650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Getting a dent out of the tank

Getting a dent out of the tank
    Forum Index -> Fuel
fordtech

PostPosted: August 17, 2006, 4:47 pm    Post subject: Getting a dent out of the tank

I recently was given 1980 650 and am trying to put it back together. One of the problems I have is the left side of the gas tank has about a dent in it about 2 inches roughly in diameter, looks like they dropped the bike at one time and the handlebar hit it. I was wondering if any of you know a way of getting the dent out without having to drill holes in it for a dent puller. I havent found any of the suction type pullers that are small enough , most seem to big. Any info would be appreciated , thanks.
flavaz33

PostPosted: August 17, 2006, 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting a dent out of the tank

You would need a stud gun and a dent puller, being similiar to drilling holes, but youd have to be careful not to weld a stud on too hot to tear a hole in the tank when breaking off the studs. Which would put you in the same position as drilling holes. So id carefully go with a stud gun, unless you happen to find a small dent repair suction cup.
fordtech

PostPosted: August 17, 2006, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting a dent out of the tank

I've thought about the stud gun. I've got a couple of other ideas in my head that I'm about to go try. I'll check back later with my progress.
jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 17, 2006, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting a dent out of the tank

There should be a lug welded on the steering column to prevent the handle bars from doing that. If the bike was dropped, it could have broken the lug off. I have pics if needed.
fordtech

PostPosted: August 17, 2006, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting a dent out of the tank

Holy S**t, I can't believe this worked but it did. I managed to get an old kickstand off of a bicycle and bent it in a way that I was able to push the dent back out! It didn't take me long at all to do this either. Now all I have is a couple of small high spots to massage out and the tank will look good as new! I think the handlebars hit the tank because they werent the right ones for the bike, someone at sometime tried to make it into a chopper or something because it had these great big curved bars on it.

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1