650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > I need help

I need help
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Electrical
Joseph

PostPosted: July 28, 2009, 9:08 am    Post subject: I need help

The watter pump in my car is shot and I just went to start the bike, got a click the fuses ringout, the battery is over 12v and when I have the key and kill switch on the neut light goes from dimm to out in seconds with no elect I'll check it more later I'm runninfg late now I am borrowing a car which I hate doing with no ac and I'm coverd in sweat already Any thing jump out at anyone on what to chek 1st.
Photo Gallery
schtipp

PostPosted: July 28, 2009, 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: I need help

charge the battery and clean the terminals. volts can be cool even when you have not enough amps. my jeep did this to me. it wasn't till after i took off the starter and had it tested that i figured out it was the terminals (they didn't even look dirty). cleaned them and it started right up. i was so PO ed at myself for not doing the easyest thing first.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 28, 2009, 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: I need help

Check your fuses/fuse panel for corrosion which will cause voltage drops. Old original fuse panels should be tossed out because they are worn out.
Joseph

PostPosted: July 28, 2009, 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help

Forgot to mention It wont even kick start, when I try I smell gas so I think the power is dying shortly after the battery its like no spark, it isnt even trying to start. The lights do come on for a few seconds tail and brake not blinkers. It is so hot out right now but as I get into it and troubleshoot I'll update the post. I need the bike, I am unemployed and wont be able to fixd my car for a while uenless one of the 20+ resumes I sent out hits. Thanks for you help if anything jums out to someone as to what it might be , let me know. I know I need more information but as stated the fuses are good.
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: I need help

Should the solenoid have continuity between the 2 large terminals? Mine does.
Photo Gallery
Yamahopper

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: I need help

www.mapservices.org/my...RiderForum

Where'bouts are ya?

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: I need help

Long island Nassau. Looks like your near Albany. My brother is flying into Albany from Texas next month, my grandfather lives in the country about an 1 1/12 or so from Albany. I'm far from there now though. Thanks for asking.
Photo Gallery
Yamahopper

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: I need help

Yeah, sorry.

The starter solenoid is part of an automobile starting system. Also called a starter relay, the starter solenoid receives a large electric current from the car battery and a small electric current from the ignition switch. When the ignition switch is turned on (when the key is turned to start the bike), the small electric current forces the starter solenoid to close a pair of heavy contacts, thus relaying the large electric current to the starter motor.

If a starter solenoid receives insufficient power from the battery, it will fail to start the motor, and may produce a rapid 'clicking' or 'clacking' sound. This can be caused by a low or dead battery, by corroded or loose connections in the cable, or by a broken or damaged positive (red) cable from the battery. Any of these will result in some power to the solenoid, but not enough to hold the heavy contacts closed, so the starter motor itself never spins, and the engine is not rotated (does not start).

Last edited by Yamahopper on July 29, 2009, 7:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Photo Gallery
Yamahopper

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: I need help

So as schtipp stated:

charge the battery and clean the terminals. volts can be cool even when you have not enough amps.

So that would at the starter, battery, solenoid, key, and "Run/Off" switch on bars.

CLEAN! CLEAN! CLEAN!

Good luck with the bike and the job search!

Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help

I did do the trminal conection clean recently.
With key off I have 12+ v at main fuse. With key on I have .2-.3 v at main and others. Nothing comes on no lights no pilot box nothing. Any suguestions. Is there a recomended way to get to the inition switch? Cant get to it from the top hu?

Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help

take the battery to a shop, and have it load tested, a battery can show good voltage and not be able to supply current (amps) a simple test would be to connect a headlight sealed beam to it, if it dims quickly the battery is bad
Joseph

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help

I believe you nailed it. I cant get the battery to even light the head light. I hook the headlight with a couple wires with clips on em to the charger- lights right up, cant get anything from the battery. I have less than 200 Miles on that battery its a couple mos old, lets see about an exchange I'll keep y'all posted.
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: July 30, 2009, 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: I need help

Has anyone had a problem with agm batteries. I swapped this new battery for my old took a few rides about 150 miles total and the battery wont even light a bulb now.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: July 30, 2009, 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: I need help

I have an AGM battery, bought from mikes. Works fine.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Yamahopper

PostPosted: July 30, 2009, 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: I need help

I also have an AGM battery, bought from mikes. Works fine.

Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 30, 2009, 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: I need help

a AGM battery has to be charged properly (low and slow) there have been issues with agm's, not just mikes, whether it just new tech and people aren't accustomed to how they need to be charged of whether it's a problem with the batteries themselves, in the end they are a better battery
Xumi

PostPosted: July 30, 2009, 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help

Smells like a charging issue. If you have a new agm battery go bad in 200 miles, and then swap for new and the new battery was working, then 150 miles later isn't... sound like charging issue or you got very very unlucky.

Charge one of your batteries with a trickle charger, then check your voltage accross the battery @ 2500 RPM. Anything less than 13.5 = no charge.

'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: July 30, 2009, 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help

Xumi wrote:
Smells like a charging issue. If you have a new agm battery go bad in 200 miles, and then swap for new and the new battery was working, then 150 miles later isn't... sound like charging issue or you got very very unlucky.

Charge one of your batteries with a trickle charger, then check your voltage accross the battery @ 2500 RPM. Anything less than 13.5 = no charge

Sure does smell like a charging issue.
How's the rotor on that thing?
This is where a mounted voltmeter is invaluable.

Joseph

PostPosted: July 30, 2009, 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help

I cant even get it to charge with my charger. I am getting a replacement. Unless my battery charger went at the same time as my bike charging system I think it is the battery. I haven't had any charging issues with the bike and it was so sudden just stooped working. Went from cranking excellent one day to nothing the next time I took it from the shed. I'll update as soon as I get the new battery, it has a 1yr warranty, so it was no problem to get an exchange.
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: August 4, 2009, 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help

YA BABY AS SOON AS i GOOT THE NEW BATERY i PUT IT ON MY TESTER IT WAS FINE. The old (new) batery wouldn't draw any amps when I put it on the charger. The new one on bike at idol is over 12 and at 2500-3000rpm upwards of 14.5v. Sound good? I will get exact readings later I didn't write down what rpm exactly brought it to 14.+v
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 4, 2009, 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help

Joseph,

Now that you've got it going, look for an overcharge condition that may have fried the other battery. Not more than 14.8 volts at 2500 to 3000 RPM. Wait for the battery to recover from the start.

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: I need help

The AGM battery in my Harley just quit. Started fine one day, hardly click the starter relay the next. It would start right up jumping it of the truck. Quit as soon as you unhook the jumper cables. Wouldn't charge up with the battery charger. It was about 5 1/2 years old, replaced it everything was fine.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: I need help

I'll give it a full check up today. The highest it went yesterday was 14.8 if thats good I think I'm fine. It hits 14+ at about 2500+ and stays there.
My battery was allot newer but that is what happened to mine just stoped working with no sign of discharge 1st. It read 12+ volts on my meeter but wouldn't draw any amps from the charger or light a little bulb.

Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: I need help

joseph,

That sounds fine. Must have just been a bad battery.

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2