650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Front / Rear Ends and Shocks > > Taller Shocks

Taller Shocks
    Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks
MN_TX650

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 9:08 am    Post subject: Taller Shocks

I am running a set of replacement Monza style shocks from Mikes on my 73 TX650, but it seems really low. Does anyone have a recommendation for a taller shock, and is it safe to run something a little taller?

jralex

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Taller Shocks

I have a longer set of Red Wings that I ran without any problems. I would sell if you have interest pm me and I can get you some pictures, eye to eye length and a price. They are chrome body and spring.

I went with a little longer Red Wing with the reservoir at the bottom. These had a bit of interference with the top of the swingarm at the pivot with the stock 17 tooth front sprocket at full extension. I have installed a 18 tooth sprocket and the interference seems to have been resolved while on the center stand. I have not ridden yet.

I'll get you a measurement on these too if interested. Long term, I am thinking of having a set of Works made. Gotta figure out a length.

Attached is a link which shows the longer Red Wing reservoir shocks I have on it now.

MN_TX650

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Taller Shocks

Shoot me a PM with measurements and price if you don't mind. The shocks I am running now are 12.75" inches eye-to-eye. I am also considering a TX750 swingarm, which would mean I would have to go with taller shocks to get my height back that I am at now. But I really want to be sitting a bit higher and may just stay with the shorter swingarm for time being. I've been watching your post as I also have a 78 standard that is up next for a makeover!!

that is a picture of it burried in the previous owners garage LOL. I picked it up this spring, and haven't touched it since the day I brought it home

Last edited by MN_TX650 on July 22, 2009, 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
dwyatt

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Taller Shocks

Taller shocks are a common way to improve the ground clearance and steering. The TX 750 swingarm is a good, easy mod and shouldn't affect your ride height much, if at all. I'm running the TX arm on my bike and moved the top shock mount forward, but mine is an extreme case.

shocks.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.08 KB
 Viewed:  443 Time(s)

shocks.jpg

Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Taller Shocks

IN the J&P catalog they have a shock for a Sporster that is 15" long

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
MN_TX650

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Taller Shocks

will a sporty shock fit a TX650? 15" seems like it would put too much of an angle on the swingarm

Last edited by MN_TX650 on July 22, 2009, 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Taller Shocks

[quote="MN_TX650" I am also considering a TX750 swingarm, which would mean I would have to go with taller chocks to get my height back that I am at now. But I really want to be sitting a bit higher and may just stay with the shorter swingarm for time being.
[/quote]

Here is a pic of a comparison between the TX750 and the TX/XS650 and there doesn't seem to be much difference in length if any

xs 650 750 swing arm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.23 KB
 Viewed:  357 Time(s)

xs 650 750 swing arm.jpg

Photo Gallery
MN_TX650

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Taller Shocks

Definately fatter. I believe the swingarm is also 2" longer than the one on my TX. I believe they extended the XS650 swingarm in 74
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Taller Shocks

Yes it will be different to your TX650 as they did change them in 74. Thought you was on about the 78 not your TX
Photo Gallery
MN_TX650

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Taller Shocks

nope. Want to raise the rear of the TX. sorry for the confusion. Not sure what the fate of the 78 will be.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Taller Shocks

take a good look at the chain run over the swingarm before you go to crazy on longer shocks, don't want the chain constantly running on the top of the pivot section
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Taller Shocks

MN_TX650, why not just put an XS650 swing arm on it. With the TX's handling the TX750 swing arm will be overkill without stiffening up the frame. Put the TX750 swing arm on the 78 and use the 78 on the TX.

Here is a pic with a bar welded on that stiffens up that frame.

frame bracemmm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.81 KB
 Viewed:  316 Time(s)

frame bracemmm.jpg

Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Taller Shocks

jralex wrote:
I have a longer set of Red Wings that I ran without any problems. I would sell if you have interest pm me and I can get you some pictures, eye to eye length and a price. They are chrome body and spring.

I went with a little longer Red Wing with the reservoir at the bottom. These had a bit of interference with the top of the swingarm at the pivot with the stock 17 tooth front sprocket at full extension. I have installed a 18 tooth sprocket and the interference seems to have been resolved while on the center stand. I have not ridden yet.

I'll get you a measurement on these too if interested. Long term, I am thinking of having a set of Works made. Gotta figure out a length.

Attached is a link which shows the longer Red Wing reservoir shocks I have on it now.

Do have different angle shots of your XS?
xsleo

PostPosted: July 23, 2009, 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Taller Shocks

I'm not sure the sporster shock will fit. It has an eye on both the top and bottom. It should be close.
What you might do is get a piece of 3/4" pipe and make a set of struts, not to ride with but just to check how it looks. Cut the pipe long, then you can cut it shorter untill it looks right then buy shocks that match the length of pipe.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
jralex

PostPosted: July 23, 2009, 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Taller Shocks

Jack, See my tra-fe post in the cafe or tracker section for different angle pictures.

N, I would like $60 for the shocks + whatever postage to get to you is. they are 13-3/8" long, eye to eye. For comparision the reservoir type I have on now are just shy of 14" and my stockers were 12-3/4". I'll have to get you pictures later today. Really like your cafe bike. Looks like you have another nice standard on you hands too.

JR

jralex

PostPosted: July 23, 2009, 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Taller Shocks

MN, here are a few pictures of the shocks

I believe the spring rate is 110/90.

Leaving for VMD this afternoon so I will be out of touch until Monday.

MN_TX650

PostPosted: July 23, 2009, 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Taller Shocks

Do you have any pictures of the shocks on your bike? I will think about it some this weekend and we will get back in touch monday
jralex

PostPosted: July 31, 2009, 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Taller Shocks

No pic's of them on the bike.

Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1