650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Total advance @ ? rpm. advance curve

Total advance @ ? rpm. advance curve
    Forum Index -> Electrical
weverat

PostPosted: June 6, 2009, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Total advance @ ? rpm. advance curve

I have a tx650, a while back I shortened the advance weight springs, as the advance was a bit sticky. Any how, I am playing with the timing today, and notice the timing does not advance until 4200rpm. At about 4100 it is still fully retarded, and then it slams to full advance. I am thinking the springs are now to tight ? TX650 w/duel points. By the way, you forum guys are awsome, and I appreciate all the expert advice. Does this thing have a spell check ?

Thank You

Weve - Rochester MN
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 6, 2009, 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Total advance @ ? rpm. advance curve

Have you removed the advancer rod from the camshaft and cleaned lubed it? Moly grease is recommended. Make sure its moving freely. Its hard to believe it doesn't move until 4100 RPM!

Do the weights move freely?
Photo Gallery
weverat

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Total advance @ ? rpm. advance curve

Oh ya, Everything is cleaned up and working smoothly. I will try new springs, I just wish I new what a normal advance curve is for this engine.
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Total advance @ ? rpm. advance curve

Could try just spreading the springs carefully...(measure)...everyone is going to have their opinions on the advance curve...........for me it should go up slowly......some at 1800 more at 2500 and maybe full at 3500+ or so........if it goes up too quickly it won't cruise worth a S......

too much advance just beats the cranks out of them .........my opinion they run better a bit retarded anyway........and full advance at 2500 would be useless for me........you want it to push the crank over the top at lower rpms......say below 3000 .....if too advanced it works against you at lower rpms........too retarded it can be doggy.......dicking with springs would be a pain for me.........love the stock TCI curve for that reason.....yamaha did it right except for a bit too much advance to start off.....easily rectified buy 1/8" retard @ 1200..........

God am I glad for 8-1....all the bull S is behind me now.......compression and longivity are partners working against each other.........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Total advance @ ? rpm. advance curve

I believe the centrifugal weights full advance is at 3000 RPM and the electronic TCI is 3200 RPM.
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Total advance @ ? rpm. advance curve

You can add on spell check to internet explorer (or fire fox or, google has a spell check also) its great any page you type in you can do a spell check.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Total advance @ ? rpm. advance curve

How do you add spell check to Internet explorer......a download or does it need to be activated.........I have firefox but prefer the Explorer for some reason...........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Total advance @ ? rpm. advance curve

In the Clymer book, it doesn't list a spec until late 78, the max advance is 41.5 @ 3300 rpm. 79 is 40 @ 3000.in 80 and 81 the TCI is 40@3200 in 82 the timing is "fixed" If yours won't open until 4200 with them slamming open. I would say they are to tight, stretching them may work< i would try it. Getting a replacement set won't cost much. I put new ones on my 75 from Mike's, They opened a little soon so I clipped just one spring, works good now. when you get a new set, try both new ones, then one new one and one old one. see which works best. Have you had the advance apart? If so you may have it together wrong. There are arrows that should be facing out, and there should be colored marks on the disc and wieghts that match up. The book says the advance won't advance right without everthing right.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Total advance @ ? rpm. advance curve

xsjohn wrote:
How do you add spell check to Internet explorer......a download or does it need to be activated.........I have firefox but prefer the Explorer for some reason...........

xsjohn

Off topic ... I pasted your question into Google ... www.iespell.com/
Never used it ... let us know how it works Smile
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Total advance @ ? rpm. advance curve

I've just realised that on my google tool bar (which I've had up for ages) has a button with a green tick & check written next to it. Press it after typing here and it does the job!
Joseph

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Total advance @ ? rpm. advance curve

Try this link, add iespell. if not. Go to tools , manage add ons, find more add ons and search spell check then download ieSpell.

www.ieaddons.com/en/se...ll%20check

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1