650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > 79' hanging idle questions

79' hanging idle questions
    Forum Index -> Fuel
WesDafunk

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 2:36 pm    Post subject: 79' hanging idle questions

My 79 is starting to drive me crazy ive been researching all the possible causes for my hanging idle and still it is rediclous when it climbs to 4500rpm, i have no air leaks (new boots new gasket, with the carb cleaner test) I lubed my advance rod, did the timing as best I could (pamco electronic ignition is on its way). I have the cheap pods on it but i cut the inner lip so it does not block the holes but im getting k&n's this weekend.

One question is with my atu, i replaced the springs (just in case) and it is still saggy, is it supposed to snap shut when you pull them out? because my springs deffinatley do not pull it back, ive had the atu rod out twice to make sure its lubed properly and still no snap in the atu, i was wondering if that may be my problem or have someting to do with it? Another thing was after i put my atu rod in the first time when i cleaned it a couple days later when i tried to kick it the kick pedal was feeling soft or binding and it was vary hard to get started, but since i took it out again it is fine again so i dont know, it freaked me out. But your help is very much appreciated.

Wes

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 79' hanging idle questions

Sounds almost exactly like the situation I'm having. idle jumps way up and then comes back down. I have not been able to get it fixed as of yet. I also have a post for it on this forum. hopefully someone can help...
WesDafunk

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 79' hanging idle questions

I think I may have actually fixed my idle problem! Last night i took off my atu springs and bent the spring ends in with the needlenose so they pulled a little more and now the atu will snap shut when you pull on it, unlike before it just stayed open. i may rest a little easier now ill put my carbs back on later today when i get some time and fire her back up and maybe even take her for a spin. pamco ignition on the way too.

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 79' hanging idle questions

I was gonna say that the ATU should snap closed when you pull them out and release them. Tightening the springs will help, as long as you don't get them to tight.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
Shannon60

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 79' hanging idle questions

Alot of times when the idle doesnt come down right away its caused by a lean air fuel mixture and normally corrected with the mixture screws if not by a richer pilot jet and some tuning
WesDafunk

PostPosted: June 8, 2009, 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: 79' hanging idle questions

I'm so frustrated right now with this thing right now! As soon as I go my carbs back together and back on I turned the gas on and gas starts pooring out the left bowl. I took them off another 2 times toniht and retook them apart and I can find no leaks or even where it could leak, I even switched tv bowls to see of it was that but it still is letting a steady flow of gas out of where they connect so I'm baffled as of what to do
I've got exhaust and k&ns with 30 piolts and 127.5 mains I had the mix screw to stock. When i started it up it still was sparatic and climbed and hovered. I'll mess with mixture and see where that gets me. Thbks for the help!

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1