650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > Scored some sweet mufflers on Craigslist

Scored some sweet mufflers on Craigslist
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
ayrhen

PostPosted: July 31, 2009, 8:47 am    Post subject: Scored some sweet mufflers on Craigslist

I'm not typically the kind of person who brags much.... but I've got to show these off to someone, and I figured the original equipment restoration crowd would appreciate it. I found these mufflers on Craigslist. The seller bought a TX650 new in 1973. After returning to the dealer from his test ride, he bought the bike and asked the dealer to put on a set of shorties. He then took the original mufflers home and put them in his attic. 36 years and $30 later and they are now mine. I plan to put these on my '72.
Joseph

PostPosted: July 31, 2009, 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Scored some sweet mufflers on Craigslist

Ya awsome score, good for you.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: July 31, 2009, 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Scored some sweet mufflers on Craigslist

Ok I'm jealous! Helluva deal! Reinforces my faith in CL.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: July 31, 2009, 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored some sweet mufflers on Craigslist

Wanna double your money? Wink

What wason your '73? Are they in good shape?
Photo Gallery
ayrhen

PostPosted: July 31, 2009, 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored some sweet mufflers on Craigslist

The mufflers on my '72 at this moment are some fugly aftermarket megaphone with a bit of cancer on the backsides. Those may be going over to my '71 (which has NO mufflers).
tacoswild

PostPosted: July 31, 2009, 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored some sweet mufflers on Craigslist

$30? oh man. I looked for a couple years for originals without even a whiff before finally giving up and buying mike's.
ayrhen

PostPosted: July 31, 2009, 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored some sweet mufflers on Craigslist

I realize this may make me a hated man.....but I wasn't even looking for them. Sure I NEED them....but it just wasn't a part I've been actively seeking. They just kind of fell in my lap. When I saw them on Craigslist I knew I needed to act IMMEDIATELY. The two hours I had to wait between contacting the seller and getting off work was the longest two hours of my life. If I put these on my bike right now they would be far nicer than the bike itself. Part of me doesn't want to put them on my bike at all....maybe just prop them up on my end tables like sculpture in the living room and enjoy them.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: July 31, 2009, 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored some sweet mufflers on Craigslist

Not hated..more fun to tease you! Wink But if you feel guilty about putting them on, let me take them off your hands so you won't feel bad. They'll go to a good home.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
nudude53

PostPosted: August 3, 2009, 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored some sweet mufflers on Craigslist

You are not permitted to use them on a '72. I need them for my '73.
oldbikenut

PostPosted: August 3, 2009, 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored some sweet mufflers on Craigslist

ayrhen wrote:
I realize this may make me a hated man.....but I wasn't even looking for them. Sure I NEED them....but it just wasn't a part I've been actively seeking. They just kind of fell in my lap. When I saw them on Craigslist I knew I needed to act IMMEDIATELY. The two hours I had to wait between contacting the seller and getting off work was the longest two hours of my life. If I put these on my bike right now they would be far nicer than the bike itself. Part of me doesn't want to put them on my bike at all....maybe just prop them up on my end tables like sculpture in the living room and enjoy them.

The best deals I've ever run into seem to be usually when I'm not looking. You defiantely got a great deal! It's good they went into the hands of someone that's is actually going to use them and not someone who is just going to resell for a profit!

Congradulations on the terrific find!

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored some sweet mufflers on Craigslist

Very sweet, and they're going to the right place, instead of some hash-up of a bike. Now you've got to bring the rest of it along.

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1