650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > My '79 Special

My '79 Special
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
Abraxxas1127

PostPosted: July 14, 2009, 9:35 am    Post subject: My '79 Special

Well heres a few pics of my '79 I picked up a few weeks ago, 7700 miles when I picked it up. Gathering the thoughts and ideas as to what Im going to make it into as of yet but am having a blast riding it until I decide. I had some pics of the day I picked it up, but they were on my phone which has since ended up smashed on the freeway somewhere between work and home Rolling Eyes

Changes I've made so far besides all the general maint/tuneup things are the satin black paint (was a horrible maroon) a pair of dirtbike bars my buddy donated, cut off the stock mufflers and welded up these 2" cherry bomb angled exit shorty glasspacks from Autozone) which sound great lol and rejetted it afterwards, replaced the original tires which Im amazed still held air with all the cracks in them, sanded and polished all the flats on the front wheel and resprayed the satin black, rear wheel next now that I like the results. Sanded and polished the little "Yamaha" cover on the left engine cover to see what the cases will look like when done, fixed the couple oil leaks with help from the vault, thanks!! Smile Updated the falling apart fuse block with an soldered in ATO style push in box and removed the front fender.

I will update when I start the real work, once I decide exactly what that will be!

Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 14, 2009, 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: My '79 Special

looks damn good right now, I'd say you've made it yours Cool
1ironhead

PostPosted: July 14, 2009, 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My '79 Special

Very nice so far....You're off to a much better start then me....and you're in the wind.
1ironhead

PostPosted: July 14, 2009, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My '79 Special

THAN me
bbjsw10

PostPosted: July 14, 2009, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My '79 Special

I just bought a 78 special last Thursday, I put dirt bike bars on mine already too. Mine is maroon as well. I am thinking about going vintage dual-sport with mine.
Abraxxas1127

PostPosted: July 14, 2009, 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My '79 Special

Thanks a bunch guys! Just ordered new coils and wires for it today, hoping to get rid of my intermittent high rpm miss the rest of the way Smile Other than that this thing runs sweet now.

I like the vintage dual sport idea, Im leaning toward a swoopy looking hardtail made on my new tubing roller Smile

'79 Yamaha XS6-fiddy Special
Photo Gallery
Rickrod

PostPosted: July 16, 2009, 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: My '79 Special

Like what you did with the bike.
I have a 79 special also.
Did you cut off the cross over pipes?
What main and pilot jets did you end up with?

Thanks in advance
Rick
Abraxxas1127

PostPosted: July 16, 2009, 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: My '79 Special

Rickrod wrote:
Like what you did with the bike.
I have a 79 special also.
Did you cut off the cross over pipes?
What main and pilot jets did you end up with?

Thanks in advance
Rick

Thanks! Yes, the crossover on my '79 was actually part of the muffler body, I cut the pipes off about 3/4 of an inch behind the mounting bracket. I ended up with 140 mains, stock pilots which could probably go up 1 size, and the bottom clip position on the needles (so they are as high as the go) and air screws about 2 3/4 turns out. Runs perfect other than a slight high rpm miss which I think is a bad coil, have 2 new ones coming. Plugs are a nice coco tan and she pulls nice all the way thru and cruises smooth as glass.
Photo Gallery
MountainCop

PostPosted: July 25, 2009, 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My '79 Special

Any way that we can hear a clip of the exhaust? I've been toying with doing something very similar with mine. Am I correct in assuming that you are still using the stock carbs?

Thanks in advance, she looks great!
cpt137

PostPosted: July 28, 2009, 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: My '79 Special

I'm heading down the same road, what kind of paint did you use and will it hold up to a gas spill?

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1