650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Ridiculous...I know

Ridiculous...I know
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
bighamms

PostPosted: June 17, 2009, 10:41 pm    Post subject: Ridiculous...I know

I need a walk through on changing the oil. I've consult the web but haven't found what I'm looking for. Have a Clymer manual that was printed with the "maintenance" section omitted. Can anyone out there give me a down and dirty tutorial (pics would be nice as this is my first bike....ever). thank
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 18, 2009, 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ridiculous...I know

Run the bike for at least 10 minutes to warm the oil..
Place a tray under the sump & remove both sump drain bolts
when the oils drained remove the sump & check condition of the sump filter/strainer - clean / replace when/if necessary
On the r/hand outer casing remove the 2 bolts securing the smaller round cover & check condition of the 'filter'/strainer - clean/replace etc. (Check the condition of the two gaskets here too)
reassembly is just a reverse of above procedure.
After reassembly fill with 20/50 oil..

gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
bighamms

PostPosted: June 18, 2009, 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ridiculous...I know

Great, this definitely points me in the right direction. couple of questions. Of the two large bolts (plugs) on the bottom of the motor, which is the oil plug (assuming I am sitting in the saddle)? is it the front or rear? Also, how much oil (i found a source online that said about 3.2qt....does this sound kosher)? thanks again. am definitely learning a lot on this forum.

Unrelated to oil.... took exhaust off to clean and noticed that the valves were kind of cruddy. Not bad, but definitely not shiny smooth walls. Should they be cleaned. Bike actually runs pretty damn good with the exception of some hesitation/backfire which I deduced as being a carb rebuild issue on one side. thanks again.
5twins

PostPosted: June 18, 2009, 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Ridiculous...I know

deleted

Last edited by 5twins on September 16, 2009, 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
jerseykat1

PostPosted: June 19, 2009, 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ridiculous...I know

Is the oil level measured with the dipstick screwed in or out? Also a thing I found out about over filling is that your clutch will not disengage very well with excessive oil in the engine. My bike had about 1 quart 2 much when I got the bike from CL seller and I could never find neutral when the bike is running and it would have slight forward movement with clutch fully depressed. So I drained some oil (was just changed says the seller and it looked clean) just for the sake of correcting the level and first thing I noticed was that I could now easily find neutral and no more forward movement at the light.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 19, 2009, 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ridiculous...I know

To check the level, run the bike for a few minutes to distribute the oil round the engine , switch off , leave to settle for 20 seconds then check with the dipstick resting in the hole - not screwed in.
Photo Gallery
jerseykat1

PostPosted: June 19, 2009, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ridiculous...I know

Would it be safe to assume that you should also be holding the bike level vs it being on the kickstand?
jerseykat1

PostPosted: June 19, 2009, 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ridiculous...I know

Sorry if I am thread jacking. But what is that other plug for next to the dipstick under the carbs?
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 19, 2009, 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ridiculous...I know

Bike should be straight & level
Ignore the other 'plug' thats for selector drum indent capnut

Photo Gallery
cretin75xs650

PostPosted: June 19, 2009, 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ridiculous...I know

So that is why I have oil out the breather. I installed pods and ran the breather line down by the swingarm with a filter on the end. I have been spraying oil when I do harder rides. (speeds in excess of 55 mph) I will probably drain the oil in the next 100 miles and put the correct amount in. I had put 3 quarts in when I got her on the road for the first time in over 8 years.
nudude53

PostPosted: June 20, 2009, 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ridiculous...I know

3 quarts is too much, anything over 2.3 quarts will blow out the breathers. Another thing, a seller will tell you anything to get your money and dump the bike, your best bet is to change the oil right away. A small expense now can save you alot of headaches later. Add Seafoam to the gas at the rate of 1 ounce per gallon, your bike will run smoother and in time it will clean the valves.

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1