650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > It's way too hot

It's way too hot
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
tacoswild

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 4:53 pm    Post subject: It's way too hot

ugh... Sometimes I wonder why motorcycling is a summer sport. With all the gear we need to wear I'm just dying out there. Suddenly the kid in front of me riding his crotch rocket in a tshirt, shorts and sandals doesn't look so crazy. I switched to a white helmet, light colored pants, and I'm cruising the freeway with my jacket totally unzipped and flapping in the wind but I'm still getting to work drenched in sweat.

I'm getting very close to buying one of those mesh jackets the kids wear Shocked
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: It's way too hot

Taco, I, personally wear a denim vest when it's real warm. Offer's some protection at least.Oh, a shorty helmet, too. If I go down, at least I've got a little more than a 'T' shirt. Smile
Barbara

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: It's way too hot

Hi Taco--

I feel your pain. We aren't used to this kind of heat out here--I saw 92 on my thermometer yesterday! It's a problem balancing safer clothing with keeping body temperature down....I don't know that there is a solution, but I certainly love a cool shower after being out in the heat.

And the stupid air conditioner in my stupid van broke. Good timing, huh?

I never thought I'd say it, but a day or so of rain would be kinda nice.....right now the moss on my north side is turning brown..... Very Happy

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
tacoswild

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: It's way too hot

If I'm doing something pretty low speed I'll leave the jacket at home and wear short sleeves, like last night going to the movies with my girlfriend. At 9:30pm when the movie got out it was about the perfect temp for a short sleeved ride home and still plenty light out. (stays light quite late up here in the summer)

y ride to work has some freeway time though and I'm kind of partial to the flesh that's attached to my arms.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: It's way too hot

that's what saddlebags are for, leather jacket, chaps, gloves, rain suit, googles, rubber boots, and a shorty helmet a couple of wrenchs a map and the kitchen stove compleats the list.... did I forget anything? Rolling Eyes
JeffM

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: It's way too hot

Saw a younger dude on an R6 yesterday with shorts, tank top, running shoes... topped off with a fullface and an armour chest protector. First time I had seen that combo. Its all how you land, eh.

I was out watering the garden at 9pm last night, it was so nice and cool with the hose running I ended up staying out and washing the bike!
tacoswild

PostPosted: June 6, 2009, 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: It's way too hot

haha that's great. I guess when the blind guy turning left sends you flying you tuck your arms behind you and glide on your belly over his hood and down the road. Shocked

All kidding aside I did lock the rear brake up for quite a slide trying to avoid that situation this week. Might need to "go back to school" and practice some panic stops in the parking lot. I'm glad I grew up riding in the dirt where the back end is always hanging out and that this is a pretty light bike you can manage okay while it's sliding a bit.
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 6, 2009, 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: It's way too hot

The problem I found years ago with panic stops is....that if they fail you no longer have time to jump up and the bars can eat you......and flip you upside down for a whiriling landing...........down right ugly.......it's like...up down up down then smack... Shocked ......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
IAmGrowler

PostPosted: June 6, 2009, 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: It's way too hot

xsjohn wrote:
The problem I found years ago with panic stops is....that if they fail you no longer have time to jump up and the bars can eat you......and flip you upside down for a whiriling landing...........down right ugly.......it's like...up down up down then smack...

And don't forget all of those lovingly polished chrome doo-dads attached to the bars, John.

Nothing quite like being raked the entire length of your body by a mirror as you go sailing over the bars.

PostPosted: June 6, 2009, 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: It's way too hot

Love my small Sport Fairing......gives me something to hide behind.....but....always thinking that thing could become Edward Scissorhands himself if I hit something..........think when I get old I will just put a pillow up there.....and some thick pads on the mirrors and bars...... Laughing ....wait I am old......... Shocked

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Jeffery

PostPosted: June 6, 2009, 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: It's way too hot

Come on out here to Phoenix about August. Some nights it don't get below 100 degrees. Theres no let-up for about 4 months. Thats got to be hard on an air-cooled motor. My XS always seemed to run better in a cooler climate. However, the elderly swear this dry heat does wonders for their joints. Theirs tons of retired folks from places like Illinois and Michigan that never want to go back.
Jeffery
IAmGrowler

PostPosted: June 6, 2009, 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: It's way too hot

Rode through Mesa about 12 years ago and learned a very valuable lesson about hot asphalt:

A 400lb plus motorcycle's kickstand will sink into sun baked asphalt and topple right over onto its shiny doo-dads -- Usually breaking the most expensive ones.

After that I carried around an 8"x8" piece of 1/4" diamond plate in my saddlebags for road trips to some of the warmer climes.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 6, 2009, 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: It's way too hot

Growler, I got me a little plastic pad created for just such a purpose. The motorcycle club I was considering joining was giving them away. I've seen them at the bike shop's for about $3. Nice, liteweight pad fit's under the seat on top of the battery. I went to see a friend who just had his driveway done, saw me coming in & went running for a board. Should of seen his face when I pulled that out,man, priceless!! Cool
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 6, 2009, 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: It's way too hot

When I can, I carry a can of beer with me. In a spot like that, I drink the beer, crush the can & put the stand on that!

That sounds like a good one Gordo, a piece of plastic, save shaking the beer around too much! Laughing

Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 6, 2009, 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: It's way too hot

I don't get it? What are you guys talking about? All the houses, in my neighbourhood, have snow on their roofs this morning Shocked No danger of sidestands sinking into asphalt here Smile
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 6, 2009, 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: It's way too hot

That's global warming...........Gonna cost us money too..... Evil or Very Mad

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: June 6, 2009, 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: It's way too hot

Retiredgentleman wrote:
I don't get it? What are you guys talking about? All the houses, in my neighbourhood, have snow on their roofs this morning Shocked No danger of sidestands sinking into asphalt here Smile

Had to go there, huh, RG? OK, but just you wait until January....heehee. I'll be riding around in 40F weather--as will the guys on Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland--and y'know that snow on the roofs? Oh, yeah---everywhere!

And deep!

But I'd take that before Phoenix! I have a friend who moved there for work--starts every phone call with, "Yeah, but it's a dry heat" and then tells me how he's dying down there and it's 110F, etc......I usually grin and tell him there is a nice breeze off Puget Sound, and it's in the 60's....perfect riding weather.

(I hope the snow doesn't keep you from riding, RG. Really.)

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: June 6, 2009, 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: It's way too hot

tacoswild- I have the armored jacket , gloves, full face, joe rockets armored pants etc but have to admit I only wear the pants when it's cold. The jacket I usually wear to ride to and from work-beginning rush hour at 6am or on our rides, not around town. I know that's when most of the crashes happen though. If I get hot I just take it off and tuck it under my cargo net on the back of the seat. Helmet and gloves stay on. If it gets too hot here I usually ride early or late.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: It's way too hot

Well take it from sombody thats been down a time or two. Being a little warm is a lot more comfortable than growing new skin.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 8, 2009, 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: It's way too hot

I dislike riding in hot/humid weather as much as I do in rain/snow ,I never wear leather jeans , way too hot & they dont look right on an XS but I do wear Kevlar-lined denim jeans ang leather gloves & jacket (old-style) because as xsleo says its better than skin-grafts !
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
Razar

PostPosted: June 8, 2009, 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: It's way too hot

Open your collar, go fast. Works for me.

PostPosted: June 8, 2009, 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: It's way too hot

Hawaiian shirts with extra cheeze Cool

tx #290 cheeze.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  379.66 KB
 Viewed:  151 Time(s)

tx #290 cheeze.jpg

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 8, 2009, 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: It's way too hot

Razar wrote:
Open your collar, go fast. Works for me.
needs to be a snap down collar otherwise it will beat you (those few people who need to be slapped can disregard this)

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1