650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Yet another XS Newbie

Yet another XS Newbie
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
guelah

PostPosted: August 29, 2006, 5:59 am    Post subject: Yet another XS Newbie

Good day all. Well, I just recently got turned on to XS's while surfing the net. I sold my bikes just over two years ago (CBR and KLR) when my family and I moved from Oregon to PA. I made it two years without riding and could take it no more. While killing time at work surfing motorcycle pages I came across some XS websites and was immediately hooked! Couldn't believe how many fans there were or how many mods could be made. I began searching, mostly by way of mouth for some barn bikes, and found several fairly reasonable. I picked up an '80 with 8k and in very good condition (only some pits in the chrome), an '80 with 13k (ridable but rough cosmetically) and an '81 with 14k that was sitting in a field for about 5 years and had been used (or was beginning to be used) as a parts bike. In any case, all were complete bikes with titles and I picked them up for a total of $600.00.

Now the fun begins. I plan to keep one original and mod one to a flat tracker. I have very little cycle mechanic knowledge but can be fairly handy in the garage so this should be interesting as soon as I can figure out where to begin... Perhaps I already have...

Be well... guelah
Photo Gallery
mlading

PostPosted: August 29, 2006, 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another XS Newbie

I'm restoring an 81. Done mostly clean up and painting so far. Just mounted a pair of 36mm Mikui carbs. Not running yet. Looks like this may be a good sounding board for restoration projects. Good luck on yours, Mike from Kansas City.
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 29, 2006, 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another XS Newbie

Good Morning all, Just wanted to say hello. I have been here for a short while myself, If I can give you one little tip. Any questions just ask some one knows. you would be amazed how much shome of there people know.

Cheers Kyle
Photo Gallery
LouC

PostPosted: August 30, 2006, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another XS Newbie

Wow...3 650s! You struck the mother lode!! Smile

These old 650s have real character...I'll be looking for another one myself.

Will be lookin' forward to following your progress....

Lou in Omaha
guelah

PostPosted: April 10, 2007, 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another XS Newbie

Finally after many a long month I have: 1. posted a picture of the bike I've been riding. I bought it as seen in the photo and have only done a very basic once over to be sure it's safe to ride and polished up the engine case a bit (to see if it could shine) and 2. begun work on my first built. Thus far I have begun stripping the bike down to the frame. I've removed the engine, fenders etc. and am now waiting for my hotglass seat to arrive before moving forth. I'm hoping to have it ridable in about a month but finances always seem to be the deciding factor there.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1