650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > The Smile Gets bigger

The Smile Gets bigger
    Forum Index -> Electrical
blue900

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 11:42 pm    Post subject: The Smile Gets bigger

After working on this thing for 4 years and riding it a lot (about every day in the summer) for 3 yrs 50mile round trip commute. I am Really getting there. Cured another bug this week.
I was running out of electrical power.
I replaced the dual bulb Tail Light with the 10 LED Blazer and could tell the difference Right away. Signals flashed better. But as I tested the battery daily the voltage was dropping.
I decided the 3 yr old regular acid type battery was dieing. Replaced it with a new AGM battery. WOW. This bike has Never run like this before. the new battery voltage is now sitting at 12.97volts. The Horn even works! ( I thought that just needed replaced also). The old battery voltage was steady going down and was at 12.26volts when I replaced it.
I have been running on marginal voltage for 3 years. Last spring must have made it even worse when I geared it up. The commute rpm went from 5000 to 4000 and I was having issues having to charge the battery every so often, to much on my mind I guess, I just thought-Ah weak electrical system. I thought the so so performance was the carbs not quite jetted correct. After all this I think a volt gauge should be one of the first upgrades it could save you a lot of questions. That is Next for me.
ANY THANKS to everyone who has shared knowledge and helped me get this and all the other bugs fixed and get bike where it is! The Commute in fun again! zoom zoom
Starts right up, Idles correctly, Smooth easy Takeoffs from a stop, and great acceleration. and seems to be running cooler. Later fellow 650 Riders. More stuff to fix I'm sure, But Joy for now.
Ron
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Smile Gets bigger

Ron, you brought up some really good points. I always try to mention how important keeping the voltage in the correct range is. The voltage on your bike is a lot like your body's blood pressure. If your body has low blood pressure, you're in big trouble.

Too many guys are chasing imagined carb problems, when they really need to check out their bike's voltage. LED taillights will cut down on amps and boost voltage.

Voltmeters are so cheap (analog or digital) ; I believe its a real necessity on these old bikes.
Photo Gallery
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Smile Gets bigger

Congrats Ron.....glad to hear that you went with the AGM. Since my kicker's gone down....(leg... not kick start), having AGM's on a battery tender is the only way to fly for my bikes that don't get ridden enough to stay topped off. That and having a headlight on/off switch......Off unless actually needed fills the bill so to speak for me. For my two cents, it's worth remembering that our 650's electrical charging capacity was not engineered for lights on always operation and that change was kind of a tacked on load demand added along the way. Don't forget RG's and Jayel's oft times reminded switch and connector cleaning drills. A lot of power's lost to heat in those dirty devices and hook ups. Best, Blue

Last edited by bluebikerblan on June 5, 2009, 9:26 am; edited 2 times in total
TeeCat

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Smile Gets bigger

Congrats, Ron!

At RG's recommendation I installed a voltmeter. I have not had a chance to check on-road voltage yet, but I think an AGM will be my next upgrade as well.

TC
Photo Gallery
blue900

PostPosted: June 5, 2009, 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Smile Gets bigger

I still need to clean the connections and get the gauge. What really stands out other than the Much better running is how well the horn Works I thought it needed a tune up or just replaced. It works fine now. In place of nothing else that may tell you how close to the not enough juice you are. If its not working or weak you need to do something. some times it would work kinda Other times not at all. Thanks RG and Blue.
Rex I hope To schedule a Ride to see you soon. I now have no reservations on riding the bike.
Now I can get back to getting the Jetting Better, I gave up on that last year I now see it was the correct thing to do.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1