650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Pods or stock fileters

Pods or stock fileters
    Forum Index -> Fuel
newelly

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 2:36 pm    Post subject: Pods or stock fileters

I am looking at getting better performance out of my 77D, I am looking to make mods to the exhaust and the carbs, what are the benefits of running pods over stock filters other then losing the side covers, also what mods would have to be done the the carbs themselves if I go with the 52mm pods and the 2-1 on mikes and taper tip muffler from Mikes. Thanks for the help...
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pods or stock fileters

Ramair foam pods work best for mine
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
zimme71

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pods or stock fileters

I have an '81 Special, and just this winter went to a Kerker 2-1 pipe (still using the megaphone muffler, but not for long), re-jetted, with pod air filters, and notice better mid-range power. I'm hoping to soon get rid of the muffler, to just have a free-flow, re-jet, and see what happens Very Happy
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pods or stock fileters

On my '80 I got the Mike's pipe's, went up to the 45 pilot & 140 on the main. Run's pretty good, no stumble & pull's through the whole RPM range.I'm also running the XS pod filter's.
jurob

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pods or stock fileters

if your bike runs good now, save your money. filter, exhaust, carb tune, etc... can only make so much more power on a 50hp bike.
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Pods or stock fileters

jurob wrote:
if your bike runs good now, save your money. filter, exhaust, carb tune, etc... can only make so much more power on a 50hp bike.

Yeah, thats right only 50 odd ponies, so I'd reckon you'd want every single one of them ready & willing to go!

xsjohn

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Pods or stock fileters

Gordo ......just might be washing the rings on heavy throttle and still starving it at mid to low throttle.......and still the temperature imballance and higher than needed temperatures at cruise..........ah what would I know..........

and pods suck the first time you are stuck in a torrent.......and no one has convinced me yet that they are any better than the stock filters.....it's like you are going to get to heaven faster if you live on top of a mountain jive..........it's like the filter is in a box instead of being all ugly in your face.....and usually the first dumb mod from a novice......like drilling the baffels and loosing all your bottom end so the neighbors can hear you scream around while you are trying to blow the engine all to hell....then buying more high rev crap so it will blow even faster.......and bitch about all the engine noise ......... someone shoot me.... Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
nudude53

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pods or stock fileters

They don't help support the carbs and help the intake manifolds to fail faster. I've got them on mine only because I've had a hard time finding stock airboxes that old, not because they are cool. The other day I didn't let it warm up enough and it backfired and stalled when I let out the clutch out, when it did it blew the carb slam out of the manifold. As soon as I can find some stock boxes the pods are history.
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Pods or stock fileters

Think I'll put some heavy springs and a high lift cam in mine so I can go faster.....it will be such a pleasure to hear all that fricken racket....and so relaxing on my jaunt...........then some popups so it overheats and shits the bed...........

ebay for the airboxes.......the pod freaks and dismantlers are selling them cheap...... who would want airboxes when you can buy those beautiful pods........like I always find myself lingering in the airfilter department admiring the designs......... Laughing Laughing ....some one just shoot me....

God if I only had the guts to say what I really think....... Shocked

y son wacked the rear springs on his XJ650...so he could look like the idiot that he is.....now all his crap is draging the ground ....center stand......and he is looking for some more springs....... told him......what would I know..... Laughing

xsjohn

Last edited by xsjohn on June 4, 2009, 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
nudude53

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Pods or stock fileters

"God if I only had the guts to say what I really think....... "

What's stopping you? Are you sick tonight?

I did find a set on ebay, 2 sets actually, but one set was mis-matched. There is a crossover pipe on the older style and one of them was not a match for the pipe. So the good set got repainted and put on the project bike. I'll get around to my rider shortly, unless of coarse I can find some transparent covers, then I can leave the pods on and be oh-so-cool. I might even put some little blue LED lights inside to make sure that they don't go un-noticed. But money is tight right now and I'm saving up for a full set of leathers for riding in July and August.

WTF is up with that anyway?

xsjohn

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Pods or stock fileters

Maybe some huge John Deer air filters...mounted right up front.....then we can breathe through them our selves when the pollen is heavy.....

Son's tank came in today.....XJ650....most tanks for them are rare sell for 200+....got this one pot luck for 50 bucks...ebay......guy said there was no key for the cap and didn't know the inside of the tank..was perfect inside....like new....lucky gamble.....petcock was pristine too....

xsohn
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pods or stock fileters

John, you think I might be to big on the main? When the bike came to me the air boxes were gone & the exhaust was rusted out. I thought you suggested the 45 for the pilot, & 140 on the main's.
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Pods or stock fileters

BS34.....45 is a good pilot....I use a 46 samo-samo maybe but better decel...but a bit finer adjustments ..now 140 mains would have to be some fancy exhaust that I have yet to see.....I always recommend 135's .....but stock stock needles totally epa suck and are untunable ...lean lean in the lower and mids mids forcing you to use big mains .........cruise lean and open throttle with heavy mains is rich.....and still having the leaner and hot running right cylinder....goodby rings and cylinders with heavy mains.....not today or tomorrow ....but sooner than you would want.....bet you are sorry you asked the ole needle salesman........catch 22 is that heavy mains seem to solve all the BS34 tuning problems.....but not cylinder and ring wash ......has to be the correct mixture all the way up.....

true with all the CV's.....but especially the BSer's.......epa stepped in heavy in 80 to dick us with their infinate wisdom.......got 55 MPG with mine stock 10 years ago and running like crap and get 55 today running fine.....again WTF.....My R/L needles are good........the very best I could make them....and will drop the right temps to match the left ....or close.....removing maybe 20 degrees off the engine in the summer...and run like a rapped ape they say......what ever the heck that would be......

xsjohn

Last edited by xsjohn on June 4, 2009, 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Pods or stock fileters

Thanx John, I got the Cannuck needles from Mike's before I found out you made them,& I do get a flat spot at about 4000.Seem's real lean there.Top end is real strong. Did not ever smell fuel in the oil, but with my old honker, I could be missing it. Will try the 135's. BTW, how do you make a paragraph on the computer? I don't have a clue.
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Pods or stock fileters

Space down with the enter key for paragraph.....and I hit the ....(periods).......thing so the words don't all run together because the spaces don't go 2 times ......we will get back on all this tomorrow or so....... xsjohn

once yo try the 135's you might re-set the mix screws (more).....and good luck on the hotter right........that battle is not easily won.........I did it though......

timing on the electronic models is too advanced....retard it a bit.........

And a lot of the lean feeling is actually the too high compression....makes it feel like it going to crap.....my 8-1 doesn't do that and I hated it.......didn't want to rev it...or when I did it felt like abuse......then when you rev above that it was just a claimity ....as you well know.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
newelly

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Pods or stock fileters

so if i was to do the exhaust only, what mods would have to be done to the carbs to make the bike run well. the carbs are currently stock, so what main and pilot would I have to use (again the 2 into 1 from mikes and the taper tip muffler
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1