650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emul

stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emul
    Forum Index -> Frames
chilliwackwestie

PostPosted: July 21, 2009, 1:43 am    Post subject: stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emul

I've just done the mikes progressive springs and valve emulators on my 78 forks.
Now the forks are rock hard. I used 15w fork oil like the manual said drilled all the holes proper.
the emulator is two full turns in as per manual.
oil weight to high ? I had to compress the springs about an inch and a half to get the caps on would that be the problem ?
just an fyi I have not put the fork brace or fender on yet just the front wheel .

any ideas would be great
Cheers
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: July 21, 2009, 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emul

There are variations of fork caps through the years, I think one might be better for the aplication you speak of. The 80 I have has an adjustment for stiffness, looking at pictures, even on the lightest setting the spring will be compresseded a bit more that with other year of fork caps.
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: July 21, 2009, 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emul

Did you measure the fork oil or did you just fill the forks with oil?
chilliwackwestie

PostPosted: July 21, 2009, 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emu

Yes I mesured the oil, everything was installed the way mikes instructions said.
The fork cap might be a problem the biggest issue I have is I have run out of money n my budget. Could I just cut the adjuster pin shorter.
Atleast until I can afford to buy new caps. I don't want to cut the springs.
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: July 21, 2009, 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emul

No you don't want to cut the springs under any circumstances.

You used fork oil and NOT motor oil, right? I don't believe I'd cut the springs or the adjuster pin or do anything else not specified by Mike's instructions. Your best bet is to hang on here a day or two yet. One of the guys who knows more than I do will surely get back to you on this.

oney is my biggest issue, too. There's never enough of it.
twinsarehot

PostPosted: July 21, 2009, 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emu

I'll be doing the exact modifications to my 82 in the next couple of days. I won't be able to help until then..

Also, def wait before you do any surgery, patience is the key, I've f*cked up many things because I didn't way an extra day or two lol.
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 21, 2009, 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emul

Could try a lighter weight oil, i have 10w in mine
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: July 21, 2009, 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emul

dumb question but is your adjusters up or down? emulators right side up? Theres something you have over looked somewhere. I personally use 10 weight oil, and you will get 10 differant answers from 10 differant riders on what weight oil to use. How you will use your bike will best determin that. 2 up and hard core race happy people generally prefer it on the heavier side, (so do fatso's). lighter solo riders that just cruise like a lighter oil.etc. etc. etc. But I would pull the springs and emulators to make sure everything is right again. Also you did work the oil down into the lower legs prior to installing your springs and emulators right? I have seen oil trapped above the valves cause stiff slide action for awhile. If thats the case it will work its way down evenyually but will be stiff for a few miles. But I would dissasemble the springs and valves and make double sure they are 100% correct. I have never used mikes valves but will assume that they are fairly good quality and generally work as describbed. Have never heard any bad reports either. Ijust prefer race tech valves. anyway good luck.
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 21, 2009, 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emu

A couple of pics to help.

Last edited by 650skull on July 21, 2009, 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: July 21, 2009, 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emul

are these tubes extended? There appears to be a 2" spacer in the picture that would not be needed in stock tubes. Did you buy new tubes? if so were the old ones extended? if so get rid of the spacer and go enjoy your ride.
Joseph

PostPosted: July 21, 2009, 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emul

Ya don't cut anything I am just brainstorming. The oil not being dispersed sound like something to check.
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 21, 2009, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emul

royfisk wrote:
are these tubes extended? There appears to be a 2" spacer in the picture that would not be needed in stock tubes. Did you buy new tubes? if so were the old ones extended? if so get rid of the spacer and go enjoy your ride.

Sorry about the spacer, i forgot about that. Thanks Roy This photo is from the 650 club racer and the spacer was something they done.

Edited my post to include info about the spacer
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: July 21, 2009, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emul

650skull wrote:
royfisk wrote:

Sorry about the spacer, i forgot about that. Thanks Roy This photo is from the 650 club racer and the spacer was something they done.

Edited my post to include info about the spacer

650Skull...are you associated with Club Racer in any form?
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 21, 2009, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emu

Jack,
only as a member and giving a donation. Here is a link to the development through our web site Web Page Name They have done some work on the head but i ain't privy to that info unfortunately Sad and if i was it would have to remain a secret.
Photo Gallery
chilliwackwestie

PostPosted: July 21, 2009, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emul

No I won't do anything drastic or stupid. The first thing I'm going to try is loosing the emulatiors to the lightest setting.
Then ill try lighter weight oil if that doesn't work it must be too much preload on the spring then new caps might be the only option.
Anyone know how much preload the springs are supposed to have?
Anyway thanks so far ill get it figured out.
Cheers
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emu

650skull wrote:
Jack,
only as a member and giving a donation. Here is a link to the development through our web site Web Page Name They have done some work on the head but i ain't privy to that info unfortunately Sad and if i was it would have to remain a secret.

I was just curious that's all with you being from Aussie, looks like an interesting project and I wish them the best . As far as secrets go,I'm quite comfortable of what I've gain over the past 5 years flowing the XS head and in time they'll gain the same knowledge through trial and error. I haven't forgotten about you either, I'll post the updates on this site,hopefully in another month or so...............Jack
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emul

I would try the lighter oil first, then adjustment if that wasn't satiafactory

Thanks Jack.
Photo Gallery
chilliwackwestie

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emul

no thoughts on the amount of preload the spring should have ?
cheers
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emul

Chilli, I did those mod's to my fork's, and have no trouble's at all.I used Pj fork oil,167CC. as per the instruction's. I did,however,put the stock adjustable cap's to the lowest position, had a hell of a time tryin' to get them started in the tube's, but all went well. I think once youv'e got the weight of the bike on them, they will be what you wanted. You did say just the front wheel on them, correct? Also, I do have them at the suggested (emulator's) at the suggested setting.
chilliwackwestie

PostPosted: July 23, 2009, 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emul

Really'
I guess ill put the motor in and test again. (I guess I forgot to mention that oops)
Cheers and thanks for all the suggestions
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 24, 2009, 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: stiff forks after mikes progressive springs & valve emul

chilliwackwestie wrote:
Really'
I guess ill put the motor in and test again. (I guess I forgot to mention that oops)
Cheers and thanks for all the suggestions

Kinda wasting every ones time asking about this as the answers mean absolutely nothing until you get the bike on the road and you actually test the dam things Rolling Eyes
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1