650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Thanks for having me

Thanks for having me
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
Hobbes

PostPosted: July 26, 2009, 9:43 pm    Post subject: Thanks for having me

Just wanted to introduce myself and ask a few nagging questions about my bike.

This past spring, I suddenly had the urge to get a rigid-framed motorcycle. Not that I'm the chopper type (I have never owned a Harley, nor do I wish to), but I thought it would be fun. My first choice would've been an original British rigid, but after a while I had to admit to myself that I was never going to find that "reasonably priced" '49 Speed Twin or '52 Thunderbird, and the '71 Bonneville that I have is too nice to bobberize.

So I started gathering stuff up to put together a hardtailed xs650. The Yamaha has really grown on me. It seems like a great bike by the work I've done so far. And whenever I would look for info on the net, this site kept popping up. So I have a few things I hope you all can help me with.

Firstly, has anyone here used ex500 carbs on their xs650? I've heard a few places that carbs off a Kawasaki twin will fit right on to an xs and really perk up throttle response, but I think these people may be referring to the older gpz500/gpz550 carbs which I haven't been able to find. Ebay is rich, however, with 87-07 Ninja carbs, which appear to be a sort of CV flatslide (?).

Secondly, what type of power brake check valves were you guys originally using on your breathers? The big reed valve from Mike's looks to be a bit of a hassle to fit. The Dorman Motormite #80190 Brake Booster is used on a lot of Brit bikes, and I believe I recall it being suggested on this forum?

Last thing - this is for xsjohn and anyone else who has done the 8-1 compression mod - is there any reason that I couldn't do this to the motor in my rigid? If all goes well, I'd like to put some highway miles on the bike, and I have no need for high rev power and a loud exhaust that'll scare the neighbors. So the decompressed motor sounds like the ticket, as opposed to a pricey 750 kit and rocketship cam, etc. John, are you still selling the cams that have been pulled and corrected for the raised head?

Thanks in advance for any advice, everyone!
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 26, 2009, 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for having me

Hobbes wrote:
This past spring, I suddenly had the urge to get a rigid-framed motorcycle. Not that I'm the chopper type (I have never owned a Harley, nor do I wish to),
Hate to tell you but a rigid framed 650 Yamaha is by definition a chopper, whether it's a Harley or not has nothing to do with it, chopper type guy Laughing welcome to the group

MountainCop

PostPosted: July 27, 2009, 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for having me

Welcome from the guy who was the newest one here before you got here!

I also have a rigid XS650, and oddly enough it is in a Triumph frame. What Triumph frame I don't know, and whatever it was has been chopped and raked a bit. It is what is commonly known as a chopper. I'm not into the "chopper" thing either. I do like hardtails and sprung seats, and springer front ends have their place as well. I guess I just don't "get" the long, raked out front end and tank that is set up too high to really be effective. To each his own.

Anyhow, welcome!
Teebs

PostPosted: July 27, 2009, 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for having me

lol@ Jayel. Hobbes, prepare to be roasted for wanting a rigid. This site is high on the knowledge scale, but a lot of these guys hate seeing a good xs turned bad.

Jayel is right though. You may like the bobber "look", but if the frame is cut and modified (rather than just trimmed) it's a chopper.

ountainCop... if you like hard tails, sprung seats and springer front ends... you like CHOPPERS in a bobber STYLE. lol

A true bobber only has things removed that add weight. A chopper is modified mainly for appearance' sake.

Removing a perfectly good rear suspension to weld on a rigid definitely falls into the "chopper" category. Adding a springer front end would also be considered chopping.

Having a "bobbed chop" is not the same as having a bobber. This distinction is getting more and more hazy as more and more people build "bobbers" (Better designated as a bobber-style chop.)

With all that said, I like choppers in the bobber style and old school '60s and '70s style chops. You can keep that new OCC smell... ugh.
gordonscott

PostPosted: July 27, 2009, 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for having me

[quote="Teebs"]" lol@ Jayel. Hobbes, prepare to be roasted for wanting a rigid. This site is high on the knowledge scale, but a lot of these guys hate seeing a good xs turned bad" And now for my next trick Laughing ...

111.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.47 KB
 Viewed:  189 Time(s)

111.jpg

000_0659.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  79.35 KB
 Viewed:  189 Time(s)

000_0659.jpg

Teebs

PostPosted: July 28, 2009, 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for having me

Scott... no "TA DA!!!"?
gordonscott

PostPosted: July 28, 2009, 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for having me

Teebs wrote:
Scott... no "TA DA!!!"?
just kidding Teebs, I would never Wink I like to chop bikes that have no hope of a future other wise Very Happy p.s. this is a "one owner" bike, title says it was sold new in 1980 with 0 miles? was told a story but who knows?

cimg0505 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  166.57 KB
 Viewed:  238 Time(s)

cimg0505 copy.jpg

1977-xs.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  223.48 KB
 Viewed:  197 Time(s)

1977-xs.jpg

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: July 28, 2009, 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for having me

hobbes-here is a post on the check valve thing you might like to read.

www.650rider.com/index...pic&t=7175

gordonscott- I hope I can get mine looking that good. Mines a work in progress I suppose. And if you get tired of that ol rack on there , just send it my way!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Teebs

PostPosted: July 28, 2009, 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for having me

lol I knew that wasn't the bike that tail was chopped from. You generally don't see posed pics like that, with the bike all clean and shiny if you're going to start cutting on it. And that is a beautiful bike.

You're like me in that respect. I have 3 xs's. All of them to be chopped, and all of them complete basket cases. Not even a gas tank, fender, side cover, gauge cluster or even a headlight among the 3. I couldn't ever chop into one like the one in your pics. It's too pretty and too functional just the way it is.

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1