentioned it was charged)

Yes?
Turn the key on - does the neutral indicator light come on? Nice and bright?

Yes? Try the starter - does the bike make a click? Does the neutral light go out? If so, then you probably have a bad battery.

No?
Check the battery voltage with the key on.. Still at least 12V?

No?
Bad battery.

Yes?
Check the voltage at the starter relay. Should be >12V on one side, 0 on the other.

No? Wiring issue between relay and battery. Check battery connections and wiring.

Yes?
Short relay with screwdriver. Engine turn over?

Yes? Bad relay, or no power to relay. Ask for more help giving us the info you learned up til now.

No?
Check wiring from relay to starter, or bad starter.

This should get you started in the right direction.

'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
AlbinoAnt

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: soo um yea need alot of help

all get all this done today thanks alot guys ill keep ya posted
AlbinoAnt

PostPosted: August 20, 2009, 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: soo um yea need alot of help

12.5 battery
will turn over with kick start
12.5 with key on
dont know about nutreal light yet havent wired up the new speedo yet but i did plug in the old speedo and nutreal lights and guess what it is turning over again now. but the coil still isnt firing though now what
rhilker

PostPosted: August 20, 2009, 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: soo um yea need alot of help

Now might be a good time to invest in a Pamco Ignition and new fuse box. I'm planning on doing mine this winter and mine starts first kick and runs good. Ii could orobably run the indefinately like this given the amont of time we get to ride up here.

PostPosted: August 20, 2009, 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: soo um yea need alot of help

i got a new fuse box put it on when i got the wiring harness
Xumi

PostPosted: August 20, 2009, 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: soo um yea need alot of help

Ok, so you've made progress - that's a good thing.

Ok, now it's time to look into ignition.

What year is it? (so we know - points or TCI)

What parts of the ignition have you replaced?

'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
AlbinoAnt

PostPosted: August 20, 2009, 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: soo um yea need alot of help

1981 special tci ive replaced the coil starter solenoid
Xumi

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: soo um yea need alot of help

Ok, I'm more of a points man myself.. but I'd bet someone will come along with some good tips on the TCI system.

Are you getting NO spark or weak spark? pull a plug, and make sure it's grounded to the engine, and run the starter long enough to check for spark (if you don't ground the plug you risk the TCI box, I'm told).

If you have no spark:

In general, I'd ohm out the coils, and if they check out, check for 12V at the coil with key on. If not getting it, work backwards through the harness to figure out where I'm losing it.

If I were getting 12v at the coil, I'd be looking at the TCI box, as I've read that there is a Transister that commonly fails in there that is fairly simple to replace. But.. I'm not a TCI guy myself, so I won't pretend to be able to give you specifics here... but if you search a bit, you'll find it.

If It's weak spark:

Replace spark plugs and wires. Make sure coil is getting at least 12V. If that doesn't fix it.. look at getting a new coil.

'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: soo um yea need alot of help

While your checking voltages check the TCI box, it needs battery voltage on the red/white wire the same as the coil.
The way the wiring is done the the kill switch feeds a wire that splits to feed both the coil, TCI box and the starter circuit. The splices inside the harness can loosen up after years of vibration.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1