650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Battery relocation

Battery relocation
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
bighamms

PostPosted: June 14, 2009, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Battery relocation

Anyone point me in the right direction. I am not planning to hardtail my 650 but am planning to chop seat rails and bend them down ever so slightly. This means that I need to relocation the battery. Any suggestions on how this done? Best place to put it? Difficulty level?
dpmphoto

PostPosted: June 14, 2009, 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery relocation

put it right above the swingarm(just lower it ) You can also use a smaller battery if your making a kicker.I'm doing one right now, place a battery in there when your shaping the rails u can bend it enough with leaving room for the batt
bighamms

PostPosted: June 14, 2009, 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery relocation

Perfect that is exactly what I was thinking. Are you building a custom box for your battery? do you have pics of your build? I would love to see them. Currently my bike is untouched. First bike, not mechanically inclined so I thought I would live her whole until the winter. Trying to get a few months of riding in before I discover that i've taken the beast apart and have no clue how to put it back together
dpmphoto

PostPosted: June 15, 2009, 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery relocation

I'm starting another one right now gonna be a softtail bobber with a 3 inch extended swingarm to balance things out(I think a lot builds on here look like the wheelbase is too short makes the back look funny).I'll post after I'm done cutting and welding.THere super simple bikes to work on.Just put all the parts in ziplock bags and label with a sharpie then put in boxes one box for each section of the bike you'll be fine.Oh make sure you use good quality primer and paint for the frame to avoid scratches when putting the motor back in et.
nudude53

PostPosted: June 15, 2009, 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery relocation

dpmphoto wrote:
Oh make sure you use good quality primer and paint for the frame to avoid scratches when putting the motor back in et.

FYI guys, follow this thread and learn my secret to installing the engine without scratching your frame paint. Works GREAT!

650rider.com/index.php...amp;t=7291

dpmphoto

PostPosted: June 15, 2009, 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery relocation

I usually put the frame on its side,learned that from indian larry
nudude53

PostPosted: June 15, 2009, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery relocation

Spread the word.
georelle

PostPosted: June 15, 2009, 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery relocation

I did my frame that way and had plenty of room under the seat still. And I have a little bigger battery then stock. I welded a plate onto the supports under the seat and made a battery box. I even had room to mount the solenoid in front of the battery box. I have pics in my gallery.

Georelle

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
bighamms

PostPosted: June 15, 2009, 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery relocation

Dude, I really appreciate the feedback. This is pretty spot on to what i want the bike to look like. I have a few questions for you. 1. seat frame: did you just cut and bend this down? 2. what type of rear shock are you using and did you have to relocate the upper mount? 3. did you refinish the motor...it is incredibly prestine 4. rear blinkers: where did you find them and are they wired through the frame? 5. did you do the welding yourself and is this your first build?
sorry for the interrogation, but you bike is a sexy beast. I like the simplicity. A lot of bobber/chopper builds are too far outside my personality so
georelle

PostPosted: June 15, 2009, 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery relocation

Bighamms
1. I did cut the frame and bent it down. But I also brought a scrap piece to the local steel supplier and found some pipe that would fit snug over. I used that to slide over the part I bent down and notched it to meet with the frame. This made it easier to match up where I wanted and added strength.
2. I got the shortest shocks MikesXS has. I did relocate the upper mount. I trimed the old shock mount off the frame so I could leave the slanted horizontal support as high as possible so the bike would be as low as possible with out going to shorter shocks. I notched the tops of the frame here to set some thick steel pipe onto the top of the frame and welded it on. I also welded a nut inside that to bolt the shocks on.
3. I have not refinished the motor. I polished the cases with my grinder using a buffing wheel and some mibro polish compound, after wet saning with like 600-800. You can get this polishing compound at most hardware stores. I got this at Lowes. Check out this link:
www.mibro.com/content/..._Polishing
4 I got the rear blinkers, seat and anything that I didn't make or buy from Mikes from www.jirehcycles.com They are not wired through the frame, black shrink tubing and black zip ties.
5 This bike was my first build. I did some of the welding. I did not weld the frame. I am not good enough to trust my welding on the frame especially the shock mounts. I had a very good welder do that and he says the frame will break before the welds will.
You should get a good idea what I did after reading this and looking at my frame pictures in my gallery.
If you do not have a grinder get one. If you are going to do any frame mods and polishing you will need it. I even notched my frame pieces to fit with the grinder. It takes patience and practice but they need to fit nice to get a good looking and strong weld.
I hope your bike turns out the way you want. It is a good feeling when you get done. And it is fun to ride.
Georelle.

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1