650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Paint

Paint
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
pablohoney

PostPosted: May 29, 2009, 2:56 pm    Post subject: Paint

I am getting ready to paint, but my main problem is that I can't find anywhere decently priced. I really don't what to pay two or three hundred dollars to have to do it myself. Anyone know a good site? Thanks.
nudude53

PostPosted: May 29, 2009, 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint

Not really, paint prices are through the roof, I'm in the same boat myself right now.
steelburner

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint

Try R & E Paint and Supply. Their prices are good and they've got everything you need. I've used their Spray Max 2-part epoxy (2K) paint and it works great. You need a special organic-spray mask to use it if you want to keep your kidneys working, and they have the 3M brand for around $16.

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint

ok, so quick question regarding paint. I painted my tank this winter, first sanding it down almost to the metal, then several coats of primer (rattle-can), then several coats of flat black (again over-the-counter rattle can). I also sanded down and painted the side covers to match, and things turned out nicely. Well, wouldn't you know it, I went to get gas the other day, and as I was moving the gas nozzle into position over the tank, before I even squeezed the lever, a flood of gasoline for some reason came pouring out of the nozzle, and has stained my tank (my to my dismay). I can't afford a professional paint job, so I'm wondering what my options are? Can I simply do a light sanding where the tank is stained by the gasoline, and apply the spray paint? Or would it be best to remove the tank from the bike, sand it down again, re-paint it, then apply some sort of top-coat to help protect it from this happening again? And if this is my best route, what is y'alls recommendation for a protective matte clear-coat to protect the paint? Suggestions welcome!!
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint

You've answered your question, lite sand over the whole tank & repaint.Better than trying to match it in just that spot. Finish off with a top coat of clearcoat, preferably of the urethain nature, as they are pretty much fuel proof( they're very resistant to staining).Not too bad a job, do it one afternoon, install & ride the next day. Keep us posted as to what you do. ,,,Gordo
nudude53

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint

The best way to fix it is to remove the tank. I've used a urethane 2 part auto paint over rattle can primer with nice results (Dupli-Color sandable primer), it didn't wrinkle or craze the primer at all and is seemingly gas proof. I got to test that out right after I painted it, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. No probs. The paint I used was Omni, about 50 bux for a quart with the reducer and Hardener, way better than 250 for the pint size version of the Tri-Color brand. You will need a compressor and a gun though, I haven't tried the mix-your-own spray bomb system yet but I'm told it works well. As far as I know urethane is the only paint that is fuel proof.

tx #290 paint 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  237.51 KB
 Viewed:  82 Time(s)

tx #290 paint 1.jpg

tx #290 paint 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  203.19 KB
 Viewed:  83 Time(s)

tx #290 paint 2.jpg

tx #290 paint 3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  385.29 KB
 Viewed:  86 Time(s)

tx #290 paint 3.jpg

pablohoney

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint

When you repaint, what I have found to make a huge difference, is to give to really light sanding with fine steel wool, between coats. Makes it much more durable. Good luck.
nudude53

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint

Sorry Gordo, wasn't trying to steal your thunder, you got it posted before my pics loaded! Laughing
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint

Hey, no problem's here. We are all just tryin' to help. Thank you, though, for taking the time to apoligize. It is appreciated.
nudude53

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint

Gordo:
I've had many years practicing apologies, apparently it has finally paid off. Twisted Evil

rhilker

PostPosted: June 5, 2009, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint

Wax the s*** out of it after painting. I've had a couple of times where gas has got on to the tank but with compound and wax it comes right back.

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1