650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Converting from dual to single petcock

Converting from dual to single petcock
    Forum Index -> Fuel
ejdirin

PostPosted: June 17, 2009, 4:04 pm    Post subject: Converting from dual to single petcock

Hey everyone,

This is just a basic question. I'm working on a chopper project and picked up a stock 76 XS650 tank with dual petcocks. I'd like to just run one. Has anybody ever tried this? Any issues with it? Any suggestions for plugging the hole (I drilled 2 holes in a small metal plate and it seems to work well with a gasket)?

The only issue I can see is that maybe I won't end up using all the fuel before I have to switch to reserve. Anything else I might have to worry about? I also have a cap for the opposite vacuum out on the carb manifold.

Thanks!

Erik
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: June 17, 2009, 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

If you have no objection to the cosmetic effect, seeing that blank metal plate on there like that, then there's nothing wrong with what you've done. Somebody else might object, but that's what we call a personal problem, isn't it?

If you want to get rid of the plate and make the holes invisible, you could always fill 'em with epoxy or JB Weld or something. Sand 'em off nice and flat, and paint over 'em. You ARE gonna paint this chopper when you're done with it, right?

Only other suggestion I'd make is to get rid of the vacuum-operated petcock on the other side. Replace it with a manual petcock from Mike's XS. Mike sells manual petcocks that fit in tanks that were made to hold the vacuum type. They cost something like $30 or $40 bucks, something like that, but they eliminate the problem of leaking fuel that you're going to have with the vacuum petcocks.
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 17, 2009, 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

The vacuum petcocks can be converted to manual (if you go that route) to save a couple of $. Information on that is in the vault
Photo Gallery
nudude53

PostPosted: June 17, 2009, 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

jimmythetrucker wrote:

If you want to get rid of the plate and make the holes invisible, you could always fill 'em with epoxy or JB Weld or something.

Don't do it, the gas will eventually eat through the JB Weld. Install a block-off plate instead.

weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 17, 2009, 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

ejdirin
I used a plate and piece of innertube, painted black. If your plate and gasket works it's fixed. Yes you do end up with gas on the side of the blank. Just refill quicker.

If you want to plug the hole I'd suggest talking with a body shop.
aybe welding a patch over it to seal and blend.
That's a pretty big hole to jump/fill with just a putty/epoxy/JB/fiberglass.

PostPosted: June 17, 2009, 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

[quote="weekendrider"]ejdirin
I used a plate and piece of innertube, painted black. If your plate and gasket works it's fixed. Yes you do end up with gas on the side of the blank. Just refill quicker.

If you want to plug the hole I'd suggest talking with a body shop.
aybe welding a patch over it to seal and blend.
That's a pretty big hole to jump/fill with just a putty/epoxy/JB/fiberglass.[/quote]

I once plugged a hole in the tank of an old International gas job -- the hole was the size of a golf ball -- with a wad of steel wool that I saturated with epoxy. The plug was still holding five years later, so I believe it was a permanent fix.
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 17, 2009, 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

I'm not saying jtt idea won't work but with the tank on the XS above the motor i would not like to be worrying if my tank was possibly going to leak over my motor......To be real safe make a blind and screw over the old petcock hole

Last edited by 650skull on July 12, 2009, 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: June 17, 2009, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

It will work. Look up epoxy on wikipedia. epoxy resin is heat and chemical resistant. For that matter, I believe the hundreds of companies that manufacture fiberglass fuel tanks would be interested in your theory. I'm sure they find something to say that would put you at ease.
nudude53

PostPosted: June 17, 2009, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

My experience has already proven you wrong, wikipedia or not.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: June 17, 2009, 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

Like I said: consult the manufacturers who make fiberglass fuel tanks. I'm sure they'd be interested in your vast knowledge of epoxy resins. But then, WTF to those scientists and engineers know anyway? nudude53 knows more than ALL of them.
nudude53

PostPosted: June 17, 2009, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

Not really, just more than you obviously.

Now, get over your little tantrum before Barb gets her spoon out.

I wonder if your mommy knows that you act like this when you get her permission to use the computer for your allotted time period.

650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 17, 2009, 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

ejdirin, you have asked the question and got several answers....... ......Good luck

Last edited by 650skull on June 17, 2009, 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: June 17, 2009, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

[quote="nudude53"]Not really, [/quote]

Thank you, nudude53. I accept that as a public admission on your part that you don't know WTF you're talking about in this case. That's enough for me.
nj1639

PostPosted: June 17, 2009, 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

I'm using an aftermarket dual output petcock from Old Bike Barn on the left side of the tank. For the right side I took the base off a stock vacuum petcock, leaving 2 small holes in the base and put a simple lawn mower fuel shut off valve in one of the holes and J.B. welded it and the other hole. Then ran a fuel line to the unused input/output of the aftermarket petcock.
Reserve/reserve and it works.

danno

PostPosted: June 17, 2009, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

Why can't we all just get along?
nudude53

PostPosted: June 17, 2009, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

What for? Twisted Evil
danno

PostPosted: June 17, 2009, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

The benefit of other site members...
nudude53

PostPosted: June 17, 2009, 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

It's all fun and games until somebody runs with the scissors.
ejdirin

PostPosted: June 18, 2009, 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

Thanks for all the help guys. Its my first time posting. Great to see so many replies in such a short amount of time! Thanks again.
wally

PostPosted: June 18, 2009, 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

Heres my blank of plate

p5190658.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.35 KB
 Viewed:  250 Time(s)

p5190658.jpg

p5190660.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.15 KB
 Viewed:  215 Time(s)

p5190660.jpg

popojijo4

PostPosted: June 28, 2009, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

imho, cosmetically that looks just fine.

PostPosted: June 28, 2009, 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

Looks good, works good, keep it.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 14, 2009, 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

jimmythetrucker wrote:
It will work. Look up epoxy on wikipedia.

This is what Wikipedia has to say about the information that it puplishes on the site.

Quote::
Wikipedia is written collaboratively by volunteers from all around the world. Anyone with internet access can make changes to Wikipedia articles.
Visitors do not need specialized qualifications to contribute.

Because Wikipedia is an ongoing work to which, in principle, anybody can contribute, it differs from a paper-based reference source in important ways. In particular, older articles tend to be more comprehensive and balanced, while newer articles more frequently contain significant misinformation, unencyclopedic content, or vandalism. Users need to be aware of this to obtain valid information and avoid misinformation
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 14, 2009, 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Converting from dual to single petcock

I wouldn't trust JBweld or any epoxy for someting like this and inner tube rubber swells in gas, you should use nitrile rubber as the gasket
www.rubbercal.com/Nitrile.html

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1