650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Proud to be an XS owner...Finally it lives!!!!

Proud to be an XS owner...Finally it lives!!!!
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
Mr-Bojangles

PostPosted: September 1, 2006, 12:57 am    Post subject: Proud to be an XS owner...Finally it lives!!!!

Very Happy

After much toiling, tinkering over the last month and the odd curse word here and there during that time... I finally got my XS to run as of 20 min ago... just kicked it and it LIVES!!!

I purchased the 79 XS-SF on July 30th and finally got it running today... WHEW... Laughing

I reconditioned the entire top end with new gaskets and new alum paint...

Also replaced the following: cam chain guide bar, points, condensor, bronze swing arm bushings, tapered steering bearings, XS1 exhaust system, 11.5" rear shocks, new Kenda rubber for both wheels, starter block off kit (Kickstart only...maybe for now), replaced light switch (original was broken), superbike handle bar with gran turismo grips...

ost of the parts I picked up from MikesXS...THANKS MIKE!

It has been a roller coaster ride of emotions putting everything back together for the first time...taking the engine apart was easy...putting it back together with the help of the CLYMER, HAYNES and the internet... it has been interesting and an EXCELLENT LEARNING EXPERIENCE OVERALL!!! All I can say is remember to align the Cam Shaft and Cam Chain on the DOT... Also place the governor rod in the right position... Two days of wondering if my Ignition system was destroyed; an upside down governor rod...geez... Embarassed

Future hopes and dreams... Going for the Bobber look... extend the swingarm and brace it, solo saddle, dual disc front brakes (already have em...just have to install em), redo the front suspension, perhaps an oversize piston kit...

Thanks to this site and many of the other XS sites and the all the people who have given so much info on these bikes. I have been very inspired by what I have seen and read and now am proud to say I'm an XS650 owner and rider!

See you on the road...keep the shiny side up!

xs600sf 047.jpg
 Description:
Not the most recent pic... I'll add a new one soon!
 Filesize:  1.74 MB
 Viewed:  298 Time(s)

xs600sf 047.jpg

Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: September 1, 2006, 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Proud to be an XS owner...Finally it lives!!!!

Arrow

Last edited by 5twins on September 11, 2009, 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
rwreed

PostPosted: September 1, 2006, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Proud to be an XS owner...Finally it lives!!!!

Hey Mr. BoJangles,
Nice looking ride. Sounds like you put alot of time into it. Where did you get the 11.5" rear shocks? They look stock. I dodn't see any like that in the Mikes XS catalog.

Keep up the good work. Enjoy! I've had mine since about 1982. Love it!
Slimbob

Photo Gallery
Mr-Bojangles

PostPosted: September 1, 2006, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Proud to be an XS owner...Finally it lives!!!!

Thanks for the torque tip 5twins. I'll double check the head nuts again!

rwreed, take a look at the pic I just added...it shows the 11.5" shocks from MikesXS.

Anyway, although I ranted about getting it started up Confused ...well it is now back to not running good... I had lots of white smoke coming out of the left exhaust and it didn't want to idle at 1200, instead it would float at 2000. I pulled the carbs to check them... they looked clean; free of debris. I pulled the plugs and they were coated in gas with some carbon on the tips. The porcelin was tan colour. Tried to adjust the idle screws, didn't seem to do much. Tried to switch the plugs around...seem to work a bit... but still, the bike ran smokey, tried to adjust the idling, didn't do to much. Last I tried, the bike make a pop out the left carb...and now it won't turn over. I'm only using kickstart as I've removed the starter. Can anyone provide any insight on my bike's situation? I'm stuck... Sad

a bit of info:

new plugs, new points (adjusted), new condensor pack, carb main jets are 140 on each side...valves adjusted... attempted to time the ignition...probably have to do it again...

Help...anyone... Confused Thanks in advance.

dsc02373.jpg
 Description:
Look at the smoke coming out the left exhaust... WHY????
 Filesize:  1.32 MB
 Viewed:  256 Time(s)

dsc02373.jpg

dsc02371.jpg
 Description:
Pic taken this afternoon
 Filesize:  1.46 MB
 Viewed:  272 Time(s)

dsc02371.jpg

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1