650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > my 79' bobber project

my 79' bobber project
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
baclay9

PostPosted: August 2, 2009, 1:53 pm    Post subject: my 79' bobber project

Just bought this thing a couple of days ago. Ripped all of the wireing out of it and cleaned it up real good at the car wash. I changed the oil and tried to start it but it wouldn,t kick over. Pulled the carbs off and they are full of dirt, cobwebs, and varnish. I am going to clean them up and give it another try. I am going to have to change the starter gear out also because it is grinding a bunch when you turn it over. I just ordered a bunch of stuff from mikes and will update this thread as I go along. I'm sure I will have lots of questions along the way. Enjoy!

By claypool782, shot with DSC-T300 at 2009-08-02

Here is a pic of how nasty the carbs are. I wonder if I should go ahead and tear the engine down?

hoagy

PostPosted: August 2, 2009, 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

good loking bike! please keep the pics coming!

hoagy
MountainCop

PostPosted: August 2, 2009, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

Clean the carbs up for sure. Change the oil. See what it tells you. Pull the plugs and inspect. You may not have to rebuild the powerplant. Take a look at "the vault" and go through all that "new bike" stuff. If the engine is turning correctly and compression feels good and so forth, there may be no need to tear it down any more than it is now. You will get more answers from those who know more than I. Keep taking the pics and posting 'em. You have any specific plans for the bike yet?
baclay9

PostPosted: August 2, 2009, 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

My plans are to hard tail it and just have a stripped down bobber. As of now I plan to do it in satin black and satin silver. I don't know if I will like the colors yet or not. I have seen it on the Excile bikes and like it on thiers.
FuriousD

PostPosted: August 3, 2009, 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

Did mine up in black and silver yesterday. Its one of my favorite color combos on old triumphs.

Its just a rattle can job for now, I was over at the hardware store and they had a clearance table full of laquer for a buck a can.

xs silver2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.21 KB
 Viewed:  340 Time(s)

xs silver2.jpg

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: August 3, 2009, 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

baclay9- I would clean it up and get it running well for now. You can always spend money later on a rebuild. Looks good though. I'm assuming you already removed the front brake? Shocked

FuriousD I think your silver looks great and the price is definitely in my range!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
baclay9

PostPosted: August 4, 2009, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

pumps wrote:
baclay9- I would clean it up and get it running well for now. You can always spend money later on a rebuild. Looks good though. I'm assuming you already removed the front brake? Shocked

FuriousD I think your silver looks great and the price is definitely in my range!

The front brake was gone when I bought the bike. I found a rotor today and will find a caliper soon.

I got the carbs all cleaned today and they didn't leak. That made me happy. Very Happy I drained the float bowls and they were both holding exactly 1 oz which I am told is perfect.

I found this tank today also. It is a stock tank and is in perfect shape. Perfect as in no dents and only minor surface rust. I don't know how a stock tank will look with the hardtail but got the tank for free so I figure if I don't like it, no big deal. Anyone have a stock tank on thier hard tail bobber?

By claypool782, shot with DSC-T300 at 2009-08-04

By claypool782, shot with DSC-T300 at 2009-08-04
Teebs

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

baclay,
The tank will end up being too long once you hardtail it. It extends onto the seat rails and once you cut those off it's going to stick way out there. You'll find that the shape of the tank doesn't really flow with the lines of the hardtail either. Looking forward to seeing the build as it progresses.
mmasac

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

yes, also tuned in to watch your build. I'm getting ready to purchase a xs650, and will be doing the same thing this winter. the good news is, my wife is a photograhper, so im sure we can really document the whole thing.

Black paint, DOESN'T make it BAD ASS!!!

It is NOT a Chopper, Unless you CUT something!!!
baclay9

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

Ok boys, got it started today thanks to some help from some forum members. I am going to go let them know on that thread here in a minute that it is up and running. I was videoing when it kicked over for the first time so I thought I would share that. Here is a link I don't know how to embed on this forum I guess.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDG7UWv7u2E

I also got a goodie box from Mikesxs today. Nothing I am ready for yet but will need it eventually.

By claypool782, shot with DSC-T300 at 2009-08-06

Next major thing will be the hardtail. I ordered it from G & L day before yesterday and iit should be here in 4-6 weeks. I will be doing small projects in the meantime though. Thanks for looking.

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

Well I have made a little more progress. Stripped the bike the rest of the way down and pulled the motor. Built a motor stand which was actually my first time welding. I was pretty proud of myself that it didn't fall apert when I set the engine on it. LOL

I borrowed an empty case to set in the frame as a jig for when we get the hardtail.

I have been painting on the engine but am not quite finished with it yet so no pics yet.

I just scored a sportster tank off Ebay tonite so I am pretty pumped about that. Here are a few updated pics.

By claypool782, shot with DSC-T300 at 2009-08-12

By claypool782, shot with DSC-T300 at 2009-08-12

I hope to have the motor paint finished by this weekend and will post up some pics then.

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

You really tore that bike down way to dive in head first it's looking good already

PostPosted: August 20, 2009, 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

clay, looking good on the progress. keep it up. are you planning on welding that hardtail on yourself?
baclay9

PostPosted: August 20, 2009, 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

Teebs wrote:
clay, looking good on the progress. keep it up. are you planning on welding that hardtail on yourself?

No way man, as much as I would like to I definately know my limitations. My dad has a friend who owns a welding shop and has been doing it for 25 years or so. He is real into bobbing out 750 Hondas and has hardtailed several of them. He will be welding her up for me.

The thing I am the most nervous about is the electrical. There wasn't much there when I purchased the bike and I don't raelly know it well enough to know what is missing. I guess I will burn that bridge when I get there. LOL

PostPosted: August 20, 2009, 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

Glad to hear you are letting a pro tackle that particular job. plenty of other stuff for you to get your hands into welding without doing that.

As far as the electrical, it really depends on what you're going to be running, there are some really great wiring diagrams in the forums under Vault/Wiring diagrams from very simple to a full-on harness.

We're in the same boat there. Mine is a '79 also. Here is the link to a very simple chopper wiring diagram that still includes all of the essentials: 79 Points Schematic

The regulator/rectifier is a major part of the electrical and an expensive bit. pamcopete has put together an alternative using a car regulator and radio shack rectifiers on the cheap. Cost for the parts is about 1/4 the cost of a new aftermarket one, and the assembly is fairly simple.

Since I won't be finishing my bike in time for riding this year, I'm going to install a pamco ignition this winter, as well as some other improvements.

I'm sure you'll have no problem with the wiring and there are always plenty of people here ready to help if and when you need it.
baclay9

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

Hey thnks for the diagram man. That is pretty close to what I will be needing.

I actually bought a wireing harness from Mikexs when I first bought the bike but am starting to think I may have wasted my money. I mean I am going to have alot of the same things as a stock XS but it will all be in different places. I might try to strip the cover off the stock harness I bought and see if I can just re direct the wires where I need them.

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

I think you might be better off starting with fresh wire and making your own, You're going to end up with a lot of unnecessary crap on that harness.

You're welcome, although I just provided a link. I've had that diagram for a long time as it will be the one I'm working from. Not sure who made it, but he has my thanks!
baclay9

PostPosted: August 22, 2009, 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

Got my engine painted. Only thing left is to have the side covers powdercoated. Do you guys thing I should do the carbs silver or black. I can't descide.

By claypool782, shot with DSC-T300 at 2009-08-22

By claypool782, shot with DSC-T300 at 2009-08-22

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

Well, haven't got a lot done but got a few more pieces. I am kindof at a standstill until I get the hardtail.

Got the carbs painted up.

By claypool782, shot with DSC-T300 at 2009-08-31

y fender and tank showed up also. I have them just shot with a thin coat of primer till I get ready to paint.

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

if you want to get rid of that stock tank, I am interested!!!
chromeyblue

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

Hey baclan9!!!
Keep it going man looks really good Very Happy
chromeyblue

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

Hey baclay 9!!!!
I just got a 79 650 special II a week ago.
I'm new in the forum these is my second post and I really need help can you or some one in the forum please tell me where can I get a manual because the bike was running when I got it but now is not is leaking oil and gas so I would like to start working on the girl and I would like to make a bobber of but I need to fix it or see what I can do because I really love how these bikes look sorry about my english and thank you.
Gabe
baclay9

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

I got my manual from my local dealer. You might try Ebay as well

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: my 79' bobber project

bikerbandit .com has one you can download.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2