650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > cam chain tensioner popping noise

cam chain tensioner popping noise
    Forum Index -> Engine
thrasher

PostPosted: June 16, 2009, 2:28 am    Post subject: cam chain tensioner popping noise

so i put a new engine in my bike that was "rebuilt" by my uncle several years ago. i'm pretty sure the engine is about a 1975. for the most part it looked ok and i could see crosshatch in the cylinders so i assumed it was all good. well i went to adjust the cam chain tensioner is that when i turn the engine over with the kicker the tensioner pops. i took the cap nut off the tensioner and immediately noticed that there was no locknut, also the adjuster was ran in a long ways compared to my old bike and the rod was even sticking out a little ways. i backed it off until the rod was flush but instead of just moving in and out a little ways when you turn it over the rod will go in a little then pop and come out about 1/2 inch. plus with it adjusted like this the adjuster wasn't out far enough to have both a locknut and the capnut on there.
what the heck is wrong here? should i just swap the tensioner assembly over from my original engine or is this problem caused by something else
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 16, 2009, 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: cam chain tensioner popping noise

The rod sticking out a little is probably because the copper dampner washer was left out..........and for adjustment is sure sounds like it's cam chain time......guides ..........?

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
yamaha_dave

PostPosted: June 16, 2009, 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: cam chain tensioner popping noise

Is it necessary to remove the heads to replace the cam chain tensioner and guides or can it be done through the cam chain tensioner mounting plate?
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 16, 2009, 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: cam chain tensioner popping noise

The cam chain tensioner is all that is available through the tensioner hole.
Front guide requires the head be removed.

PostPosted: June 16, 2009, 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: cam chain tensioner popping noise

Dang-it! Rolling Eyes
Photo Gallery
yamaha_dave

PostPosted: June 16, 2009, 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: cam chain tensioner popping noise

I changed my oil last weekend and found a thin 1" long sliver of hard black plastic. I can only assume it's from the cam chain guide...
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 16, 2009, 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: cam chain tensioner popping noise

I'd bet that assumption is correct.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 16, 2009, 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: cam chain tensioner popping noise

thrasher;
Try adjusting as follows. Engine hot from riding a fare distance. Adjust the tensioner inward until the in/out motion has stopped. Back off on the tensioner until you have a small amount ( about 1/32" or .031") of in/out moton.
Photo Gallery
thrasher

PostPosted: June 16, 2009, 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: cam chain tensioner popping noise

well i know how to adjust the tensioner, the problem is that every time you turn the engine over the tensioner makes a loud popping noise and the rod comes out about 1/2 inch. it seems to do this no matter how far in or out you adjust it.
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 16, 2009, 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: cam chain tensioner popping noise

It's hard to imagine a chain being that loose but it does sound like it.......and with the head off you should check the face of the rear tensioner........it could be gone making the chain even appear looser...they do last but if someone over tichtened the chain it can wipe them off.......the snapping noise would be as the cam passes a lobe and tightens the chain....snap...........

have to lift the barrels to change the rear cam chain adjuster.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1