650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > the bikes... they're multiplying

the bikes... they're multiplying
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
renloy

PostPosted: June 28, 2009, 3:24 pm    Post subject: the bikes... they're multiplying

Just picked up a 83 gs850 shaft drive for $100. I think I have a problem.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 28, 2009, 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

A problem?
Nah..unless you call being a lucky sod a problem ! Wink

gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
oldbikenut

PostPosted: June 28, 2009, 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

You're not the only one! I just picked up a 76 Ossa 350, why I ask myself. It is truly an addiction!

PostPosted: June 28, 2009, 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

Yep something about these old bikes. The new stuff just doesn't do it for me and I'm only 22
650SF

PostPosted: June 28, 2009, 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

Yeah, I hear that. I'm 25 and this is my 6th old bike lol.

'79 XS650SF

'89 Lincoln Mk VII LSC 5 speed
xsleo

PostPosted: June 28, 2009, 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

Yeah, the old bike's have a character and charm that the new ones just can't do.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
pablohoney

PostPosted: June 28, 2009, 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

You guys are pansy's, I have five bikes and I am only 17 and I want to buy more but my mom won't let me.
nudude53

PostPosted: June 28, 2009, 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

pablohoney wrote:
You guys are pansy's, I have five bikes and I am only 17 and I want to buy more but my mom won't let me.

y Mom died two years ago, Katie bar the door, I'm going after another XSB tomorrow. No permission slip needed.

"I know you are but what am I?" (40 years older) Laughing

tacoswild

PostPosted: June 29, 2009, 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

Cool
JeffM

PostPosted: June 29, 2009, 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

Laughing Laughing Laughing ...
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 29, 2009, 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

LMAO Laughing
Photo Gallery
Teebs

PostPosted: June 29, 2009, 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

LOL @ the turn of this thread.

This falls under the heading of: TOO MUCH INFORMATION.

"You guys are pansies, I have five bikes and I'm only 17..." <--- cool

"You guys are pansy's, I have five bikes and I am only 17 and I want to buy more but my mom won't let me." <---- not so much.

Thanks for the laugh!
gordonscott

PostPosted: June 29, 2009, 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

oldbikenut wrote:
You're not the only one! I just picked up a 76 Ossa 350, why I ask myself. It is truly an addiction!
I had a OSSA 250 super pionner, great bike with much racing history. Long story short I rode that thing thru a river once and the water was almost to the seat and it still pulled me and a passenger (friends bike broke a link and we were going to get one) all the way to the other side Shocked like a said great bike Wink p.s. YES WE ARE ADDICTED! I currently own 8 motorcycles, a moped,scooter, and a homemade "1909" Indian BTR in progress! I have a good wife Very Happy

Last edited by gordonscott on June 29, 2009, 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
oldbikenut

PostPosted: June 29, 2009, 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

pablohoney wrote:

Hey no name calling! Don't take it out on us that your mom won't let you have anymore bikes Laughing . At 17 that's a good #'s of bikes, I did not have near that many bikes at your age, I did'nt need that many to busy riding! Rolling Eyes

gordonscott, the Ossa I picked up is the 350 MAR. I've always wanted an old Ossa trials bike! It's missing a few pieces but is mostly there. I can't wait to get it going!

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 29, 2009, 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

An ossa MAR? Great little bike, I had green one up til 2 years ago, my mate in the next village bought it for his son to ride round his farm & hes wrecked it ! Crying or Very sad
Photo Gallery
gordonscott

PostPosted: June 29, 2009, 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

Proudly displayed Wink

cimg4349.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  230.75 KB
 Viewed:  117 Time(s)

cimg4349.jpg

woodman

PostPosted: June 29, 2009, 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

It doesnt get better with age. Im 65 and have 14 of them, all running but 1 spare XS650 Special and a 82 Gs1100 Suzuki parts bike I got for free
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: June 29, 2009, 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

Just my old 77 XS and my 06 250 Ninja but got an eye out for some kind of old honda twin...SL, CL, CB something 500cc or under..and most importantly CHEAP! Wink The wife has stated previously that three is my limit so why not push it? I don't think parts bikes count in the limit....sooo

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 29, 2009, 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

Shame your over the pond, Ive got a 77 CB400/4 here for £500 I want to sell to fund my next hardtail XS project...
Photo Gallery
gordonscott

PostPosted: June 29, 2009, 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

renloy, 650SF etc... It's nice to hear that there are some young guys that can appreciate a vintage motorcycle and not just new shiny plastic, nothing wrong with new bikes just saying. I’ve had more then one “young gun” come up to me and ask why I ride that old thing? or "you should buy a new bike! And when I pull out the kickstarter! you would think they just seen a rubik's cube for the first time Confused like Rodney "I get no respect" Laughing Laughing Laughing
Barbara

PostPosted: June 29, 2009, 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

Hi Guys,

Ossa! "She's a bear!" I never owned one, but drooled all over the ads in Cycle and Cycle World.....neat little strokers!

I have to chuckle about "old" bikes--I sort of always thought of my XS(s) as my modern bikes---they have an electric leg and turn-signals, y'know. Very Happy

y Triumph has turn-signals, but no electric starter, and none of the BSA's have turn signals (or, obviously, electric starters).

When my brother was riding way too fast on a Z-1 Kaw, I was learning how to kick-start a Matchless G-80 and not break my leg doing it. Just a different attitude about bikes, I suppose. I always loved the Nortons, Triumphs and BSA's, and lusted after a 7R AJS or a G50 Matchless, with that beautiful anodized gold cam-tower!

With machinery, old is cool. Doesn't matter if it is a bike, or a steam locomotive, or an old stationary make-and-break engine with a surface carb, or a WWI SE-5a---it's cool. And yes, it's really, really nice to read about younger people being interested in the older bikes. Someday, everyone except me will grow old and depart this little mudball, and the younger folks will be the old folks with neat old bikes!

There are worse fates! Laughing

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
highspeedhamish

PostPosted: June 29, 2009, 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

gordonscott wrote:
renloy, 650SF etc... It's nice to hear that there are some young guys that can appreciate a vintage motorcycle and not just new shiny plastic, nothing wrong with new bikes just saying. I’ve had more then one “young gun” come up to me and ask why I ride that old thing? or "you should buy a new bike! And when I pull out the kickstarter! you would think they just seen a rubik's cube for the first time Confused like Rodney "I get no respect" Laughing Laughing Laughing

Rofl... My friend had a restaurant with a rotary dial phone, a kid comes in and asks to use the phone, they say sure its in the back. He came back 3 minutes later with a puzzled look on his face, he honestly couldnt figure it out.

Its the old expression for people who have had a few decades seat time on a bike when faced with a young person.

"those who ride cannot tell you, those who dont cannot be told:

renloy

PostPosted: June 29, 2009, 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

highspeedhamish wrote:
gordonscott wrote:

Rofl... My friend had a restaurant with a rotary dial phone, a kid comes in and asks to use the phone, they say sure its in the back. He came back 3 minutes later with a puzzled look on his face, he honestly couldnt figure it out.

Its the old expression for people who have had a few decades seat time on a bike when faced with a young person.

"those who ride cannot tell you, those who dont cannot be told:

I've actually been looking for a cool rotary phone on ebay Smile
oldbikenut

PostPosted: June 29, 2009, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: the bikes... they're multiplying

Okay, here it is and don't laugh!, some of you may think I'm crazy but I think it's sweeet! It's missing a few of the big parts, but it is mostly there, the seat pan is there but the rest is long gone. The tank and front fender are high on my priority list, possibly switching out the Amal carb. Like I said earlier, I've always wanted an Ossa and what better than a trials! Be nice in your comments, I may take it personal Laughing And remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2